LIMITED: Devils Canyon Trail Run 4/27/13

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the mid 1800's, there used to be an old stage route that ran from San Diego to Yuma and while most of it has since become a part of Interstate 8, there is still a section of that original route that works its way through a narrow canyon between Ocotillo and Jacumba and it is known as Devils Canyon. Up until recently, this trail had been closed to vehicular traffic but has since been reopened by permit only. Now, I should note that the BLM issue permits for only 7 weekends from October 1 to April 30 and requires applications to be submitted 180 days in advance and requires liability insurance to be provided as well. Because of all this, I had all but given up on ever running this trail but, after a lot of hard work and a last minute offer by Off Road Evolution to help acquire insurance for us, it looks like we just might be able to make this run happen after all.

Having said all that, I do need to let you know that we are limited to the amount of rigs that can come. To help ensure we could cover the cost of insurance, I have asked a few people to join us in advance but we still have a few more spots available. Although the trail is short, it is my understanding that it is tough with a very real chance for breaks and body damage and because of this, I will be making the following requirements:

REQUIREMENTS
• $100 Per Jeep for Permit/Insurance
• 4-Doors - 37" MT's
• 2-Doors - 35" MT's
• Lockers Front & Rear
• Rocker Guards
• Winch
• Tools & Recovery Gear
• Prepared for Breaks/Body Damage
• Well Working CB Radio

WHO'S COMING
1. Cindy & Eddie
2. Off Road Evolution
3. Trail Bud
4. Moochie
5. mcpuck
6. JeepFan
7. RanchoRubi
8. Ragnar JK
9. ramin

ALONG FOR THE RIDE
1. Dmanuel

UPDATE 04/25/13:
Good news everyone, I just got the permit and our Devils Canyon run is a 100% GO!! While it isn't required, Cindy and I will be heading down on Friday and booking a room at the Ayres Hotel in Alpine through Sunday. Click on the link below if you would like to make reservations there as well:

http://www.ayreshotels.com/san-diego/hotel-alpine.aspx

Of course, you are more than welcome to just come down on Saturday and treat this as a day run if you'd like. If you come on Saturday, we will be doing breakfast in town and rolling at 9 AM. Please be gassed up and ready to go. So you know, the weather for this weekend is supposed to be in the 90's with lows in the 70's so we'll be running this one doorless/topless... well, almost topless anyway :cool:

So that there is no misunderstanding here, if you are not on the list above, you WILL NOT be allowed to join us on this run. DO NOT try to show up at the last minute with the hopes of tagging along. There is a maximum vehicle and body count allowed on the trail and ONLY the names above will be included on the permit!! I am not kidding about this.

Please let me know if you'd like to join us or if you have any questions.

TheDuff

Now your broken locker bothers me Russ. I would have loved to play camera man for ya on this one...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
Wow! What an opportunity! Don't see how I can make it though. :(

I too will eagerly await the video. 👍

JAGS

Hooked
Nowhere near ready for this type of crawling, but looks forward to a WAL video coming very soon.

Looks real fun for those going.

Brankz

Please make a video for does who can't go at least I can have the rush in our house

Branks ...
WAYALIFE mobile app

looks like an awesome opportunity.... dammit i need a PR44!!!! curses :mad:

i will be looking forward to the pics, vids and stories...

andrew -

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I thought I saw overlanderjk in some pics? He has a front 30 I thought. I have one to and have been saving so I know how you feel.

That wasn't on this trail. From the above linked video this trail is tough.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Paisano

"I'm nervous, I'm excited. I'm 90% excited and 10% scared or It's like 90% scared and 10% excited but that's what makes it so much fun":thumb:

Top Bottom