Noob Coil over question..

Trembley

So you see all these videos of really nicely built rigs running coil-overs...see all that amazing flex and it sure looks like they don't disconnect their sway bar links...or is it just my imagination and they are all running rubicons and pressing that magic button and the sway links just look like they are still connected?

I really don't know...leave it to me to ask those obvious questions I guess...I use JKS quick disco's with my budget boost and am tiring of the terrible ride and thinking of where my suspension goes next and just want to fully understand how everything works before I weigh the pro's and cons of everything including costs.

Cheers
Ben

Tcdawg

What you are probably seeing is the use of Currie's Anti Rock or the SwayLoc. .

I doubt many of those running CO's are using the rubi disconnect, although I suppose someone may be doing it.

StrizzyChris

they probably do have a rubi with edisco which doesn't actually require removing the links and appears connected with corrected length links

edit: and yes there is that magic button in the rubi that you are talking about ;)

Last edited:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
they probably do have a rubi with edisco which doesn't actually require removing the links and appears connected with corrected length links

edit: and yes there is that magic button in the rubi that you are talking about ;)

Yep! That’s what I’m running! :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What you are probably seeing is the use of Currie's Anti Rock or the SwayLoc.

I doubt many of those running CO's are using the rubi disconnect, although I suppose someone may be doing it.

Actually, you'd be incorrect here. Most of us running coil overs ARE using the Rubi Disconnect just with much longer links. The e-disco is awesome and I love mine.

main.php

Trembley

So I would need to hang on to my quicker disco's and still be disconnecting....just thought I'd check. I have the 2.5-6" adjustable variety so should be covered.

I might consider an anti rock in the far far away future, but I don't want to start that debate all over.

I'm just seriously considering bolt on coilovers at least in the front to start.

Thanks for the info guys.

Ben

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I might consider an anti rock in the far far away future, but I don't want to start that debate all over.

Ben

For the money, I would recommend finding a Rubi e-disco motor, even one that doesn't work and installing that with the EVO No-Limits Swaybar disco. Probably run around the same price and will not be noisy. IMHO.

Atch

So I would need to hang on to my quicker disco's and still be disconnecting....just thought I'd check. I have the 2.5-6" adjustable variety so should be covered.

I'm just seriously considering bolt on coilovers at least in the front to start.

Ben

Yes, you will want to disconnect one way or another.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Ben

Forget the Anti-Rock debate, just take into consideration how much one costs. Then, take into consideration how much a used Rubi e-disco is. EVEN IF it were broken, you could still install an EVO no limits actuator for a fraction of the price. Best part is, you can still have stock like stability on the street or when you need it on the trail and disconnect with ease whenever you want as well. To me, it's a no brainer but, that's just me :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the money, I would recommend finding a Rubi e-disco motor, even one that doesn't work and installing that with the EVO No-Limits Swaybar disco. Probably run around the same price and will not be noisy. IMHO.

LOL!! Beat me to it only most of the time, you can do it for far less. :yup:

Trembley

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with using the quicker disco's and the anti rock seems like a lot of money to not have the best of either world quite honestly...

Doesn't seem to smart of an investment to me, but there are people out there that love it..

I know lots of guys stick with the stock sway bar up front but it looks like they run something different out back...any recommendations there Eddie?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I really don't have a problem with using the quicker disco's and the anti rock seems like a lot of money to not have the best of either world quite honestly...

Doesn't seem to smart of an investment to me, but there are people out there that love it..

I know lots of guys stick with the stock sway bar up front but it looks like they run something different out back...any recommendations there Eddie?

Not sure why but, a lot of coil over guys run an Anti-Rock in the rear but I just run a factory sway bar.

main.php

As you can see above, my limiting strap is taught - the factory sway bar does NOT limit flex - just adds stability.

Trembley

Nice,

What was that thing you broke off the back end of your rig on the 2012 jkx that the guy went all ninja with? I thought it looked like a sway bar arm...could be my ignorance on the evo lever system kicking in however.

Thank you for the replies btw!

Last edited:

sean.m.adams33

I can't recall if my coilover setup recommended or required the anti rock in the rear. Either way I haven't had a problem with it. Besides the price.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Nice,

What was that thing you broke off the back end of your rig on the 2012 jkx that the guy went all ninja with? I thought it looked like a sway bar arm...could be my ignorance on the evo lever system kicking in however.

Thank you for the replies btw!

That was 2011 on billings canyon in Colorado and was a rear sway bar link.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That was 2011 on billings canyon in Colorado and was a rear sway bar link.

What he said. We were running a custom sway bar in the rear - similar to an Anti-Rock but with a softer torsion bar and it broke. I just went back to stock and have been happy with it.

Trembley

You're right it was 2011 man time flies...yeah it looked like a link attached to an arm and was wondering if that was part of the evo lever or if he was running something other than stock at that point...

From his pick above its obvious the stocker works just fine with appropriate links.

Just asking to satisfy my curiosity.

Ahhhh posted just before me...thanks for the clarification!

I really do appreciate it....investigating just how bare bones I can go with at least having coilovers up front and still weighing options in the rear.

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom