Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Carpetless in a JKU

Running Carpetless in a JKU

Im thinking about bed lining the tub of the jeep this coming week and I was wondering If anyone else has done it. If you have, just a few questions:

What did you do to prep the tub?
    what liner did you use?
    About how long did it take you?

Any help would be awesome!

-Hunter

Here's a write-up I did back when I lined my CJ's tub:

http://4x4xplor.com/herculiner.html

However, in hindsight, I personally wouldn't recommend doing it. The factory carpet does an EXCELLENT job of keeping the inside your Jeep quite as well as shielding you from the crazy heat that would otherwise radiate from the floor.

Knows a Thing or Two FrankenJeeper's Avatar
    I lined the inside of my JK last year with Duplicolor Bed Armor. I just lightly sanded all areas to be applied and then just rolled it on. Between prep and applying multiple coats it took all day.

As Eddie said, the carpet does eliminate heat and keep things fairly quiet. I dealt with the heat up front with just a pair of rubber mats. It is very noisy but I love being able to just hose out the inside without removing and reinstalling carpet if it gets too dirty.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, guys! My factory carpet is in pretty bad shape. I have been running without carpet in the front for almost a month now. Im looking for a different look now. I may try to use the write up and see how I like the bed liner. If I don't, I may look for an after market bed rug of some kind.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Here's a write-up I did back when I lined my CJ's tub:

http://4x4xplor.com/herculiner.html

However, in hindsight, I personally wouldn't recommend doing it. The factory carpet does an EXCELLENT job of keeping the inside your Jeep quite as well as shielding you from the crazy heat that would otherwise radiate from the floor.
    I agree with this.... I get the cleaning is easier without carpet. I am currently running carpetless for this reason, but I have not and do not plan to bed line the floor. I still use the floor mats to cover the goop that the factory puts on the floor. When it's time to cleanup, the painted floor cleans way easier than most textured liner. I agree with Eddie that it is louder and more heat comes through the floor but this seems to be a medium between a lined floor and carpet. Just my

just finished bedlining the tub and then some. getting the sound deadener off was the biggest pain, but according to a few people a heat gun or dish soap or several other techniques helped it cone right off. i went the hammer and chizel route. they all work, but mine was harder than most lol. after everything was removed, i sanded everything, wiped clean, then hit it with acetone. after that, paint away! i also used duplicolor bed liner. just be sure to tape up bolts and bolt holes! otherwise your stuff wont go back in without a lot of elbow grease and a torch, ask me how I know...ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403999797.444375.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403999806.175891.jpg

RLTW!!!

I helped my buddy line the interior of his TJ, prep is very important to get the liner to stick and completely seal. if you don't prep properly you may get areas where it'll separate from the tub and if it tears you'll can end up with water getting trapped underneath - I've seen this in happen in truck beds.

wash the interior, degrease it - we used some type of cleaner he got from his work, scuff it up well, wipe it down again and then we used cheese cloth to get everything.
    tape off anything you don't want bedlined. Those orange ear plugs work great to plug holes you don't want bedline inside of.
    He paints for a living so his prep may be more than most but I must say his liner has held up to a lot of abuse in the last 2 years.

Took us 4 days to prep his TJ - but we took seats and everything out - prepping took majority of the time.

It took about 2 weeks to cure because of the humidity - he put it in his garage on the 1st night but it ended up stinking up his entire house so he left it outside. Took about 3 days for the smell to get out of his house.

I decided to use BedRug, so far it's been easy to clean and held up well but have only had it in since March. I didn't put the piece over the rear storage because it just Velcro's to it - I'm planning something else so I can use the BedRug piece.

Quote Originally Posted by jmatta33 View Post
    just finished bedlining the tub and then some. getting the sound deadener off was the biggest pain, but according to a few people a heat gun or dish soap or several other techniques helped it cone right off. i went the hammer and chizel route. they all work, but mine was harder than most lol. after everything was removed, i sanded everything, wiped clean, then hit it with acetone. after that, paint away! i also used duplicolor bed liner. just be sure to tape up bolts and bolt holes! otherwise your stuff wont go back in without a lot of elbow grease and a torch, ask me how I know...ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403999797.444375.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403999806.175891.jpg

RLTW!!!
    Thank you! It looks great! About how long did it take you to remove everything?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast