Running Carpetless in a JKU

Tranquillity

If heat is an issue you can still put lizard skin prior to the bed liner. That's what I did and noticed a good difference. Would not invest in their sound stuff as a jeep ain't really well sound proof but had the gallon for free so I did it in mine. I honestly "think" it made a difference but I ran my jeep on bare steel without anything beside the driver seat for a while so I can't tell about that.

What you need more importantly is time, a lot of time. Prepping is the key

That's the result I got with plastikote, time will tell about the product.

Good luck

GOPR0503_zps5ee2780d.jpg

ShinDiggity

Stripping the carpet in the JKU.

Anybody strip all the carpet out of their rig and just run it like that? I want to eventually rhino line the whole rear cargo and floor. Just wondering. I'm tired of the dog hair just sticking to the carpet on the floor and it's a horrible time vacuuming it out.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Holy crap if I'm seeing a ghost!

Lol. TTFHell recently did to install some dynamat, but he reinstalled it. I think he said it only took him about 15 minutes :cheesy:

SFNick

I ran my Jeep with no carpet or bedline for almost a year before I finally got around to Bedlining it. I will say you get alot more road noise & heat from the drivetrain. I have thought about buying Bedtred/Bedrug for that reason but I just cant give up the ability to spray out the jeep if needed.

ShinDiggity

Frank I've been busy with work and getting baby stuff for the little one on the way! Hopefully I free up soon so I can pay more attention to the jeep.

Thanks for the responses. Not sure if the extra road noise and heat (not that it's hot these days) will be ok with the infant riding in the car. Will bedlining it eliminate the noise and heat issue?

SFNick

Frank I've been busy with work and getting baby stuff for the little one on the way! Hopefully I free up soon so I can pay more attention to the jeep.

Thanks for the responses. Not sure if the extra road noise and heat (not that it's hot these days) will be ok with the infant riding in the car. Will bedlining it eliminate the noise and heat issue?

I used Rustoleum Bedliner it's not that thick so it didn't do much for noise dampening. The heat isn't that bad really. I do have a aftermarket muffler that sits under the rear driver side floor board & it can get pretty hot in the summer & on long trips. Nothing a little extra heat shielding underneath won't fix.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
What's up ShinDiggity! I have ran both 2 and 4 door without the carpet. As mentioned before, it's louder and you can feel a bit of heat through the floor, even with the Jeep rubber floor mats. As a bonus, they ended up scratching most of the sound proofing stuff off to the point it was coming off in chunks. I ended up just reinstalling the carpet. For the CJ7 I used Hurculiner. It faded very fast, would not clean up at all, and overall I was not impressed. I run most of the year with doors off and it started fading within a few months. Hope this helps!

jmatta33

Anybody strip all the carpet out of their rig and just run it like that? I want to eventually rhino line the whole rear cargo and floor. Just wondering. I'm tired of the dog hair just sticking to the carpet on the floor and it's a horrible time vacuuming it out.

Yeah I pulled the carpet awhile back. couple things. I wouldn't recommend pulling it until youre ready to line it. anytime it gets wet it gets very slippery. also there are some spots that have sound deadener that look really bad when the carpet is out. If you can live with both of those things then go for it. otherwise wait until your ready to spray the liner in. Also I would recommend spraying some kind of rubber undercoating to reduce heat/noise. its not terrible, but if I had to do it again i would.

BlackHawk08jk

I rolled in herculiner after I pulled the carpet and it worked pretty well. I scraped all the sound deadening crap of first tho ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420637501.941946.jpg

Rb1boxer_3

Has anyone ever put dynamat then rhino lined it. I'm wondering if it'll stick to dynamat. Thinking about doing this. Cause it'll help with the heat and road noise.

Out in the Boonies

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Has anyone ever put dynamat then rhino lined it. I'm wondering if it'll stick to dynamat. Thinking about doing this. Cause it'll help with the heat and road noise.

Out in the Boonies

You should look into lizard skin. We use it inside and out on some of sprinter van projects and it makes a big difference with both heat and sound

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RonG

I had a major leak with my hard top and pulled the carpets so they could dry out. I am thinking of leaving them out and just running with floor mats. My only concern is the wiring harness running down both sides by the rear doors. Do people do anything to protect them? Do I even need to worry about protecting them?

IMG_0623.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

I love running carpetless and have for several months. I haven't covered up the wiring harness but I have considered getting some wiring jackets for them.
IMG_2990.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Our WJ is carpetless with wiring all exposed. No issues so far after several years and hosing it out several times. I did make sure that any harness plugs under the seat were ziptied up just so they aren't SITTING in any water that would accumulate on the floor.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The carpeting in a JK is more than just decorative, it has heat shielding underneath it and help to keep the cabin cool and quieter. Because of it, I personally hate running carpetless but of course, my JK's mall crawlers so there's that.

Top Bottom