Running Carpetless in a JKU

jknikos

I run carpetless for almost a year now. I will mostly on mud and snow and cleaning is much easier but more noise and more heat during the summer. Having a 2dr sport i have not any wires to worry.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I pulled mine when I took on a. Inch of water/sand/dirt mixture. Pulled the entire interior out to clean it out with a water hose and a soft bristled paint brush. Cleaned the carpets with just the hose and no power washing or anything. Ran water over the carpet until there was no more dirty water coming out of it. Let it dry, went to reinstall and had sand/dirt fall out. So I left the carpet out. Still need to clean it. I put the slush mats back in though. I really didn't notice any more noise or heat but I also run with the windows down most of the time unless it's raining or snowing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CarolinaJK

It definitely looks much better with carpet, but I tend to get caught in the rain more often than I'd like to. Because of this, my carpet stayed wet and I decided to just pull it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Randy Tadevich

I kinda do both. I pulled the carpet from the rear cargo area, and left the carpet in the back seat wells and in the front. I actually like the look of the rear cargo area without the carpet. I will paint it all black when i paint the roll cage.

Sent from my SM-J320V using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

Been thinking about doing this myself. I had my TJ bed lined inside and out, which helped with noise, but it was definitely hotter. My JK hard top and Trek Top both leak when it rains hard leaving a perpetual mildew smell.

buckweil

Been thinking about doing this myself. I had my TJ bed lined inside and out, which helped with noise, but it was definitely hotter. My JK hard top and Trek Top both leak when it rains hard leaving a perpetual mildew smell.
That's why I pulled the carpet in my TJ haven't looked back since. It looks pretty cool to me. No sound difference or anything bad for me. So I say do it!

JAGS

Hooked
I wouldn't personally run without carpet and no other treatment/product for the reasons stated by eddie and others. Heat and noise.

I think IrishJK is using the bedrug product. Maybe he'll chime in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's why I pulled the carpet in my TJ haven't looked back since. It looks pretty cool to me. No sound difference or anything bad for me. So I say do it!

LOL!! You'll forgive me but the TJ with a 4.0L is noisier than shit. The OP has a JK and trust me, there is a sound difference as well as a stupid heat difference without the carpeting in. Not exactly the same thing but I personally still wouldn't run a TJ without the carpeting and didn't back when I owned one. But, that's just me.

Wethy

LOL!! You'll forgive me but the TJ with a 4.0L is noisier than shit. The OP has a JK and trust me, there is a sound difference as well as a stupid heat difference without the carpeting in. Not exactly the same thing but I personally still wouldn't run a TJ without the carpeting and didn't back when I owned one. But, that's just me.
Im curious how you feel about removing the carpet and rhino line/lineX the floor? Ive considered that as an alternative to carpet. But i cant see all the extra weight added plus the prep work involved in doing it all to be worth it. Id just as soon as keep my carpet.

KYRubi

I removed the carpet and plugs from mine after getting some mud and water inside. After running it a short time with no carpet or plugs, I got tired of the amount of heat and noise coming up through it. I installed Bedtred, which improved both, but I wasn't happy with it either since it covered the drain holes and I had to remove it to get the water to drain out. Water also got in between the pieces and trapped under it where it was heated up and stunk. I ended up having the tub Line-X'd which helps on both the noise and heat. Currently I keep the drain plugs in, and have the Mopar slush mats with the Line-X'd tub. It's a bit louder than stock, but not bad. As long as the plugs are in, the heat isn't bad either. I can drive for an hour and put my hand right by the transmission and it is barely warm.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Im curious how you feel about removing the carpet and rhino line/lineX the floor? Ive considered that as an alternative to carpet. But i cant see all the extra weight added plus the prep work involved in doing it all to be worth it. Id just as soon as keep my carpet.

So that it's clear, I have owned and still own Jeeps without carpeting. I had bedlined my old CJ7 and have bedlined the CJ5 that I have now. I will most likely bedline my Jeepster Commando as well but when it comes to the JK which has really good carpeting designed with heat shielding, I prefer to keep it installed. On Moby, a Jeep that's over 10 years old now, has been caught in downpours and has had it's floor pans completely flooded crossing rivers, I still have his factory carpeting installed. All you have to do is pull the drain plugs, prop up the carpeting a bit and leave your doors and/or top off to let it air out and dry. Hell, it would take a lot less time and effort to remove the carpeting and reinstall it than it would be to prep the tub to have it bedlined.

There is a place for bedlining but only if it's the "better" option. On a JK, it is not or at least, not to me.

Turbotastic

I have my carpets removed and tub bedlined. I haven't noticed any increase in road noise but the wind noise from the soft top usually drowned that out before anyways. I love being able to just hit the tub with the pressure washer. No issues with heat coming through either.

I would not recommend removing the carpet and leaving it. Either keep them in or bedline the tub.

tgoss

Does anyone here have any experience with a product called Bedtred? I really want to yank the carpet but I do like the look of having something a little more "finished" than just bare floor and I don't at all want to line-x it.

Top Bottom