This forum... bunch of sticks up yalls asses... and shit that doesn't stink!

dannymalkin

Those d ring tabs on the Olympic product look pretty thin to be used for recovery points... Maybe I'm wrong though

pvanweelden

i'm a little rusty with my shear calculations, but if that is only 3/8" steel, with a hole 1" from the edge.... in my head i get 6,000 lbs, that doesn't leave any factor for the vehicle being stuck. yikes

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Those d-ring mounts don't look that stout, least not as stout as the EVO ones look to me. I could be wrong though.

TheStick

i'm a little rusty with my shear calculations, but if that is only 3/8" steel, with a hole 1" from the edge.... in my head i get 6,000 lbs, that doesn't leave any factor for the vehicle being stuck. yikes

Yeah, looking pretty clear why it is half the price :rolleyes2:

LanceM

To each their own, if you think they are half as weak, knock yourself out...

Guess its always better to overkill than to save some $$$...

2013CGJKU

To each their own, if you think they are half as weak, knock yourself out...

Guess its always better to overkill than to save some $$$...

No. Wrong. It's better to spend some money than kill someone when that tab breaks off. There's no way in hell I'd ever hook up to one of those things.

Levi
2013 CG JKU

LanceM

That is about the most stupid thing Ive heard... ROFL

Im sure Olympic sells things that are destine to kill people...

Yeah... 100% sure...

LanceM

I was told my purchase has the potential to kill someone...

That is a pretty serious thing to say to someone...

Justify? What exactly did I justify?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
It's hard for me not to think you have a motive for being here. Posting up in alternative in the thread for EVO Mfg. Product. Hmmmmm.

Welcome to Wayalife!

2013CGJKU

That is about the most stupid thing Ive heard... ROFL

Im sure Olympic sells things that are destine to kill people...

Yeah... 100% sure...

You're right bro... the small company that Olympic is could NEVER EVER EVER EVER make the same mistake that companies like GM or Toyota or any of the other major auto manufacturers make every single year with R&D departments that blow more money every year crashing cars than Olympic could even dream of bringing in... and God knows that they would NEVER produce something to pad their bottom line like Teraflex does. Who has ever heard of such a thing!? Winch lines have never snapped and never killed anyone either because their manufacturer didn't design them to do that... riiiiight.

Levi
2013 CG JKU

2013CGJKU

I was told my purchase has the potential to kill someone...

That is a pretty serious thing to say to someone...

Justify? What exactly did I justify?

It's a seriously real thing too dickweed. Your entire vehicle has that ability, that doesn't mean that you don't have the option of buying one.

P.S. What is with all the damn panty waists in Texas lately???

Levi
2013 CG JKU

In the spirit of not turning this into another down-spiraling thread...

There is a reason the shackle itself has the cross-sectional width that it does. That amount of material is required to handle the forces it will see. It doesn't make sense to mount a shackle that has a cross section of 3/4" to a plate that is only 3/8". Now, I will admit that I have not done the stress analysis. I hope Olympic has. It seems plausible that the a straight line pull MIGHT be okay with these tabs. But almost no recovery is ideal, and often have a side load associated with them. I am almost certain that these tabs wouldn't handle any amount of side loading and would bend, resulting in metal fatigue and making a failure even more likely.

I have seen cheap shackles and homemade mounts fail, and the resulting strap and gear whip is certainly capable of killing someone. Recovery points are no place to skimp. My gut is telling me you don't trust them either and they are purely aesthetic. (Thus the big ass hook in your receiver.)

If your purposes are for looks the Olympic mount is fine... But I would not trust it for recovery.

LanceM

You're right bro... the small company that Olympic is could NEVER EVER EVER EVER make the same mistake that companies like GM or Toyota or any of the other major auto manufacturers make every single year with R&D departments that blow more money every year crashing cars than Olympic could even dream of bringing in... and God knows that they would NEVER produce something to pad their bottom line like Teraflex does. Who has ever heard of such a thing!? Winch lines have never snapped and never killed anyone either because their manufacturer didn't design them to do that... riiiiight.

Levi
2013 CG JKU

That is about the worlds biggest assumption Ive ever heard... might as well compare Olympic to NASA, an F16, a crock pot, and or winch line? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.. Want to pull some other shit out your ass? You have an opinion.. I respect that, but to say something is going to kill someone and then have zero to bring to the table in regards to proof is again... stupid..

Take off the EVO blinders... Sure they make good stuff... Some of the best... But because its not the best doesn't mean its going to kill people... Gimme a break...

Give me incident that killed someone with this product and I will DETAIL in a thread my removal of it... Otherwise STFU and move on...

As for working for or sponsoring Olympic in any way, form or fashion, you would be grossly mistaken.. I pay for my shit the exact same way as everyone does... I know no person that works for their company.. I don't even know someone who knows someone that works for their company...

And because I posted an alternative to the product listed... kiss my ass... I'm not breaking any rules... People have and want to see choices... Unless I woke up in the wrong country...

LanceM

Top Bottom