Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ODYSSEY Extreme Series Battery PC1220 for 2012-Up Jeep JK Wranglers

ODYSSEY Extreme Series Battery PC1220 for 2012-Up Jeep JK Wranglers

In 2012, Chrysler decided to switch out the standard Group 34 battery they had been using since 2007 and replaced it with a Group 91. For the most part, this would be no big deal as they are pretty much the same thing but, there is one key difference that makes it difficult to use a Group 34 and, that is the terminals are on opposite sides. Because the power and ground leads are cut to such an exact length, you can't simply cross them over and call it a day. Of course, to complicate things even more, a Group 91 battery isn’t really a common size and certainly not one you can find easily in a deep cycle format or, at least not until now.

As luck would have it, Odyssey offers an Extreme Series Battery PC1220 which is offered in a Group 48 size (a Group 91 equivalent) is really the best battery you can get bar none. In this write-up, you get to see just how east it is to install one in your 2012 or newer JK.

UPDATE: this article was written back in 2012 and the PC1200 is no longer sold in the US. I would now recommend the 34R-PC1500 which is also a better battery.

What you will need:
    ODYSSEY 34R-PC1500
    • 10mm Socket/Wrench
    • Long Ratchet Extension
    • Ratchet

Installation
    Here's a shot of what the new Odyssey Extreme Series Battery PC1220 looks like.

1. Using a 10mm socket or wrench, loosen the clamp nut from the negative terminal of your battery and then disconnect it. Repeat on the positive terminal.

2. Use a 10mm socket attached to a long extension to remove the bolt and clamp securing the base of your battery to its tray.

3. Remove the old battery and replace it with your new Odyssey Extreme Series one.

4. Reinstall the battery base clamp and secure it in place with the factory bolt. You will need a 10mm socket attached to a long extension for this job.

5. Reconnect the positive and then negative leads to your new battery and then, tighten up the terminal clamp nuts to secure them in place.

That's it, you now have a great deep cycle battery perfect for winching and running auxillary lights or even a refridgerator.

For more information regarding Odyssey Extreme Series Batteries, click on the following link:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html

To find an Odyssey dealer near you, click on the link below to see their Dealer Locator:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/locator.html

Nice, clear write up. Thanks for the info.

Great write up! Just an FYI, DO NOT drop the terminal bolts into the battery tray because they are a royal pain to get back out. lol Been there done that. One found the smallest hole is the tightest spot and decided to hang out there.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Snorkelz
    1975 Jeep DJ5 - Mail Call

Awesome write up!
    SEMPER FIDELIS!

2013 Black JKUR
    Zac Brown of the PNW

This over the Sears Platinum Die Hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Trembley View Post
    This over the Sears Platinum Die Hard?
    The Sears Platinum Die Hard Batteries are essential Odyssey's but, they are not available in a Group 48.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife

The Sears Platinum Die Hard Batteries are essential Odyssey's but, they are not available in a Group 48.
    What did I buy then?

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    What did I buy then?
    If you got what I had got, it was a Sears Platinum DieHard Group 35. It works but, it's a bit smaller than a 91 or 48.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    If you got what I had got, it was a Sears Platinum DieHard Group 35. It works but, it's a bit smaller than a 91 or 48.
    Great...yet another thing now smaller on my jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    Great...yet another thing now smaller on my jeep.
    Are you getting too used to people telling u its not about the size, but rather how u work it?!
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast