Napalm's Billet Steel Vol. 2! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Pictury Diary.

Napalm

Now that all the orders have been placed, I can finally announce the next plans for Steel.

So a lot have asked me why I decided to get rid of the Rancho ROCKGear Tube doors and SpiderWebShade skins. Here are several reasons why after a week or so of running them, I decided that for the investment that I made I wanted something different.

1. I decided I needed something with locks. I know, locks on a half door? WTF? In the week I spent running these, my Jeep spent some time at the firehouse and at my family gym. In that time, I can't tell you how many friends and co-workers would just come up to my Jeep and mess with the half doors. They'd sit in it, mess with stuff, etc. These things never happened just running doorless. I decided having a key lock would be nice to keep nosy people and also keep my investments from getting stolen while my Jeep is unattended.

2. I want to have the ability to run soft uppers. I know this is something I originally said I wouldn't need, but after running half doors for a short time I realized it was something I wanted to do quite possibly year round. Having a door that doesn't run uppers makes that difficult, and made it hard for me to want to stay with the Rancho's.

3. I wanted a true half door. If the Rancho's did anything for me, it showed me how awesome it was to have half doors. It truly does make the doorless experience much more livable/enjoyable experience. I found myself wanting a true solid half door instead of the Rancho door with a shade.

So... back to the drawing board.

I began considering my options. I looked at things such as price, reviews, features. I considered Rugged Ridge, Savvy, JCR, Strike Force Zebra, and Bestop.

After looking at each door, and then eliminating each one for certain reasons, and then having to expand my budget, I found the one that will work for exactly what I am looking for.

Bestop HighRock Element Doors with full steel Enclosures!

I went with these doors because they offer quite a few options. They do lock, Bestop or Rugged Ridge uppers can be purchased and used and you can reuse the factory mirrors with them which is a big deal for me. The steel skins come powdercoated black but can be painted or wrapped and you can install interior storage bags on the doors. I am also a big fan of Bestop as a whole, I have always had great experiences with their customer services and products. In my experience with them, they have always stood behind their products and that's a big deal to me. Yes, I blew my original $600 dollar budget completely out the window. From what I have read, the install looks to be difficult, hopefully we will see very soon!

On the way we have:
- Bestop HighRock Element Front doors
- Bestop HighRock Element Rear doors
- Front Steel Enclosure Panels
- Rear Steel Enclosure Panels

:)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

Working through the holiday weekend! We are getting a lot of rain but at least Steel has a dry place to stay! IMG_2888.jpg

Chomping at the bits to get the new doors installed! I've gotten 2/4 boxes just sitting in my garage! I did a test fit of the Element tubes yesterday, and they fit awesome! Very similar dimensions to a factory half if not spot on.

Napalm

Picked up the first mod for our multi-day camping trip. Rear seat pet bed and protector. Tried it out today, works great!!
IMG_2897.jpg
Also got Steel washed up in preparation for the new Bestop half doors coming today :)
IMG_2896.jpg

Patiently waiting for some boxes to be delivered today :)

Napalm

Haha, no chance :) not after what I just went through installing them!

Done!
IMG_2914.jpg
IMG_2913.jpg

The best way to describe these doors, is awesome BUT quirky. They are incredibly solid and really are true half doors at a decent price compared to RR or Mopar halfs, but that doesn't come without a price.

The main quirk of these is that the "powdercoat" that Bestop sends on them is literally paper thin. YOU WILL scratch these doors installing the hinges, I promise you. No matter how hard I tried, I did. I even used masking tape and still scratched it around the hinges. If you even think about touching the doors with anything other than a soft skinned finger, you will scratch the doors. There are little tiny blemishes around the hinges on each door that I'll live with for now because other than that, these doors are great. With a good aftermarket paint job on them, you wouldn't have this issue.

Also, the front driver side door I received was damaged. It has a large scratch and an odd paint hazing. Bestop is awesome though, and sending me a replacing soon.
IMG_2910.jpg
IMG_2911.jpg

So my first impressions are; these doors are a great budget friendly half door coming in at right at 1k for the set, they are solid and feel is if they will hold up over time. That being said, I wouldn't buy them if you wasn't planning on doing paint on them in the future. The powercoat that they come with just will not handle the elements we put our Jeeps up too.

Full review coming soon!

Now, what/how to paint them?! Ideas please! :)

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Haha, no chance :) not after what I just went through installing them!

Done!
View attachment 261533
View attachment 261534

The best way to describe these doors, is awesome BUT quirky. They are incredibly solid and really are true half doors at a decent price compared to RR or Mopar halfs, but that doesn't come without a price.

The main quirk of these is that the "powdercoat" that Bestop sends on them is literally paper thin. YOU WILL scratch these doors installing the hinges, I promise you. No matter how hard I tried, I did. I even used masking tape and still scratched it around the hinges. If you even think about touching the doors with anything other than a soft skinned finger, you will scratch the doors. There are little tiny blemishes around the hinges on each door that I'll live with for now because other than that, these doors are great. With a good aftermarket paint job on them, you wouldn't have this issue.

Also, the front driver side door I received was damaged. It has a large scratch and an odd paint hazing. Bestop is awesome though, and sending me a replacing soon.
View attachment 261535
View attachment 261536

So my first impressions are; these doors are a great budget friendly half door coming in at right at 1k for the set, they are solid and feel is if they will hold up over time. That being said, I wouldn't buy them if you wasn't planning on doing paint on them in the future. The powercoat that they come with just will not handle the elements we put our Jeeps up too.

Full review coming soon!

Now, what/how to paint them?! Ideas please! :)

Take them to a body shop and match the color of you jeep

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Looks good and I'm with the rest of the guys on color matching. With the soft uppers you really will have a lot more versatility. The other doors are great for what they are but are limited by the weather and zero security. Glad you found a semi-budget friendly solution that will work better for your needs.:thumb:

Top Bottom