Napalm's Billet Steel Vol. 2! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Pictury Diary.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Just caught up on the new thread Nathan loving the progress that Steel is making can't wait to see more to come
Also digging the half doors bud love the new look

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
The half doors look great! I'm going to end up buying them eventually. I love my soft doors but in the winter the hard enclosure would be nice :)

Napalm

Lame FD shot. My replacement enclosures are in from Bestop so looks like it's time to grab some paint/wrap quotes.
IMG_2953.jpg

That's awesome man keep up the good work

Thanks David!

The half doors look great! I'm going to end up buying them eventually. I love my soft doors but in the winter the hard enclosure would be nice :)

Thanks! They are pretty awesome. Once you get passed the quirks, they make for a solid decently priced true half door. If I had the uppers, I'd have no problem running them year round.

Nice! I used mine last month to pull a dude (driving a civic) out of a rutted muddy parking spot, right here in the city. I was driving away not knowing he was stuck, and he chased after me, yelling at me to stop. He told me a jeep was going to be his next auto purchase lol.

Napalm

Took the bikini top off today and took a cruise for some paint quotes for my half doors.
IMG_2966.jpg
Here's what I found out!

Paint - Surprisingly, All the paint & body shops I went to stated that they could not paint the doors. This is because they are mostly only in the business of collision repair. They told me I'd need to find a custom paint shop but that I'd be looking in a ballpark of $600-$700 for the doors colormatched most likely.

Vinyl Wrap - I spoke to my Vinyl guy and he stated that it would be a very difficult job. He stated he couldn't wrap the entire door just the outside. He did have a perfect color match and quoted me $600 for all four doors.
IMG_2965.jpg
IMG_2963.jpg

Powdercoat - Possibly the best option of the day, there is a small powder coating and sandblasting shop just down the road from my house. He's been recommended to me by some in the area. While he can't offer a perfect match, he offered up this one for me as the best that he could do. He said with a clear coat, it would darken it slightly and maybe match a little better. He quoted me $250 for all four inside and out for powdercoat and clear coat. He said it would take about a week.

IMG_2960.jpg
IMG_2961.jpg

Thoughts?! Opinions? I've never had something powdercoated before. Is this gonna be my toughest/ most durable option or would a Vinyl wrap be more durable? Looks like paint is out of the question. Let me know what y'all think!

Nice to have a working winch. I've used mine off the trail a few times as well.

Nice! I used mine last month to pull a dude (driving a civic) out of a rutted muddy parking spot, right here in the city. I was driving away not knowing he was stuck, and he chased after me, yelling at me to stop. He told me a jeep was going to be his next auto purchase lol.

I was super excited to use it regardless of the situation. I'll be the first one to say that I am very uneducated when it comes to recovery and winching so I was glad to get the opportunity.

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

Took the bikini top off today and took a cruise for some paint quotes for my half doors.
View attachment 262557
Here's what I found out!

Paint - Surprisingly, All the paint & body shops I went to stated that they could not paint the doors. This is because they are mostly only in the business of collision repair. They told me I'd need to find a custom paint shop but that I'd be looking in a ballpark of $600-$700 for the doors colormatched most likely.

Vinyl Wrap - I spoke to my Vinyl guy and he stated that it would be a very difficult job. He stated he couldn't wrap the entire door just the outside. He did have a perfect color match and quoted me $600 for all four doors.
View attachment 262562
View attachment 262564

Powdercoat - Possibly the best option of the day, there is a small powder coating and sandblasting shop just down the road from my house. He's been recommended to me by some in the area. While he can't offer a perfect match, he offered up this one for me as the best that he could do. He said with a clear coat, it would darken it slightly and maybe match a little better. He quoted me $250 for all four inside and out for powdercoat and clear coat. He said it would take about a week.

View attachment 262567
View attachment 262568

Thoughts?! Opinions? I've never had something powdercoated before. Is this gonna be my toughest option or would a Vinyl wrap be more durable? Looks like paint is out of the question. Let me know what y'all think!

I was super excited to use it regardless of the situation. I'll be the first one to say that I am very uneducated when it comes to recovery and winching so I was glad to get the opportunity.

Bro, do you really think with your OCD you should get it painted something "close"?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
The price of the powder sounds great, but the color is a bit off. Idk.. I might just pay the 250 and see how close he can get it. It's not that big of an investment and shouldn't stand out as much as the black on silver

Napalm

Bro, do you really think with your OCD you should get it painted something "close"?

I'm just not sure if I can justify the $500ish dollar increase that it would take to get a perfect paint match when I think about it. The body shop that quoted me the $600-$700 said that was on the low end. Plus, I'm intrigued by the durability of powdercoat. The Vinyl wrap is just out of the question. LoL!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
If it was me, and I may switch to these doors I would get them powder coated. If you want to do vinyl, which my guy I was telling you about quoted me $200 since its just the outside. Your doors would be even easier I think due to being metal and you can actually pull off the door latches and everything else.

Here is where I ordered my vinyl if you wanted to test that out yourself. http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-1080-G251-Gloss-Sterling-Silver-Vinyl-Wrap-p/gloss1080g251.htm

Napalm

You can get an HPLV sprayer at HF for under $200 and buy a quart of color match paint and some clear coat off Amazon... 😎

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

LoL! That would be a trainwreck!

Are you happy with the doors over all?

Overall, yes. They have some quirks which seems to be common with all different types of half doors but for the price, they make for a pretty good buy. After running them for a month or so, i plan to post a full review on them.

Hahahahah, I tried that once....

LoL, sounds about like me!

If it was me, and I may switch to these doors I would get them powder coated. If you want to do vinyl, which my guy I was telling you about quoted me $200 since its just the outside. Your doors would be even easier I think due to being metal and you can actually pull off the door latches and everything else.

Here is where I ordered my vinyl if you wanted to test that out yourself. http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-1080-G251-Gloss-Sterling-Silver-Vinyl-Wrap-p/gloss1080g251.htm

Thanks for the tip, I think I'm really leaning towards powdercoating. I want something I don't wanna have to worry about.

USMC Wrangler

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Nathan I would have to vote on the powdercoat for you Mr half doors to me that the best of both worlds have to guy that does it get as close 99.99% color match.
End result will be a durable coat that shouldn't be too much worry about

Top Bottom