Rubicon Trail Summer Run and Camping Fun

Let's Pick A Date

• Saturday June 9th , 2018

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Saturday August 4, 2018

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Ralph

I've been monitoring this thread hoping to see more talk about @cml612571's post about his CJ-5 with 32s.

This year is my build-up and shake-down year for my CJ-5. Next year when I see the post for the Rubicon run I plan to say "Me too please.", and I'll be on 33s.

I used to rock crawl decades ago in California. Back then 33s were big-ish. We came to the conclusion that a Samurai on 30s, an early CJ-5 on 31s, a late CJ-5 on 32s, and a CJ-7 on 33s were all pretty equal on the runs we did. Short wheelbase and narrow track can give you more options on your line.

I've never been on the Rubicon, although I've seen almost every YouTube video on it. (That's how I found Wayalife) I have to think that a CJ-5 on 32s or 33s with its 84" wheelbase ought to be able to tackle anything a JKU on 35s with its 116" wheelbase can.

So if @cml612571 does the Rubicon on his 32s, I'd love to see a write-up on how it went.

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
I've been monitoring this thread hoping to see more talk about @cml612571's post about his CJ-5 with 32s.

This year is my build-up and shake-down year for my CJ-5. Next year when I see the post for the Rubicon run I plan to say "Me too please.", and I'll be on 33s.

I used to rock crawl decades ago in California. Back then 33s were big-ish. We came to the conclusion that a Samurai on 30s, an early CJ-5 on 31s, a late CJ-5 on 32s, and a CJ-7 on 33s were all pretty equal on the runs we did. Short wheelbase and narrow track can give you more options on your line.

I've never been on the Rubicon, although I've seen almost every YouTube video on it. (That's how I found Wayalife) I have to think that a CJ-5 on 32s or 33s with its 84" wheelbase ought to be able to tackle anything a JKU on 35s with its 116" wheelbase can.

So if @cml612571 does the Rubicon on his 32s, I'd love to see a write-up on how it went.

I've seen a guy wheel an LJ on 33's on the Rubicon...but he's wheeled that trail for several decades...I think a CJ on 32's may be a struggle...

Ralph

Thanks for the reply, but an LJ on 33s is under-tired by my theoretical tire vs wheelbase math. My historical experience extrapolated to longer Jeeps suggests that an LJ should be on 35s and a JKU on 37s.

Visually, my equation holds up IMO, CJ-7, YJ, TJ on 33s, LJ on 35s, and JKU on 37s look their best. CJ-5 actually looks best, and the math works better, on 31s, but TJ flares on the back and flat fenders on the front allows 33s with 2.5” lift YJ springs. 32s is a compromise size.

Going above 33s on my 5 is more work than I plan to ever do, and are not needed for my local trails. If it turns out that 32/33s are too little for a 5 to do the Rubicon without risking too much damage then I think I’d have to get the Rubicon off my bucket list by finding a friend with a more capable rig.

Last edited:

Ralph

@BaddestCross, that’s kinda my thinking too, but if I sign up for an organized run I want to do my best to meet the requirements. That’s why I’m socializing the idea of formally allowing smaller tires on smaller Jeeps.

I hope to be doing some mods this summer. I’ll post them as I go so you all can meet my CJ.

@BaddestCross, that’s kinda my thinking too, but if I sign up for an organized run I want to do my best to meet the requirements. That’s why I’m socializing the idea of formally allowing smaller tires on smaller Jeeps.

I hope to be doing some mods this summer. I’ll post them as I go so you all can meet my CJ.

Tell ya what Ralph, you get your rig prepped and good to go and let me know by may that you got everything completed and ready to go and you run the trail with us, if it's too much for ya we can park your rig on my property and you can run with us or if another member want's to open their passenger seat up for you.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the reply, but an LJ on 33s is under-tired by my theoretical tire vs wheelbase math. My historical experience extrapolated to longer Jeeps suggests that an LJ should be on 35s and a JKU on 37s.

Visually, my equation holds up IMO, CJ-7, YJ, TJ on 33s, LJ on 35s, and JKU on 37s look their best. CJ-5 actually looks best, and the math works better, on 31s, but TJ flares on the back and flat fenders on the front allows 33s with 2.5” lift YJ springs. 32s is a compromise size.

Going above 33s on my 5 is more work than I plan to ever do, and are not needed for my local trails. If it turns out that 32/33s are too little for a 5 to do the Rubicon without risking too much damage then I think I’d have to get the Rubicon off my bucket list by finding a friend with a more capable rig.

Ran it last august with Four Flusher. He has 33s on his LJ and rear locker. He made it through without pulling line once. It was his first time through, although he had run the Tahoe side to Rubicon Springs once before.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ralph

@dpetersen1988, thank you for the offer. There's no way my Jeep will be ready by May. I'm targeting my Rubicon run in 2019. I am pretty keen on the idea of passengering on it this year though. Experiencing it might be enough to say I did it, even if my Jeep didn't. Or it might give me more insight into what modifications I want/need to make before running it in my own rig. I'll PM you if I can free up the days for this run, then you can see if there's a driver willing to take me on. If it works, great. If not, thanks again for the offer,

Ralph

@A.J., I Guess I should use the quote feature. @dpetersen1988 said that if my rig was ready my May then he'd consider letting me run it. It won't be Rubicon ready by May or Aug. This Spring, I am sorting out the suspension and body. In the Fall I plan to do the drivetrain. All the time trying to do as many local runs as I can to build trust in my rig, and my (and its) abilities.

Buster3479

Have the dates been settled upon? What day do you think we'll exit the trail?

I'm trying to decide if we can fit in (and I should book) a Sierra Trek day after exiting the Rubicon before heading to Ouray for the Exodus.

Thank you

Astroman

Have the dates been settled upon? What day do you think we'll exit the trail?

I'm trying to decide if we can fit in (and I should book) a Sierra Trek day after exiting the Rubicon before heading to Ouray for the Exodus.

Thank you

If I understand correctly August 6-8. Two nights camping on the trail (Buck Island and Rubicon Springs). Off the trail on the 8th. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong......

If I understand correctly August 6-8. Two nights camping on the trail (Buck Island and Rubicon Springs). Off the trail on the 8th. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong......

Yes you are correct as we get closer to the run around may i will send out a email to everyone that will have all the information and details about the trip.

Buster3479

Thanks, I just booked the Thursday Sierra Trek Fordyce run! If it works out, we'll exit the Rubicon, get to Fordyce the next day, and have 2 days after Fordyce to get to Ouray for the Exodus! Crossing my fingers!

Brute

Hooked
Thanks, I just booked the Thursday Sierra Trek Fordyce run! If it works out, we'll exit the Rubicon, get to Fordyce the next day, and have 2 days after Fordyce to get to Ouray for the Exodus! Crossing my fingers!

That's ambitious...I wish I had your energy!

update 4/3/2018

*****run is now full if you are on the maybe list let me know by may 1st if you can make it an i will let you go.****

everyone that is joining us on this run i have metioned in previous posts i putting togeather the trip as we speak please be paitient i will be sending an email with all the details to the following people on the list.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
update 4/3/2018

*****run is now full if you are on the maybe list let me know by may 1st if you can make it an i will let you go.****

everyone that is joining us on this run i have metioned in previous posts i putting togeather the trip as we speak please be paitient i will be sending an email will all the details to the following people on the list.

I won't be able to make it, maybe next year

Top Bottom