37's, Axles and upgrades

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Hey Don, being that you're just now getting into all this and have only been wheeling "seriously" for the last 6 months, may I suggest you not let all the 40's hype run you over and just slow things down a bit. Thanks to the JK, 40's are all the rage but really, most of the guys I see running them are posers who end up getting themselves into trouble and in a way that an experienced driver running 35's would never. Also, unless you're willing to spend big money, you better be ready to break a lot of shit with 40's - that is, IF you really play hard with them. Sure, I run 40's but this is what I do for a living and it it weren't, I'd still be running 37's. The later really is the perfect size for a JKU. Of course, I'm new to all this Jeep stuff and this is all just my opinion.

In this series, Rubicat was still running 37's. The LJ was running 39's and Currie was running 39 stickies. On obstacles like Rock Chucker, the final climb out of Metal Masher, the Creek Climb on Cliff Hanger or even the double bumps, I think you'll see we did alright with just 37's.

Thanks Eddie, I think that's really good advice and I definitely value you're opinion.

Getting 40's is a big deal and a bunch of $$$. I'm going to go 37 and down the road see where I'm at. If it makes sense to go bigger then... Okay.

As far as upgrades for 37... What do you think, stay stock until something wears out or breaks or upgrade before that happens?

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Get 37’s and wheel what you have. Just put your pennies away while wheeling 37’s and then make the jump to 60’s when you can. They won’t spontaneously blowup.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

^^^^^This right here. I’m running 37s on 4.88 with C-Gussets on stock Rubicon axles. You’ve seen how I wheel my jeep. Despite all the “when in doubt skinny petal out” jokes I make, I’m not real heavy on the gas and have been able to do everything the guys in 40s have done (so far). The move to 37s isn’t that much and you can start saving up to do 40s the right way. Next time we’re out I’ll let you drive my rig so you can get a feel, or stop on by my place I think your close to Lake Forest right? It’s the best way to make a decision. Besides 37s is more challenging aka fun!

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
If you seriously think you will go to 40s, I’d say skip the PR44 and skip putting money into your stock axles. Just save for 40s and go straight there when you have the $15k to drop. I know several guys who did the PR44 / 37s step and before long sold the set up for a loss and invested in 60s and 40s.

That would be me. Lol didn’t buy a pr44. It the money I spent re-gearing and then building a rubicon front. I would of been halfway to dynatrac 60s

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie, I think that's really good advice and I definitely value you're opinion.

Getting 40's is a big deal and a bunch of $$$. I'm going to go 37 and down the road see where I'm at. If it makes sense to go bigger then... Okay.

As far as upgrades for 37... What do you think, stay stock until something wears out or breaks or upgrade before that happens?

In both of these videos, Rubicat was running factory Dana 44's

Personally, I prefer to run what I have UNTIL a need to upgrade presents itself. Rather than building up your Jeep so that you can wheel like a moron, I would recommend learning how to wheel smarter and gain experience from it.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
^^^^^This right here. I’m running 37s on 4.88 with C-Gussets on stock Rubicon axles. You’ve seen how I wheel my jeep. Despite all the “when in doubt skinny petal out” jokes I make, I’m not real heavy on the gas and have been able to do everything the guys in 40s have done (so far). The move to 37s isn’t that much and you can start saving up to do 40s the right way. Next time we’re out I’ll let you drive my rig so you can get a feel, or stop on by my place I think your close to Lake Forest right? It’s the best way to make a decision. Besides 37s is more challenging aka fun!

Thanks Samuel, that's very generous.
I'm looking forward to Wheeling with you again.
You and your Jeep do really well out on the trail.
I think you are about 2 1/2 hours away, maybe when we get together for Anza Borrego..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That would be me. Lol didn’t buy a pr44. It the money I spent re-gearing and then building a rubicon front. I would of been halfway to dynatrac 60s

Don't feel bad, a lot of us have been down that road before including me. :rolleyes2:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Just one more thing if you stay with the stock axles and 5x5 bolt pattern is to upgrade to dynatrac pro grips. The standard brakes have a hard time stopping 37s in a hurry. I’d do that first before a lot of other upgrades.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Just one more thing if you stay with the stock axles and 5x5 bolt pattern is to upgrade to dynatrac pro grips. The standard brakes have a hard time stopping 37s in a hurry. I’d do that first before a lot of other upgrades.

That is one upgrade I've already done...
It makes a huge difference with all the armor and everything else I've put on.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug

Personally, I prefer to run what I have UNTIL a need to upgrade presents itself. Rather than building up your Jeep so that you can wheel like a moron, I would recommend learning how to wheel smarter and gain experience from it.
Thanks again for the advice

wjtstudios

Hooked
For those with 40s who seriously wheel them (Eddie) are there any of the bucket list trails that you can only run with 40s that 37s couldn’t get thru. I get that 40s open up some more “interesting” lines that 37s May have to bypass, but other that insane trails like Carnage Canyon do you really need them? I’m not criticizing anyone with 40s. I’m sure it makes wheeling easier where 37s would have to take their time a bit more. Just a serious question for guys like me who hope to stay on 37s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those with 40s who seriously wheel them (Eddie) are there any of the bucket list trails that you can only run with 40s that 37s couldn’t get thru. I get that 40s open up some more “interesting” lines that 37s May have to bypass, but other that insane trails like Carnage Canyon do you really need them? I’m not criticizing anyone with 40s. I’m sure it makes wheeling easier where 37s would have to take their time a bit more. Just a serious question for guys like me who hope to stay on 37s.

Talked to a friend who ran Carnage Canyon BV last year and according to him, it's gotten a lot harder and everyone on 40's was having a hell of a time. In my neck of the woods, winch hill 3 on Fordyce can't even be started without 40's. Down in SoCal, most of the serious Hammer Trails are best suited for 40's. Out in Moab, Area BFE has a few obstacles that are 40's territory as well. Outside of that, MOST trails that I've run including the Rubicon DO NOT need 40's. MOST can be done with 35's and a good driver.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I knew you’d have the answer! Thank you, that’s what I had thought, but I don’t have the experience out West to know for sure.

There are other trails in Arizona like out in Florence Junction and New Mexico that are 40's territory but for most people, 37's are a perfect size and one that'll get you up most obstacles.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug

Dude! I thought I had seen all of your videos. How’d I miss this one? Got real close to your roll cage on several occasions. Very cool.

Top Bottom