WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJCO

Meme King
:shock: Yikes, looks like you may have your work cut out for you there. Like you haven't worked hard enough on this issue already! :crazyeyes:

I hope you get this all worked out; unfortunately the most help I can be is to say: Good luck! :thumb:

Thanks. I hope to have it fixed soon. Getting closer, lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hope I get this thing figured out too. Yesterday, I ran into a tech I used to work with and I trust him. We had a long talk and the Jeep was with me for him to look at. He use to work a at a Jeep dealer and knows these systems fairly well. His gut feeling is the radiator but sees the condensor being a possibility too, especially when I told him that it blew refrigerant out when I bypassed the high-pressure switch. He's doing some research now and we may just do an evac and recharge at his shop just for preventative to see where we're at.

He thinks if it's the radiator, it's likely on the end of it's life or just plugged enough to operate cooling system, then on a hot day, the heat from the condensor puts the radiator out of it's capability and all these symptoms occur, the radiator then gets hotter which makes the condensor hotter (next to each other) thus increasing the AC pressures and both systems start acting up. The only thing leading him away from the condensor is that AC cools fine when it's not as hot outside, no issues at all. He also finds the whole thing very strange that when revving up the engine, all issues go away and everything is fine. Driving me nuts! Both parts are not cheap and very labor intensive, that part sucks too.

Here's a pic I found online of basically what needs to be removed to do either (the radiator saves a few steps), along with a winch, grill guard, and lights on mine. :grayno:

If it isn't this, you're kind of running out of things to try. Hopefully it fixes your problem.

WJCO

Meme King
Got the ARB breather kit installed. Very easy.

View attachment 269806

Appears the ARB breather kit is working so far. Did some water crossings last weekend that would have covered the diffs. I checked the fluid in the axles and tcase tonight and they're at the same level as before the run. I'll keep checking after a few runs. Sure would be nice to not have to change fluid after every water run.

Andy5160

Hooked
Appears the ARB breather kit is working so far. Did some water crossings last weekend that would have covered the diffs. I checked the fluid in the axles and tcase tonight and they're at the same level as before the run. I'll keep checking after a few runs. Sure would be nice to not have to change fluid after every water run.

One less thing to worry about. Seems like a good upgrade [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Sad day today. Cut off the tire carrier. I will be rebuilding it, but had to start from scratch. Here's some before and after pics.

BEFORE:

1008171308.jpg

1008171323.jpg

DURING:

1008171346.jpg

Even with welds cut, it was only rocking but wouldn't come out. Had to rely on Warn to finish the job.

1008171351.jpg

1008171351a.jpg

1008171412.jpg

AND AFTER:

1008171437.jpg

1008171431.jpg

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Nice, sounds like a fun project. Funny you have to rely on the pink JK to finish the job lol. Also I noticed that you have a slight lean to the passenger side on your WJ. Is it just weird angle of the pic? I though only JKs had the lean.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Total rebuild? What's the plan?

Just going to raise it up and not going to use the hitch.

Rebuilding is cool but RockHard4x4 is cooler. [emoji6]

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-7050.htm

I've always loved the look of that and almost pulled the trigger but the extra weight is the downside to it. I actually talked to an aluminum welder to build me something similar but the price would be around 2500, I can't see spending that for a bumper and carrier.

Is the tire going back on top temporarily?

Nope. Just sitting in the garage for now.

Nice, sounds like a fun project. Funny you have to rely on the pink JK to finish the job lol. Also I noticed that you have a slight lean to the passenger side on your WJ. Is it just weird angle of the pic? I though only JKs had the lean.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Normal as well, lol.

WJCO

Meme King
What's up with that hole in the bumper?

That's where the hinge will go. I'm going to build something down in there and work off of it for the hinge. My goal is to re-use the old carrier as much as possible without buying new parts. Here's the old carrier all cut up.

IMG_20171008_193203_713.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Started building the new carrier tonight. I basically just got the main swing support measured and cut. The latch on the left won't be there, it's just part of the old carrier. I'll be cutting that off. The plastic on the right is just a bag to protect the open spindle hinge while I'm cutting and grinding.

IMG_20171010_192528_126.jpg

Here's about where it will sit. I got lucky that it nearly covers the hole that I cut out of the bumper.

IMG_20171010_192611_777.jpg

Top Bottom