WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJCO

Meme King
Looks like a good idea. Looking forward to seeing the final product. Good luck!

No doubt this may open up a new market for WJ tire carriers haha
Looking good WJCO can’t wait to see it all finished

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks. Hope it works out as I plan.

Are you planning on using the hitch to actually tow something?

If anything, just landscaping trailer around town. I towed before with it even when the carrier was built on to it. The main point of this whole thing was to move the tire carrier up higher.

WJCO

Meme King
So the new carrier will have a bow to it where the tire sits in it?

The lower support frame will look just like the picture above. The rear bumper curves outward in the middle, so I wanted to match that a little. The actual upright that I'll weld on later will be perfectly straight.

Looking good so far! Can’t wait to see how you build it.

Thanks. Hoping to get on it this week if time permits.

WJCO

Meme King
Can’t wait to see the finished product. Dammit I really want to learn to weld.

No time like the present! The Jeeps and this site made me go out and buy a MIG. Big purchase, but worth every penny.

Yeah, totally go out and get one and learn. It's a great skill to have. I learned from someone that had been welding for years, but I still want to take some classes just so I learn some foundation knowledge about it. I actually hope to do that in the next couple of years. A lot of skills/trades are slowly going away in this culture, I wanted to learn all I can and pass it down to the kiddos.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Started building the new carrier tonight. I basically just got the main swing support measured and cut. The latch on the left won't be there, it's just part of the old carrier. I'll be cutting that off. The plastic on the right is just a bag to protect the open spindle hinge while I'm cutting and grinding.

Here's about where it will sit. I got lucky that it nearly covers the hole that I cut out of the bumper.

No way, this is gonna be awesome! Can't wait to see it done :thumb:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Yeah, totally go out and get one and learn. It's a great skill to have. I learned from someone that had been welding for years, but I still want to take some classes just so I learn some foundation knowledge about it. I actually hope to do that in the next couple of years. A lot of skills/trades are slowly going away in this culture, I wanted to learn all I can and pass it down to the kiddos.

I do intend to learn and most likely buy a MIG welder. I did recently find a year long course (2 nights a week) that is $700. That price didn’t seem unreasonable considering all that I’d get out of it, plus it covered several welding technologies. I was a little late to sign up for that course, but I’d also like to find a more accelerated course that didn’t necessarily take an entire year to complete.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I do intend to learn and most likely buy a MIG welder. I did recently find a year long course (2 nights a week) that is $700. That price didn’t seem unreasonable considering all that I’d get out of it, plus it covered several welding technologies. I was a little late to sign up for that course, but I’d also like to find a more accelerated course that didn’t necessarily take an entire year to complete.

You can find continuing education programs in your area for less or free even. I took a welding course at one. They start you on stick to get your certs but if you befriend the instructor they will show you mig and tig.

fiend

Caught the Bug
You can find continuing education programs in your area for less or free even. I took a welding course at one. They start you on stick to get your certs but if you befriend the instructor they will show you mig and tig.

Some community colleges have welding classes. Glendale (CA) for example. Usually pretty cheap.

Top Bottom