WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Got some rough work done on the carrier. This is roughly how the bottom swing support will sit.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but make sure that you can either adjust the angle of that support arm to account for the weight of the spare, or build a little extra angle into it to account for sag. Looking good though!

WJCO

Meme King
That looks clean already [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice clean fit. Can't wait to see the new carrier when it's done.

Looks good so far

Nice and snug with the bumper, good work so far!

I like where this is going

Thanks. I'm liking it too. Way cleaner than the last one and save some weight.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but make sure that you can either adjust the angle of that support arm to account for the weight of the spare, or build a little extra angle into it to account for sag. Looking good though!

Yep, for sure. When I built it the first time, I noticed that. I actually ended up building a shelf under the non-hinged end so it would sit on that while closed. I even had to tighten the bearings twice within the first year from sag and vibration. And that's only with a 33 inch tire.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Oh yes, this could look SUPER clean! I like what Im seeing so far! and props to you for sure for building it yourself, exactly how you want it! :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
Oh yes, this could look SUPER clean! I like what Im seeing so far! and props to you for sure for building it yourself, exactly how you want it! :thumb:

That tire carrier is going to come out sweet!!! Looking forward to the final product :thumb:

That looks slick! Might have to steal some of the design haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks great man!

Alright Alright Alright

Thanks. It's going to be tricky getting the main support built under the bumper. I worked on it a little tonight but my plasma kept fucking up. Basically the bracket inside the bumper will require a ton of angles so I built a cardboard template and then cut the bracket. Machine kept acting up, so a 5 minute project took about 2 hours. I'm going to clean up the bracket and fit it later.

IMG_20171012_192527_410.jpg

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Thanks. It's going to be tricky getting the main support built under the bumper. I worked on it a little tonight but my plasma kept fucking up. Basically the bracket inside the bumper will require a ton of angles so I built a cardboard template and then cut the bracket. Machine kept acting up, so a 5 minute project took about 2 hours. I'm going to clean up the bracket and fit it later.

I wish I had a plasma cutter to complain about... [emoji6]

WJCO

Meme King
I wish I had a plasma cutter to complain about... [emoji6]

LOL, first world problems, right? ;)

Lol. Indeed.

How hard would it be to pull the plastic bumper cover? You'll have to in order to weld your brackets, right?

I will have to remove it during the process. I have to get the swing arm lined up with the bumper still installed, and then tack the brackets in place. I should be able to do that with the bumper on. Then if I'm satisfied with it, the bumper will come off to finish the welding and to build some more support under the bracket. It doesn't look like the bumper will be that hard to remove.

WJCO

Meme King
Might have missed it but what is your plan for a latch

Don't know yet. There's a ton of nice looking ones out there, but they aren't cheap. On my old one, I used something like the picture below. Which worked, but not sure if I'll do something like that again. I may just do a clevis pin or something. I'm going to fabricate a bracket under that end once the bumper is off though.

R2125-full.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
I know you already have this started but is there any way you could incorporate JJ ends on the arm? be nice and stout - wouldn't have to worry about adjusting those.

WJCO

Meme King
I know you already have this started but is there any way you could incorporate JJ ends on the arm? be nice and stout - wouldn't have to worry about adjusting those.

I could, but I really wanted to re-use what I have to save money and time. Other than the license plate bracket, I haven't spent any money on it so far.

Slimebones

First build thread I have actually read! Strange but true. Awesome read. I highly encourage anyone in this area to join us on a run to see what this rig of Doug's can actually do. Truly amazing. His wife, Corey, is on board as well with her JK. Good job Guys.

Brute

Hooked

View attachment 279531

Which template are you pointing to?

WJCO

Meme King
First build thread I have actually read! Strange but true. Awesome read. I highly encourage anyone in this area to join us on a run to see what this rig of Doug's can actually do. Truly amazing. His wife, Corey, is on board as well with her JK. Good job Guys.

Thanks for the kind words. It's been a fun build but I never anticipated it going to this point. No regrets though.

Which template are you pointing to?

The steel one, lol. It should have taken about the same time to cut out as the cardboard one but took waaayyyy longer.

Top Bottom