10Th Anniversary Power Dome Hood

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Results are in on the quick and dirty 10a vent mod.

And if anyone else besides 2nd gunman believed heat didn't rise. Sorry it still rises. And this modification absolutely helps let heat escape.
].

Nice work! What was the coolant temp after? I take it you went for a drive then stopped and checked temps? Was there a difference while driving?

Nice work! What was the coolant temp after? I take it you went for a drive then stopped and checked temps? Was there a difference while driving?

I did drive it before and after to get it up to temp. During the test drive after I noticed a big difference in coolant temperatures however the marine layer rolled in and the outside temp dropped about 15*. Im going to check again tomorrow when it's 70* outside (just to keep the variables the same) . Climbing hills my jeep routinely ran warm (in the 230+ range). On the test drive it never went above 210 even on a hill I know my jeep would have ran warmer.

Parked there wasn't much of a difference in coolant temp which was expected.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

And if anyone else besides 2nd gunman believed heat didn't rise. Sorry it still rises. And this modification absolutely helps let heat escape.

Before coolant temp via EVIC
View attachment 217792 .

Before temp at hood vent.
View attachment 217793 .

After temp at hood vent. Note the max temp reading at 122*
View attachment 217794 .

Before.
View attachment 217795 .

After.
View attachment 217797 .

During.
View attachment 217798 .

Now you have to change your avatar to Bill Nye the Science Guy. Good test!

JAGS

Hooked

Before coolant temp via EVIC
View attachment 217792 .

Before temp at hood vent.
View attachment 217793 .

After temp at hood vent. Note the max temp reading at 122*
View attachment 217794 .

Before.
View attachment 217795 .

After.
View attachment 217797 .

During.
View attachment 217798 .

Sweet! Good work on this.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I did drive it before and after to get it up to temp. During the test drive after I noticed a big difference in coolant temperatures however the marine layer rolled in and the outside temp dropped about 15*. Im going to check again tomorrow when it's 70* outside (just to keep the variables the same) . Climbing hills my jeep routinely ran warm (in the 230+ range). On the test drive it never went above 210 even on a hill I know my jeep would have ran warmer.

Well there you go. I was wrong.

I'll be interested to see how you go tomorrow but it sure sounds like cutting the vents and removing the engine cover did the job. [emoji106]

Well there you go. I was wrong.

I'll be interested to see how you go tomorrow but it sure sounds like cutting the vents and removing the engine cover did the job. [emoji106]

Wow science and mature people on the Internet....wait I am on the Internet right?

Sorry couldn't help but heckle at the impossibility that this turned into. Agreement

Ddays

Hooked
Climbing hills my jeep routinely ran warm (in the 230+ range). On the test drive it never went above 210 even on a hill I know my jeep would have ran warmer.

This is exactly what I originally hoped for when I was looking at this hood. I don't run my inner liners or the engine shroud so I didn't think the vents would make that much of a difference on my rig much at low speeds. Climbing hills however, my temp always climbs. Knowing this I cant wait to get mine back from paint to see how it affects my temps.

:beer:

Coop

Caught the Bug
This is exactly what I originally hoped for when I was looking at this hood. I don't run my inner liners or the engine shroud so I didn't think the vents would make that much of a difference on my rig much at low speeds. Climbing hills however, my temp always climbs. Knowing this I cant wait to get mine back from paint to see how it affects my temps.

:beer:

Me too! Great investigation all!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
WOW! I would not have imagined anything close to 8° difference. That is awesome! :thumb: I may have to take a dremel to mine!

well-done-sir-0kfcw6.jpg

303jkpatriot

Awesome work on the test! I was really curious if that would help with temps. Thanks for going through that work. Now I need that hood

Great test. I knew the theory was sound, but its always great to have verifiable proof. I think I'll have to modify mine now. No hills her but it is brutally hot.

zimm

Caught the Bug
No doubt the vent mod lets more heat out of the hood. What I want to know is if it makes any difference in the engine temperature. With a closed hood, the cooling fan is pulling hot air and dumping out the bottom of the engine compartment. Letting heat get out is great, but I wonder if it makes a lick of difference in the engine coolant temp.

Ddays

Hooked

No doubt the vent mod lets more heat out of the hood. What I want to know is if it makes any difference in the engine temperature. With a closed hood, the cooling fan is pulling hot air and dumping out the bottom of the engine compartment. Letting heat get out is great, but I wonder if it makes a lick of difference in the engine coolant temp.

Yes - absolutely it did. See HighwayTrouts post above yours....

edit: And if you remove your fender liners and engine cover the air is going to exit there as well.

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Nice work, may have to try this on my 10a hood now...I've had some overheating alarms go off in the mountains before but then turn off, and its all the auto tranny's fault.

Ddays

Hooked
Update on my hood install:
Dropped the Jeep off last Wednesday at my local body shop. The owner called me up the following day and asked "Where did you buy this hood and can you take it back?" I told him this is made at the same factory as the Mopar hood and he said bullshit. I'm no body work expert but I thought the hood looked pretty straight everywhere. When they hit the hood with the DA they found a shitload of high and low spots along both sides and also along the back edge of the hood. (He's emailing me photos - I'll add them when he sends them to me). He said if it was him he'd send it back and get another. Happens to them from time to time and pick from the best one. So I figured OK, I'll call the 4WD where I bought it & ask. Salesman claimed "I've sold 500 of these hoods and no one has ever called back and said there was anything wrong with these hoods." They didn't have any in stock here but could ship one in from Texas and I'd have in a week or so. Called the body shop and he said he'd just fix this one but would need another day and a couple bills extra for all the dolly work since I didn't want any filler. So below is the finished product. Both he and I are very happy with the results.

Would I buy this hood again? Yes, but figure at least 2 extra hours of prep time at a body shop. I can't tell where they did any of the work so I'm OK. There is still too much of a difference between this and the Mopar hood even with some extra work.

0829161936.jpg

0829161936a.jpg

0829161936b.jpg

0829161936c.jpg

0829161937a.jpg

0829161937b.jpg

0829161937c.jpg

0829161938.jpg

0829161938a.jpg

0829161938b.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
That hood is so cool looking. I'd take one, but have other things higher up on the to do list at the moment.

Ddays

Hooked
That hood is so cool looking. I'd take one, but have other things higher up on the to do list at the moment.

Thanks Jags, and they are a great looking hood. I hear ya on the list. I debated but figured get it now & drink less beer this Winter to help pay for it. ;)

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thanks Jags, and they are a great looking hood. I hear ya on the list. I debated but figured get it now & drink less beer this Winter to help pay for it. ;)

Drink less beer? Drop your phone and get to your nearest psych ward. Tell them you have a problem.

Top Bottom