10Th Anniversary Power Dome Hood

Ddays

Hooked
Like others showed above, these inserts serve absolutely no purpose as supplied by the factory.

v1.jpg

I also cut the bottoms out so at least these will function somewhat. It's sure not the same as the PS or EVO vents but if the damn things are gonna be there at least they can contirbute a little....

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Like others showed above, these inserts serve absolutely no purpose as supplied by the factory.

View attachment 217255

I also cut the bottoms out so at least these will function somewhat. It's sure not the same as the PS or EVO vents but if the damn things are gonna be there at least they can contirbute a little....

View attachment 217256

View attachment 217257

Was it worth it? Did it do anything at all?

Its the grade 8 mod of cooling. Not gonna hurt anything but completely pointless

Ddays

Hooked
Was it worth it? Did it do anything at all?

Its the grade 8 mod of cooling. Not gonna hurt anything but completely pointless

I don't know if it'll help at all. I just know that before cutting the bottoms out it wouldn't do shit. Now? At least I can say they are vents instead of decorations:idontknow:
And I'm only out 20 minutes of time.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I don't know if it'll help at all. I just know that before cutting the bottoms out it wouldn't do shit. Now? At least I can say they are vents instead of decorations:idontknow:
And I'm only out 20 minutes of time.
Nice! I will be doing the same when mine comes back from paint!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Completely pointless? Not exactly.

That's my opinion. Prove me wrong.

Aerodynamics is often counterintuitive. I'd put money on removing the fender liners having a much bigger effect on cooling than opening up a vent that isn't in the flow path.

Ddays

Hooked
I agree that losing the inner liners would help more but wouldn't one think air would be drawn out of those vents at speed? A lot? Not really but a little. Enough to matter? IDK. At low speed or stopped probably wouldn't make a diff.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

Aerodynamics is often counterintuitive. I'd put money on removing the fender liners having a much bigger effect on cooling than opening up a vent that isn't in the flow path.

Wait a minute, so now it's just "fender liners have a bigger effect than the 10a vents" or the "10a vents are worthless"?

And can you remind me again which way heat flows?

Journeyman

I would think at hwy speed nothing would change. Offroad at low speeds when your working hard to clear a tough obstacles is were it should release some heat. Probably not noticeable on your gauge, but I'm sure heat will be rising out.

Exodus 4x4

I would think hot air is drawn from the engine compartment and through the hood vents as the faster air flowing over the hood pulls it out.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Hey you guys want to prove me wrong go ahead but I want to see some real data. If you're right I'll cut mine too.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Wait a minute, so now it's just "fender liners have a bigger effect than the 10a vents" or the "10a vents are worthless"?

And can you remind me again which way heat flows?

Both and pretty sure that's what i said back in post #53.

You tell me which way does hot air go out of a hair dryer?

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Both and pretty sure that's what i said back in post #53.

Since this is a discussion about a hood vent not fender liners I don't see how that is relevant. It sounds like you have not cut open the vents on your hoods so everything you are spewing is opinion. Take it from some one with heat issues that has cut open the 10a vents, it does make significant difference. Clearly you think you are smarter than the rest of us, so please continue to explain how heat does not rise.

You tell me which way does hot air go out of a hair dryer?

Uh, the one way a hair dryer blows? Wtf kind of statement/question is that? If you don't want to cut open some plastic vents, then don't. But don't go blabbering on telling everyone how smart you are about flow dynamics.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Since this is a discussion about a hood vent not fender liners I don't see how that is relevant. It sounds like you have not cut open the vents on your hoods so everything you are spewing is opinion. Take it from some one with heat issues that has cut open the 10a vents, it does make significant difference. Clearly you think you are smarter than the rest of us, so please continue to explain how heat does not rise.

Uh, the one way a hair dryer blows? Wtf kind of statement/question is that? If you don't want to cut open some plastic vents, then don't. But don't go blabbering on telling everyone how smart you are about flow dynamics.

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Pretty sure I said it was just my opinion and I'm happy for you too prove me wrong with real data.

The point of the hairdryer is we were talking about hot air being pushed by a fan not radiant heat.

Ddays

Hooked
I would think hot air is drawn from the engine compartment and through the hood vents as the faster air flowing over the hood pulls it out.

I am in no way an aerodynamics expert, but ^this is what I envision happening. At low speeds I would expect some heat to make its way through the vents if they're cut open. Again, nowhere as much as the PS or EVO vents but SOME air will make it out.

He is trying to say the ram air make it work like a hair dryer, failing to realize that the stream from the hair drier isn't straight but curve up because heat rises. it may not be a large curve but its there, At low speeds I would imagine these vents are very effective. We us cowl flaps on aircraft that are of similar design and they work extremely well. AT high speed with no liners would more hot air be forced out through those larger holes? Yes. What if you leave the liners in? Do to Bernoulli's principle the smaller opening may result in greater velocities and increase the heat sink abilities.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
He is trying to say the ram air make it work like a hair dryer, failing to realize that the stream from the hair drier isn't straight but curve up because heat rises. it may not be a large curve but its there, At low speeds I would imagine these vents are very effective. We us cowl flaps on aircraft that are of similar design and they work extremely well. AT high speed with no liners would more hot air be forced out through those larger holes? Yes. What if you leave the liners in? Do to Bernoulli's principle the smaller opening may result in greater velocities and increase the heat sink abilities.

So basically same thing as saying an apple is an orange.

Top Bottom