10Th Anniversary Power Dome Hood

Ddays

Hooked
So a Smittybilt hood with some potential minor fitment issues and painted is roughly the same price as the Mopar hood unpainted. If the price was closer maybe I'd go with the Mopar hood but $500 is too much of a difference. I have a 4WD close by and I'm going to go and see if they have one of these in stock that I can look at tomorrow.

Coop

Caught the Bug
So a Smittybilt hood with some potential minor fitment issues and painted is roughly the same price as the Mopar hood unpainted. If the price was closer maybe I'd go with the Mopar hood but $500 is too much of a difference. I have a 4WD close by and I'm going to go and see if they have one of these in stock that I can look at tomorrow.
Let us know what you think. After my review I'm going for the Smittybilt.

Ddays

Hooked
So I drove out to 4WD today to see if they had one of these hoods in stock. I purposely drove the Jeep so I wouldn't be tempted to buy it today if I liked it. They did and brought it out into the showroom where we took it out of the box. I gotta say, its pretty damn sweet. The E-coating is nice & even, I couldn't see anything that would indicate it wasn't straight and all of the corners were good. Its packaged well. I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with it.

Yes, I bought it. Now have to go back on Monday & get it & arrange to get it painted. :crazyeyes:

Ddays

Hooked
Any pictures of the the underside? What do the vents look like? Just as worthless as the factory I'm assuming?

No, like an idiot I didn't get any damn photos.. If you check out Smittybilts site they do show the underside. It looks exactly like a factory hood though, which it should I guess, since they are made at the same factory. The plastic vents look like they'll work ok, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference in underhood temps.

Edit - when I get it home Monday I'll post up a bunch of photos from all angles.

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
No, I didn't get any damn photos.. If you check out Smittybilts site they do show the underside. It looks exactly like a factory hood though, which it should I guess, since they are made at the same factory. The plastic vents look like they'll work ok, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference in underhood temps.

Edit - when I get it home Monday I'll post up a bunch of photos from all angles.

Good to hear that you like the new upgrade.May that hood bring you nothing but joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coop

Caught the Bug
No, I didn't get any damn photos.. If you check out Smittybilts site they do show the underside. It looks exactly like a factory hood though, which it should I guess, since they are made at the same factory. The plastic vents look like they'll work ok, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference in underhood temps.

Congrats on the hood! I ordered one too!
We are weak SOBs! Lol!

Ddays

Hooked
I picked up my hood tonight and took some photos. Sorry for the shitty quality. These LED shop lights are great but make for terrible photos.
IDK, I couldn't find anything wrong or bad about this hood. Edges straight & finished. We'll see what the shop says when I take it for paint...

0809161856.jpg

0809161857.jpg

0809161857a.jpg

0809161858.jpg

0809161858a.jpg

0809161858b.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
nice :thumb: I've been debating between this and the mopar 10A.

I see on 4wd they've got the 10A priced pretty steep..yikes!

when are you getting it painted?

Ddays

Hooked
I haven't seen the underside of an original 10a hood or a Mopar hood in person but I can't see that it'd be worth the premium over this one.
Paint more than likely the week of the 22nd. I'll post up photos as soon as its done.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Looks pretty much like my 10a hood from what I remember before I put it together. I paid 600 plus about 200 shipping. Plus the heat blanket about 70 and the shorter bumpers about 5. I paid 200 for paint ata smaller shop in Albuquerque including applying the rubi stickers. I installed myself in their parking lot. That i when we discovered it was flared out on one rear corner. They helped me tweak it and it fits good now.

I love that hood. Now if i only had the red seats.

Other mods would have been more functional though. I may have gone with the evo hood vent. I didnt like any of the others and evo wasnt out yet.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Any fitment issues should be minor. Mopar/jeep need to install them at the factory with zero tweaking so their tolerances are going to be very small. I think the smittybilt version is the better buy.

As for the 'vents' they are purely cosmetic and they only reason they have holes in them is to let the water out when it rains

Krystianjk

Any fitment issues should be minor. Mopar/jeep need to install them at the factory with zero tweaking so their tolerances are going to be very small. I think the smittybilt version is the better buy.

As for the 'vents' they are purely cosmetic and they only reason they have holes in them is to let the water out when it rains

And there is a "mod" where you cut out the whole plastic from under the vents so the hood can actually be vented

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Looks good Jerry! Can't wait to see it all painted up! I will get this hood one day as I LOVE the look of it

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
And there is a "mod" where you cut out the whole plastic from under the vents so the hood can actually be vented

Yeah I'd like to see some data that proves it does anything other than let more water in. Your kidding yourself if you think this hood has any performance benefit

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Agreed on the vent performance.

I have thought about modifying them. Instead of just cutting them open, my thought was to make a different bottom pan that had more of a scoop towards the front.

The big complaint that gets posted about is water getting in. But the engine is water resistant/proof and so is the electical stuff. Look at how many jeeps have louvers of other types, evo, posion spider, etc. I have never seen any compaints posted on any of those for water getting in.

I got my hood for looks and no other reason.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Looks like you can get the hood for $525 for both aftermaket and mopar versions. INCLUDING shipping with the vents and liner according to fast search.

A whole lot cheaper than when I bought mine in 2013.

Ddays

Hooked
First, lets be honest, this is for looks. I can see where it would help some air escape from under the hood while you're at speed but really don't expect much of a vent effect at low speeds. Maybe some help but like you said, it'd be negligible.

Second, I was in Moab in July and it was 98, 99, 105, & 94 degrees the days I was there. At no point did I have any issues with overheating or see the needle get anywhere past the 3/4 mark on my gauge, and that was a really brief time. Does anyone really have overheating
issues with the JK's?

Top Bottom