10Th Anniversary Power Dome Hood

Ddays

Hooked
Agreed on the vent performance.

I have thought about modifying them. Instead of just cutting them open, my thought was to make a different bottom pan that had more of a scoop towards the front.

The big complaint that gets posted about is water getting in. But the engine is water resistant/proof and so is the electical stuff. Look at how many jeeps have louvers of other types, evo, posion spider, etc. I have never seen any compaints posted on any of those for water getting in.

I got my hood for looks and no other reason.

^^ Bingo!

And I think running without inner fenders would help with venting more underhood air especially at low speeds or crawling.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
^^ Bingo!

And I think running without inner fenders would help with venting more underhood air especially at low speeds or crawling.

Well heat rises so any holes in the hood will help it escape at any speed better than the stock hood.

Wouldn't the point of a vented hood on a jeep to let heat out at low speed? Any ventilation of any kind where the heat build up would be helpful. Is it going to really make a major difference with the v6s that we run, probably not, but anything is helpful.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Wouldn't the point of a vented hood on a jeep to let heat out at low speed? Any ventilation of any kind where the heat build up would be helpful. Is it going to really make a major difference with the v6s that we run, probably not, but anything is helpful.

This hood is probably as useful as this....

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470838734.324971.jpg

...However, it looks awesome, and I'd love to have one.

Ddays

Hooked
Well heat rises so any holes in the hood will help it escape at any speed better than the stock hood.

Both true but again, is anyone running the 3.6 having ANY overheating issues? The openings will let some hot air escape but I wouldn't try to sell this as a heat reduction hood. If I was looking for that I'd go with the PS or EVO vents...

Krystianjk

Yeah I'd like to see some data that proves it does anything other than let more water in. Your kidding yourself if you think this hood has any performance benefit

There is proof that it actually brings the engine temperature down some dude did some testing of the hood before and after cutting the plastic from below on The Wrangler Forum

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Both true but again, is anyone running the 3.6 having ANY overheating issues? The openings will let some hot air escape but I wouldn't try to sell this as a heat reduction hood. If I was looking for that I'd go with the PS or EVO vents...

True it's not going to be as good as a PS hood or the Evo but something is better than nothing.

As far as overheating goes I haven't heard of anything in our area but out west I have seen some people have issues

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I am curious why people are so concerned about overheating. It just does not happen where I live, with me living in the desert, running around with the windows closed and the A/C at full blast.

What I would like to know is how does a vented hood affect the INTERIOR of the vehicle. I noticed that on climbs in the forests and desert hills, in 4Lo, I would have to keep the vents off and the windows open to keep the cabin cool, or just run A/C. But at those speeds, I gotta imagine there is an overheating concern there.

So does a vented hood keep the interior cooler by letting the hot air out of the top of the hood as opposed to the back of the hood, where the cowl top vent is located that brings air into the interior?

Desertman

I live in the desert and we do get high temperatures under the hood. The big issue is getting enough cold air in the intake for the engine. One of our crew added a small piece of rubber tube to space open the front of the hood. This lowered the intake temperature and helped performance of the engine.

jeeeep

Hooked
I like the hood and since mine is pitted from hail damage I'm leaning towards it and also curious about the heat reduction.

I have a trans cooler and PSC hydro steer cooler in front of my radiator and I've noticed my gauge rising when climbing - this begin after adding the transmission cooler. the dual setup is nice but blocks too much air flow.

Ddays

Hooked
I've noticed my gauge rising when climbing -

^ This is the only time I've noticed my engine temp climb - When downshifting on long climbing roads. But my temp has never risen above the 3/4 mark on the gauge and it always goes right back down when it either up-shifts or I start down the other side.

jeeeep

Hooked
^ This is the only time I've noticed my engine temp climb - When downshifting on long climbing roads. But my temp has never risen above the 3/4 mark on the gauge and it always goes right back down when it either up-shifts or I start down the other side.

yeah, it hasn't been an issue until the additional cooler, I may swap out the thermostat but only because I've got 138k miles.

I may try to put more space between the coolers and radiator as well. it's tight but I think if I get a little more space it may help...

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
There is proof that it actually brings the engine temperature down some dude did some testing of the hood before and after cutting the plastic from below on The Wrangler Forum

Like I said real data not some dude did something somewhere to prove himself right.

For it to do anything at low speeds you would also need to remove the engine cover to provide a flow path from the radiator but removing the fender liners would be much more effective. High speed the dam in front of the vents might create a low pressure over the vents but i doubt it would have enough separation from the windscreen to do anything.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I am curious why people are so concerned about overheating. It just does not happen where I live, with me living in the desert, running around with the windows closed and the A/C at full blast.

What I would like to know is how does a vented hood affect the INTERIOR of the vehicle. I noticed that on climbs in the forests and desert hills, in 4Lo, I would have to keep the vents off and the windows open to keep the cabin cool, or just run A/C. But at those speeds, I gotta imagine there is an overheating concern there.

So does a vented hood keep the interior cooler by letting the hot air out of the top of the hood as opposed to the back of the hood, where the cowl top vent is located that brings air into the interior?

Hot air doesn't come out the back of the hood because there is a high pressure area there and a seal. It mostly gets pushed back and under the floor by the radiator fan but at low speed you get leakage and it comes out wherever it can.

I forgot to post pictures. This is a factory 10A. Basically the same and just as useless for heat reduction as the aftermarket.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470943085.836324.jpg .

But it looks cool. lol

At high speed the entire top of a vehicle is a low pressure area. The body creates a very poor airfoil so the air has to move faster over the top. Doesn't mean this hood does anything other than look great though.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Some folks have cut the bottoms out of the plastic vents to get more air flow. No proof of any heat reduction though.

Top Bottom