12' Gecko Build

desertrunner

Well a little bitter sweet deal with the jeep right now, dispite some shitty wx I was able to get my jeep to dark horse customs in Bozeman to do the rear gears and locker. I was slightly worried about them getting it done in 1 day just because I needed everything to go right and for me to make it back through the crappy weather to work the next day. Well turns out right at closing time they had everything installed and last thing to do was test the air and sure as shit the copper line where it's welded to the collar in the locker had a hole in it...

Ended up having to rent a car and drive 5 hours home in a Honda CRV EW.... but the shop and dynatrac figured out how to get a new part or locker from ARB (not sure what they figured out but they assured me it would get taken care of at no cost to me) and I'll be able to make a trip down sometime after the new years to pick the jeep up with the new locker and gears all done and good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Well a little bitter sweet deal with the jeep right now, dispite some shitty wx I was able to get my jeep to dark horse customs in Bozeman to do the rear gears and locker. I was slightly worried about them getting it done in 1 day just because I needed everything to go right and for me to make it back through the crappy weather to work the next day. Well turns out right at closing time they had everything installed and last thing to do was test the air and sure as shit the copper line where it's welded to the collar in the locker had a hole in it...

Ended up having to rent a car and drive 5 hours home in a Honda CRV EW.... but the shop and dynatrac figured out how to get a new part or locker from ARB (not sure what they figured out but they assured me it would get taken care of at no cost to me) and I'll be able to make a trip down sometime after the new years to pick the jeep up with the new locker and gears all done and good to go.

At least they found it before sending you home, not that the situation doesn’t suck

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I always wondered if this happened from time to time. I wonder if you could just sweat some solder in there. Either way, glad you're getting it fixed right.

I had a similar issue this year, something inside the locker was leaking. ARB worked with the shop and took care of it right away. They even covered labor to have the tech take it apart again, which they didn't have to pay for according to their warranty.

desertrunner

At least they found it before sending you home, not that the situation doesn’t suck

Yeah I am really trying to do most of the work myself. I like wrenching on the jeep but when it comes to gears I didn't want to mess with it but when they heard they weren't going to be running the air lines and doing the compressor instal they were kinda surprised. So I'm really glad they had some sort of air source to test it out and didn't just send me on down the road without ever knowing if it was good to go.
I always wondered if this happened from time to time. I wonder if you could just sweat some solder in there. Either way, glad you're getting it fixed right.

I had a similar issue this year, something inside the locker was leaking. ARB worked with the shop and took care of it right away. They even covered labor to have the tech take it apart again, which they didn't have to pay for according to their warranty.
Yeah it was a bummer, I was super looking forward to having it done before Christmas but oh well. And yeah that was my thought exactly like hey it's just solder throw some more on there until it holds air and boom good to go, but the shop was hesitant to touch it just because they didn't want to be liable if something went bad later down the road, which is totally understandable. I'm not sure who is actually going to be supplying the new parts but since the parts came from dynatrac I called them up and they got the number for the shop and told me not to worry. So another thumbs up for dynatrac customer service.

This is the little bugger that held up the instal 20171221_175042.jpg

Zero_the_JKU

Looks great! If I didn't already have some money in my white JKU I would trade it in for a gecko. They're by far my favorite color ever made.

desertrunner

Looks great! If I didn't already have some money in my white JKU I would trade it in for a gecko. They're by far my favorite color ever made.
The latest green JK hyper green I think is too pale the new JL green looks pretty sweet but for sure I love my gecko and with the money I have dropped into it, it's not going anywhere for a while. Especially when I priced out a new JL and it came out to 14k more than I paid for my brand new Tacoma yeah F that. Hopefully with the release of the JL JK parts will start to drop in price

Clutch

Caught the Bug
The latest green JK hyper green I think is too pale the new JL green looks pretty sweet but for sure I love my gecko and with the money I have dropped into it, it's not going anywhere for a while. Especially when I priced out a new JL and it came out to 14k more than I paid for my brand new Tacoma yeah F that. Hopefully with the release of the JL JK parts will start to drop in price

Honestly, I’d be more likely to get an older jeep (YJ or TJ) than a newer jeep (JL). But that is just me.

desertrunner

Honestly, I’d be more likely to get an older jeep (YJ or TJ) than a newer jeep (JL). But that is just me.

Not gonna lie after having the 08 4dr and now my 12 2dr the 2dr JK feels tiny and I have the back seats removed with no intention of putting them back in, tossing in our dog and a little bit or trail or camping gear not to mention we don't have kids yet it's pretty packed, I have really become accustomed to the extra space the JK has over the TJ, maybe an LJ down the road as a project would be fun but the 4dr was really nice and without kids we can get by with the 2dr JK.

That being said I have only owned JKs and I tend to stick with what I know, the JL looks like an awesome revamped JK but I wont have the cash for that anytime soon and I would love to in 10 years have my 2 Dr stretched on 37s minimum it will keep me plenty busy haha

BaddestCross

Your build is coming together nicely! Subscribed because us 2-door guys need to stick together. 😎

My JK is my first Jeep after wanting one since I was a kid. My wife and I drove both the 2 and 4 doors before ultimately choosing the 2 door because of the "true Jeep" feel. Of course, both our kids are grown and with the seats pulled, there's plenty of room for us and the dogs. Went with a roof rack for those rare times we need the extra space.

If I was to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing. The JL is nice, but way too expensive to take it out and beat the hell out of. 😂

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

desertrunner

Your build is coming together nicely! Subscribed because us 2-door guys need to stick together. 😎

My JK is my first Jeep after wanting one since I was a kid. My wife and I drove both the 2 and 4 doors before ultimately choosing the 2 door because of the "true Jeep" feel. Of course, both our kids are grown and with the seats pulled, there's plenty of room for us and the dogs. Went with a roof rack for those rare times we need the extra space.

If I was to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing. The JL is nice, but way too expensive to take it out and beat the hell out of. 😂

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
Thanks man I am super stoked to get it back from the shops with the rear gears and locker all installed. I'm ready to get a whole new perspective on the trail since all I knew was a 4dr on 37s haha but with 4.88s lockers and 33s I'm willing to bet I can get this thing into some awesome places.

To me the 4dr and 2dr both have unique looks and features and I think that's why I wanted to get a 2dr this round. I love both of them for different reasons and now that it's not my DD the 2dr was the way to go for me this time. Hopefully in the next few years I'll get to really test it out like I did my 4dr and have a good side by side comparison for a later decision if (when) I get another jeep.

Hell what I would love is to have a 4dr JL as a DD and my 2dr JK for the trails but I think my wife would kill me if I mentioned yet another car purchase haha.

BaddestCross

Thanks man I am super stoked to get it back from the shops with the rear gears and locker all installed. I'm ready to get a whole new perspective on the trail since all I knew was a 4dr on 37s haha but with 4.88s lockers and 33s I'm willing to bet I can get this thing into some awesome places.

To me the 4dr and 2dr both have unique looks and features and I think that's why I wanted to get a 2dr this round. I love both of them for different reasons and now that it's not my DD the 2dr was the way to go for me this time. Hopefully in the next few years I'll get to really test it out like I did my 4dr and have a good side by side comparison for a later decision if (when) I get another jeep.

Hell what I would love is to have a 4dr JL as a DD and my 2dr JK for the trails but I think my wife would kill me if I mentioned yet another car purchase haha.

I've never driven a 4 door on the trails, but I've been driving behind plenty of them. 😂 There is definitely an advantage with the longer wheel base on some obstacles, but my little baby Jeep on 35s has been keeping up with them just fine. You'll have to get used to picking different lines for sure but the 2 door is really an amazing little billy goat!

I just got regeared to 5.13 and I'm really looking forward to trying it out on the rocks! 👍

--

desertrunner

I've never driven a 4 door on the trails, but I've been driving behind plenty of them. 😂 There is definitely an advantage with the longer wheel base on some obstacles, but my little baby Jeep on 35s has been keeping up with them just fine. You'll have to get used to picking different lines for sure but the 2 door is really an amazing little billy goat!

I just got regeared to 5.13 and I'm really looking forward to trying it out on the rocks! 👍

--
Yeah I had a buddy with a 2dr on 33s that I used to run with in Colorado and he did every trail I did with my 4dr on 37s, had to take different lines and a bypass or 2 from time to time but overall he was out there every time I was so I think it will be a very capable and fun jeep to wheel and now I have a bit of peace of mind with the dynatrac trail leader package under it and can get on the skinny pedal some more. Every ledge in Moab I was so timid with the stock axles and 37s just waiting for something to let go haha.

BaddestCross

Yeah I had a buddy with a 2dr on 33s that I used to run with in Colorado and he did every trail I did with my 4dr on 37s, had to take different lines and a bypass or 2 from time to time but overall he was out there every time I was so I think it will be a very capable and fun jeep to wheel and now I have a bit of peace of mind with the dynatrac trail leader package under it and can get on the skinny pedal some more. Every ledge in Moab I was so timid with the stock axles and 37s just waiting for something to let go haha.

You're gonna have a blast! It's really nice not to have to make 3-point turns on switchbacks. 😂

--

desertrunner

So finally got the call yesterday from dark horse customs that my jeep is all done and the locker and gears are hooked up good to go. Going to make the trip down to Bozeman to pick it up on Monday. Can't wait to drive it with the 4.88s!!!

Also side note I finally settled on a name for it "Hatch" like the green chili and it's fitting since I bought it while I was stationed in Albuquerque NM

desertrunner

Just picked up the jeep and dear god what a night and day difference on 4.88s haha seems so funny to be on the freeway at 55mph in 6th gear.

Got a long drive ahead of me breaking in the gears a bit on the 180 mile trip home.

I do have a bit of vibration in the 55-60mph range that I'm willing to bet is the front drive shaft since this is the first time im driving with it installed so once I get it home I'm going to have to measure again the drive shaft angle and caster and see if I need to get some adjustable control arms. But I won't be driving faster than 60 for most the drive home anyways haha

JKbrick

Just picked up the jeep and dear god what a night and day difference on 4.88s haha seems so funny to be on the freeway at 55mph in 6th gear.

Got a long drive ahead of me breaking in the gears a bit on the 180 mile trip home.

I do have a bit of vibration in the 55-60mph range that I'm willing to bet is the front drive shaft since this is the first time im driving with it installed so once I get it home I'm going to have to measure again the drive shaft angle and caster and see if I need to get some adjustable control arms. But I won't be driving faster than 60 for most the drive home anyways haha

So you would recommend 4:88 for 33” to 35” tires? Glad you got it back finally

desertrunner

So you would recommend 4:88 for 33” to 35” tires? Glad you got it back finally

I have had very little time with it so far and only street driving no off roading but the 4.88s is a bit high for my 33s. For example I'm in 3rd gear before getting through an intersection and driving 55mph in 6th at 2300rpm. I am driving around 1 gear higher than I'm used to in my stock Tacoma 6 speed and on average 1 gear higher than I'm used to in all the manual cars that I have had. It's all opinion but if your stopping at 35s id say 4.56 is probably a better bet but I have future plans to go 37s.

The torque is sure nice but in my opinion it's over geared for 33s. I haven't been above 60 yet (gear brake in) and havent been off road yet so maybe my opinion will change

desertrunner

Ok little update from freeway driving. 70 mph at 2900rpm really not bad at all.

I have definitely picked up on a very low bassy type buzz that starts around 50mph and is consistent up to 70mph. I still can only imagine it's the new front drive shaft in conjunction with the extra caster pr44 and all stock control arms. It's not that bad but I can feel the slight buzz in the floor of the jeep while driving.

Once I get it home I'm gonna have to get under again and double check caster and driveshaft angle and see if maybe some adjustable control arms will help.

desertrunner

Well now I done messed up trying to install the solinoids in my compressor. Those plugs were in there so damn tight I ended up stripping one :( now I gotta figure out how the hell I'm gonna get it out

20180110_180948.jpg

Top Bottom