12' Gecko Build

desertrunner

Anyone ever use these to remove stripped screws? I may need to try it to get this plug out. My worry is i found a star bit that grabbed on and my drill wasn't strong enough to spin it so I'm not sure that tool would help

Screenshot_20180110-182216.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Anyone ever use these to remove stripped screws? I may need to try it to get this plug out. My worry is i found a star bit that grabbed on and my drill wasn't strong enough to spin it so I'm not sure that tool would help

I've never used those before, not sure. I would try a hex bit that's one size bigger than what you were using, tap it in with a hammer, then try unscrewing it.

desertrunner

Nvm got it, damn that thing was in there tight, but I was able to hammer in the Allen key further and then tap it with a hammer like an impact and it finally broke loose

desertrunner

Got the compressor installed with the evo mount. Turned out nice and clean. Pro tip make sure you test fit a few times before tightening everything down to clear everything, I had to cut a little off the 2 back mounting bolts and re clock the compressor a few times to clear the brake fluid cap. It's a tight fit but it turned out nice. Gonna work on the wiring at a later time

20180110_225008.jpg

20180110_224345.jpg

20180110_224408.jpg

20180110_225030.jpg

desertrunner

Ended up going with a not so temporary solution to the compressor and locker switches. Turned out clean though. And I elected for now not to tap into back lighting so for now they only light up when they are on. Tapped into the cigarette lighter for ignition power and it works just like advertised.

20180115_213208.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Got the compressor installed with the evo mount. Turned out nice and clean. Pro tip make sure you test fit a few times before tightening everything down to clear everything, I had to cut a little off the 2 back mounting bolts and re clock the compressor a few times to clear the brake fluid cap. It's a tight fit but it turned out nice. Gonna work on the wiring at a later time

View attachment 289199

View attachment 289200

View attachment 289201

View attachment 289202

I added a couple washers between the bolt head and the compressor to shorten the bolts. Mine was hitting too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Welp got all the air lines run today and everything checks out. Both lockers engage as advertised. Left them engaged for about 10 mins to check for air leaks, compressor never came back on and I couldn't hear any leaks. I took Coz's advice and ran the rear line across the engine bay and along the top of the gas tank well away from any exhaust. Front line dropped straight down to the driver side frame rail and along my axle breather tube.

And with that completed that is finally dynatrac trail leader package install complete!!!!

Now just time to pick out some longer shocks and Hatch is ready to get put to the test!

WJCO

Meme King
Welp got all the air lines run today and everything checks out. Both lockers engage as advertised. Left them engaged for about 10 mins to check for air leaks, compressor never came back on and I couldn't hear any leaks. I took Coz's advice and ran the rear line across the engine bay and along the top of the gas tank well away from any exhaust. Front line dropped straight down to the driver side frame rail and along my axle breather tube.

And with that completed that is finally dynatrac trail leader package install complete!!!!

Now just time to pick out some longer shocks and Hatch is ready to get put to the test!

Good to hear.

JKbrick

Nice job, glad it’s back on the road

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

What to do next?

I'm at a little of an impasse on what to do next with the next chuck of money I socked away for the jeep.

I need new shocks for sure at some point the stock ones are fine just too short to get any respectable flex out of. I really want some Kings, buy once cry once, 2.0s seem like an awesome option but obviously the 2.5s would be sweet. I may need to buy the relocation brackets and wheel spacers to clear them from the sound of it though.

Could buy a set of machete beadlocks. Would give me that 3.5 BS to clear everything down the road and the obvious added benefit of the beadlocks.

I have pretty much all the suspension and drive train components to get enough height and strength to run the 37s so I could buy those..... but I still have the stock tire carrier and rear bumper so that seems dumb. And I'm not sure I can clear 37x1350 with my current 4.5" BS wheels on 2.5-3" lift

Or I could get the evo rear gate carrier, rear fascia, and a set of longer Rancho shocks.

Those are the 4 options I am toying with dropping money on next. What would you do next?

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
What to do next?

I'm at a little of an impasse on what to do next with the next chuck of money I socked away for the jeep.

I need new shocks for sure at some point the stock ones are fine just too short to get any respectable flex out of. I really want some Kings, buy once cry once, 2.0s seem like an awesome option but obviously the 2.5s would be sweet. I may need to buy the relocation brackets and wheel spacers to clear them from the sound of it though.

Could buy a set of machete beadlocks. Would give me that 3.5 BS to clear everything down the road and the obvious added benefit of the beadlocks.

I have pretty much all the suspension and drive train components to get enough height and strength to run the 37s so I could buy those..... but I still have the stock tire carrier and rear bumper so that seems dumb. And I'm not sure I can clear 37x1350 with my current 4.5" BS wheels on 2.5-3" lift

Or I could get the evo rear gate carrier, rear fascia, and a set of longer Rancho shocks.

Those are the 4 options I am toying with dropping money on next. What would you do next?

Hmmmmm that’s a tough one... I would probably go with the evo rear gate carrier, facia and rancho shocks? Then machete beadlocks, then 37s

desertrunner

Hmmmmm that’s a tough one... I would probably go with the evo rear gate carrier, facia and rancho shocks? Then machete beadlocks, then 37s

Kinda where my mind is at too

I'm really torn on just buying the King 2.0s or the Ranchos with the gate carrier and fascia. I don't really have a reason to need a new carrier or rear bumper at this time though so I'm leaning toward the 2.0s

BaddestCross

My approach has been build up in the order of "importance" - which can mean different things to different folks, obviously.

Basically, I went recovery gear, armor, tire carrier, lift & suspension, 35s, lighting, drivetrain upgrades... Now I'm ready for the 37s. Every time I wheeled in between my list changed and I tweaked things like bump stop, coil weight, etc as I figured out what was important to me and what I want to do. Honestly, the 2 door is pretty damn capable with 35s and the 37s are just for "bragging rights" and just that much more clearance and capability.

You've done a lot of stuff so far, so your next step may be different than mine. If it were me, I'd probably go with shocks to match your lift (I forget how high you are now) maybe even Rancho so you can figure out what you need to do next. If you spend the coin on Kings and find out they're to short/long or once you wheel you decide you want to go in a different direction you won't have lost much.

Tough decision, but really, a personal one depending on your end goal.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

desertrunner

My approach has been build up in the order of "importance" - which can mean different things to different folks, obviously.

Basically, I went recovery gear, armor, tire carrier, lift & suspension, 35s, lighting, drivetrain upgrades... Now I'm ready for the 37s. Every time I wheeled in between my list changed and I tweaked things like bump stop, coil weight, etc as I figured out what was important to me and what I want to do. Honestly, the 2 door is pretty damn capable with 35s and the 37s are just for "bragging rights" and just that much more clearance and capability.

You've done a lot of stuff so far, so your next step may be different than mine. If it were me, I'd probably go with shocks to match your lift (I forget how high you are now) maybe even Rancho so you can figure out what you need to do next. If you spend the coin on Kings and find out they're to short/long or once you wheel you decide you want to go in a different direction you won't have lost much.

Tough decision, but really, a personal one depending on your end goal.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
I definitely got the drivetrain set, have all my skids and recovery gear, I like the tires I have and would kinda like to run them for a year or so just to see how it does. I know for sure I need new shocks that is a must.

When I did my axle swap I measured like 15 times to see if I can fit the king 2.0s for a 3-5" lift up front, and I can, but only because I have to run a bit more bumpstop than I want so the PR44 doesn't hit stuff and believe it or not the coils are still seated pretty well at the full extended length of the 3-5". I am in the realm of 1.5-2" of lift and end goal is 2.5-3" of lift and 37s. I know that if I buy the kings for the front they will fit now and not be too short for later at only 1" higher. Now in the rear I still need to measure and see what I can get away with for shock length BUT if I have to buy the kings for 0-2" then later down the road go higher to fit 37s I could just get a set of evo rock stars and move that shock back up 2". so I am really thinking I can get away with buying the kings just once.

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I definitely got the drivetrain set, have all my skids and recovery gear, I like the tires I have and would kinda like to run them for a year or so just to see how it does. I know for sure I need new shocks that is a must.

When I did my axle swap I measured like 15 times to see if I can fit the king 2.0s for a 3-5" lift up front, and I can, but only because I have to run a bit more bumpstop than I want so the PR44 doesn't hit stuff and believe it or not the coils are still seated pretty well at the full extended length of the 3-5". I am in the realm of 1.5-2" of lift and end goal is 2.5-3" of lift and 37s. I know that if I buy the kings for the front they will fit now and not be too short for later at only 1" higher. Now in the rear I still need to measure and see what I can get away with for shock length BUT if I have to buy the kings for 0-2" then later down the road go higher to fit 37s I could just get a set of evo rock stars and move that shock back up 2". so I am really thinking I can get away with buying the kings just once.

Sent from my SM-T810 using WAYALIFE mobile app
It sounds like we're going for the same basic setup then. I don't have the PR44, but other than that, we're on the same path. 🍻

Right now I'm at about 3" in the front and, technically, 3.75" in the rear but the weight I carry holds her down to about 2.5-3. I'm running 3" Rancho's in the front and 2.5" Rancho's in the rear but I did the Rockstars so the shock compresses to almost bottoming out but not quite running about 2" bump stop.

My plan is to run Kings eventually, but I'm happy enough with the Rancho right now that I'll run them till they die and go from there.

Anyway, this is supposed to be about you... 😂

If your happy with the tires, go for the shocks you want to run... If the Kings will work for your end game of 37s and you've got the cash, go for it! Next I'd do the tire carrier, higher lift, and then the 37s.

--

desertrunner

So I think I've decided to go with a set of Rancho 9000s and then I'm gonna go ahead and buy the evo gate tire carrier. I'll probably just run the stock rear bumper for the time being until it gets all banged up. I conformed last night that I can in fact run the 4" lift Rancho up front I just still need to measure the rear before I can order. I'll post up updates once I finally get going on those

Top Bottom