1985 CJ-8 Scrambler Restoration

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Looks great! So aside from pushing the axle forward to accommodate the 35s what springs are you running? The CJ7 frame I picked up supposedly have 5” springs but the shackles are really tall. I’m admittedly very jealous of this project you have going.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Looks great! So aside from pushing the axle forward to accommodate the 35s what springs are you running? The CJ7 frame I picked up supposedly have 5” springs but the shackles are really tall. I’m admittedly very jealous of this project you have going.

YJ width 2.5” Alcan springs set up for a 4” lift. Alcan custom builds the springs per Jeep and factors in the type of engine, winch, spare tire load, etc. They’re a bunch of old school Jeep and buggy guys and have been great to work with.

I also did a shackle reversal to improve the ride a bit and protect the front shackles.

5” is really tall. The pictures I just posted are with the scrambler sitting on 33s. I’m going to wait on the 35s until she’s done to see how I like the stance and flex.

This project has been a dream of mine for years, My only regret is not being as involved with the project as much as I would like, but she’s in great hands.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

Just left the shop. Still welding the patches back in, but I couldn’t be happier seeing the body back on the frame!

View attachment 340753

View attachment 340754

View attachment 340755

View attachment 340756

The biggest issue we need to get resolved is the front pinion angle is way too low. We around going to have to burn the perches off and straighten that out.

View attachment 340757

View attachment 340758

All the patches should be in next week and then it is back to paint.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

It is looking great. I see a potential problem though. The shackles look like they may flip with very much axle droop.

It does and I know the caster is way off too. When I had the custom springs built from alcan, I had them push the front axle forward to allow for 35s. This meant the axle came up higher on the spring causing the pinion angle to be down to low. Like everything, it will take some modifications. Just keep closing my eyes and signing checks... I’m starting to feel like one of my clients. [emoji17]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Reading this explains why it may have gotten that way. I'm not sure how they moved the axle, was it just by locating the centering hole forward on the springs?

While it is all apart, it will be much easier to check it out. You would hate to have it all buttoned up and have it flip a shackles first time you flex it.

Looking at just the pics you show, it looks to me like the upper shackle mount needs to move forward in the frame a bit.

The ride will be much improved by the spring reversal, as long as the shackle angle is right, and the driveshaft is right. It usually takes a longer than normal slip yoke to allow maximum axle droop without coming out of the splines, while also leaving enough room for full compression to not push the driveshaft back through the transfer case.

I'm sure your builder has accounted for that, but I have seen some that didn't.

wjtstudios

Hooked
It is looking great. I see a potential problem though. The shackles look like they may flip with very much axle droop.

Reading this explains why it may have gotten that way. I'm not sure how they moved the axle, was it just by locating the centering hole forward on the springs?

While it is all apart, it will be much easier to check it out. You would hate to have it all buttoned up and have it flip a shackles first time you flex it.

Looking at just the pics you show, it looks to me like the upper shackle mount needs to move forward in the frame a bit.

The ride will be much improved by the spring reversal, as long as the shackle angle is right, and the driveshaft is right. It usually takes a longer than normal slip yoke to allow maximum axle droop without coming out of the splines, while also leaving enough room for full compression to not push the driveshaft back through the transfer case.

I’ll look into that on the front shackles. There’s almost no weight on the front right now which is accounting for some of that odd angle. It has been up on the lift at full droop and did not flip, but I agree, it looks odd and needs to be checked.

The DSs are going to be custom built so I will have them built with a longer slip yoke. Thanks for the heads up on that!!

My builder is amazing at restoration, but he’s never built a Jeep like this so I’ve got to lead him though these unique details. So if you got any great tips as you see things let me know!!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

There is also nothing on the front end. The shackle will look fine once weight is on it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

There is also nothing on the front end. The shackle will look fine once weight is on it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

You are likely right, but I would rather be wrong now than for him to find out later that it is off just enough to flip.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m most excited to go pick up the engine in a couple weeks! It’s starting to get real!!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Making great progress! I don’t know how you sleep at night? I’d be up sweating every detail!

jorgelrod

Hooked
I don't know how you can deal with these two projects at the same time. It's like having two wives and have them both pregnant at the same time. I'd be going out of my mind!! between desperation and anticipation my blood pressure would be through the roof...

wjtstudios

Hooked
I don't know how you can deal with these two projects at the same time. It's like having two wives and have them both pregnant at the same time. I'd be going out of my mind!! between desperation and anticipation my blood pressure would be through the roof...

Its full on right now. The scrambler project turned one year this week so it’s easier to keep my mind from spinning out of control on that one. I’ve got one hell of a car guru on it, so other than funding him and keeping parts heading his way it’s not too stressful. Bison’s a different story, but because of the shear weight of the axles, the swaps being handled and at friend of mines shop. I don’t have the room to even think about that. While it’s in, they are going to to the booster swap to since they need to bleed the brake system anyway. So on Bison, I just need to turn bead lock blots to wrap up this step. Then off to chop the bumpers. Never a dull moment!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Last edited:
Top Bottom