1985 CJ-8 Scrambler Restoration

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Its full on right now. The scrambler project turned one year this week so it’s easier to keep my mind from spinning out of control on that one. I’ve got one hell of a car guru on it, so other than funding him and keeping parts heading his way it’s not too stressful. Bison’s a different story, but because of the shear weight of the axles, the swaps being handled and at friend of mines shop. I don’t have the room to even think about that. While it’s in, they are going to to the booster swap to since they need to bleed the brake system anyway. So on Bison, I just need to turn bead lock blots to wrap up this step. Then off to chop the bumpers. Never a dull moment!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Personally, I'm glad to have guys like you around. Sure, I've spent a stupid amount of money, but I only do it one Jeep at a time. Makes me feel pretty conservative in contrast.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Personally, I'm glad to have guys like you around. Sure, I've spent a stupid amount of money, but I only do it one Jeep at a time. Makes me feel pretty conservative in contrast.

With economy and my company cranking, it’s made all of that possible. I’m only limited by how many projects I can turn out.

But thank you! It is a crazy dream come true on both fronts!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Slowly but surely. Can't believe it's been a year already.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GRIMGPR

Wow

You and me both!! A couple weeks I hope.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Sorry so late to your build. First I wanted to say just incredible. I also own my first jeep from 1978 not often I see someone who has owned their jeep an entire lifetime. So good on you my friend. Love love love a Scrambler have restored a few but yours is going to be beautiful!!! Your build is spot on and I am looking forward to see her in paint. It took me three years to restore my CJ7. The closer you get to finishing the harder it gets. Hahaha keep up the good work the AMC crowd is watching and we are truly impressed. Old jeeps never die not with people like you my friend. Restore and enjoy. Jeep life :) IMG_20190731_155820.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Sorry so late to your build. First I wanted to say just incredible. I also own my first jeep from 1978 not often I see someone who has owned their jeep an entire lifetime. So good on you my friend. Love love love a Scrambler have restored a few but yours is going to be beautiful!!! Your build is spot on and I am looking forward to see her in paint. It took me three years to restore my CJ7. The closer you get to finishing the harder it gets. Hahaha keep up the good work the AMC crowd is watching and we are truly impressed. Old jeeps never die not with people like you my friend. Restore and enjoy. Jeep life :) View attachment 341111

Thank you very much! That means a lot to me from another lifer! We absolutely need to Jeep the old iron alive and not only just to look at, but to put to use as Jeeps should be. I can’t wait to get her back out on the trail this summer. Thanks again and nice old 8 [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

With economy and my company cranking, it’s made all of that possible. I’m only limited by how many projects I can turn out.

But thank you! It is a crazy dream come true on both fronts!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
Hiring? ;)

Did you get a paint sample yet? Are you reupholstering as well or going with the OE stuff

wjtstudios

Hooked
Hiring? ;)

Did you get a paint sample yet? Are you reupholstering as well or going with the OE stuff

No yet, we have the OE code for that year so it will go back to the original black.

Yes, I’m having the front seats reupholstered to the original grey vinyl. The leather wrapped steering wheel will be kept. Too much history there

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

No yet, we have the OE code for that year so it will go back to the original black.

Yes, I’m having the front seats reupholstered to the original grey vinyl. The leather wrapped steering wheel will be kept. Too much history there

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Its gonna be so pristine, begs the question.... will it wheel?

wjtstudios

Hooked
So with Rona slowing everything down, it’s good the my builder is sneaking in to get more done. He has it all blocked out, and is moving towards final paint. He’s recommending an oil based rust stop paint over the epoxy primer on the underbody and wheel wells as a precaution verses doing a under coat. I don’t have any experience when it comes to automotive paint. Is this a good plan? I trust this guy, and he really thinks this is the right direction. It will be in a gloss black to match the body color.

Any thoughts on this?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So with Rona slowing everything down, it’s good the my builder is sneaking in to get more done. He has it all blocked out, and is moving towards final paint. He’s recommending an oil based rust stop paint over the epoxy primer on the underbody and wheel wells as a precaution verses doing a under coat. I don’t have any experience when it comes to automotive paint. Is this a good plan? I trust this guy, and he really thinks this is the right direction. It will be in a gloss black to match the body color.

Any thoughts on this?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Epoxy primer is what you want on the bare steel for sure. Me personally, I typically come back over it with a urethane primer before paint but it'll cost more and may not be necessary. A good shop can make do with just epoxy. I am not a fan of undercoating so I think that's sound advice there too.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Epoxy primer is what you want on the bare steel for sure. Me personally, I typically come back over it with a urethane primer before paint but it'll cost more and may not be necessary. A good shop can make do with just epoxy. I am not a fan of undercoating so I think that's sound advice there too.

Thank you, I do remember him talking about a urethane primer as well, that may be part of his plan. I hate doing stuff like this over the phone, but in person isn’t much of an option these days.

I never liked the idea of the undercoating either. That’s why he wants to move in that direction.

Thanks again [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Just a few inspirational photos. I need something to look forward too in the fun times.

IMG_7704.jpg
IMG_7703.jpg
IMG_7700.jpg
IMG_7699.jpg

Can’t wait to get her back!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Attachments

• IMG_7700.jpg
    IMG_7700.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7699.jpg