2.5 rock krawler lift question

trexburn

Ive had this lift for over two years now on my 4 door. Is your jeep 2 or 4 door? Im not 100% sure but I think they use the same lift for both so the 2 doors actually net more lift. I run bilsteins and the only thing I added to it were brake line brackets and bump stops. It havent had any issues except for the rear trackbar bracket snapping off in the back, it was only bolted on, they recommend welding it on. I am still on factory drive shafts.

Its a 2 door, I'm also adding xrc bumpers will that squat it down enough to help? Probably a stupid question.

Sent from my QMV7B using WAYALIFE mobile app

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Not set on lift, 35/12.5/17 Goodyear mt/r Kevlar is what I'm thinking. Not set on that either. Its a daily driver that I would like to wheel as much as poss. Not a lot of sand or rock crawling, Indiana and surrounding areas. And pardon my ignorance on this matter but are the exhaust spacers supposed to take care of the drive shaft, or is the lift too tall for them to help. Also how does an after market drive shaft help this problem. Just curious.

I would choose other tires, those suck to get balanced. It's more of the shocks that have too much droop and really the spacers are just wasting time and money. Just save up for a front drive shaft.

Not set on lift, 35/12.5/17 Goodyear mt/r Kevlar is what I'm thinking. Not set on that either. Its a daily driver that I would like to wheel as much as poss. Not a lot of sand or rock crawling, Indiana and surrounding areas. And pardon my ignorance on this matter but are the exhaust spacers supposed to take care of the drive shaft, or is the lift too tall for them to help. Also how does an after market drive shaft help this problem. Just curious.

I know those mt/r are a popular tire, especially in the east as they seem to work well here, but they are HELL to balance. Just forewarning. The new driveshafts will be smaller diameter and will be jointed different than factory. Check out Coast, Reel or adams drivelines and youll see what i mean.

trexburn

I would choose other tires, those suck to get balanced. It's more of the shocks that have too much droop and really the spacers are just wasting time and money. Just save up for a front drive shaft.

Do you guys have a better choice in tire then, around the same price.

Ive never ran the nittos but ive never heard anything but good about them. Im running toyo m/t's and love them. A little on the heavy side, but have them balanced w hardly any weights at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I too would recommend Nitto or Toyo. Very round tires. I've run the MTR's and could never get them to balance and found their sidewalls to be weak.

jkwebbie

Nitto Trail Grapplers are real good and are usually around the same price if not cheaper. Cooper Discoverer STT is another good tire. I run with a lot of guys that have the Coopers and they work really good, I'm actually debating which tire to get actually lol

trexburn

I can't believe I'm going to open this can of worms but what metric is an equivalent to 35\ 12.5 \ 17 and I do know that they don't actually measure that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe I'm going to open this can of worms but what metric is an equivalent to 35\ 12.5 \ 17 and I do know that they don't actually measure that.

305/70R17 or 75R17 will be really close if not a bit taller. Depending on the make, some 285/75R17's are close too.

trexburn

So with the lift listed in op I should get brake line relocation bracket and as soon as poss. Get a drive shaft and adj. Control arms. Maybe have to get longer brake lines

olram30

So with the lift listed in op I should get brake line relocation bracket and as soon as poss. Get a drive shaft and adj. Control arms. Maybe have to get longer brake lines

Don't forget longer sway bar links.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If the kit really doesn't come with rear brake line drop brackets, that's just stupid and yes, you should get a set. So long as you DO NOT get new shocks that are too long, you should be fine with your factory front drive shaft. IF you do, yes, you should be looking to get a new one. IF your lift does in fact yield MORE than 3" of lift, adjustable front lower control arms will allow you to set more positive caster and that will improve your handling at highway speeds. New longer lines are only needed IF you are sitting at 3" or more and have shocks that will allow you greater droop.

Don't forget longer sway bar links.

At bare minimum, new longer rears so that you can install your factory rears up front.

trexburn

Got it thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You have a two door? I have those could and netted 3.5" of lift. You'll run into more issues then you think. I would reconsider your decision if you are on a budget.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I totally missed the 2-door part. Yeah, as OverlanderJK said, we just installed a set of those coils and they gave him 3.5" of lift. At this height, you will need to be looking into a new rear drive shaft and adjustable rear upper arms to set your pinion angle sooner than later. This in addition to other things you'll want. Not exactly a "budget" minded lift.

Damn. 2 door changes everything. Like they said, this could get costly to do right. And not doing it right will yield tons of issues...

olram30

I would just throw on a 2.5" budget boost, flat fenders to clear 35" tires and call it a day.

I would just throw on a 2.5" budget boost, flat fenders to clear 35" tires and call it a day.
Agreed ^^^^ much much more budget friendly. By all means, if you wanna hold off and save to do the OP lift, more power to ya. But to lift a 2 door like that is gonna need alot of parts.

Top Bottom