2018 WAYALIFE New Year's Kick Off Run HIGHLIGHTS

JAGS

Hooked
Just a fist sized dent. I’m not sure when. Maybe when I was a quart low on oil trying to get up a set of rocks?

You were wheeling that thing pretty hard the first day. Wouldn't be surprised if you did it then either. Need to get yourself some skids. Didn't you also hit your oil pan?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You were wheeling that thing pretty hard the first day. Wouldn't be surprised if you did it then either. Need to get yourself some skids. Didn't you also hit your oil pan?
No hits on the oil pan. I did hit a rock hauling ass that kicked up and it felt like it hit everything on the bottom on the way out on the first day. It could have been that.😀

JeepFan

Hooked
That'll work :thumb: Did you do the welds? They look good.

I let an expert do the welding. The axle tube was straightened and the crack was V notched and got a single pass root tig weld. Then a half moon metal patch was mig welded into place. Should hold for a long long time! Axle seals were replaced as well.

Astroman

A week since this awesome run and I'm still basking in the recollection of all the fun and adventure. Really enjoyed this run and meeting a great bunch of like-minded zealots for our Wayalife! Kudos to Eddie and Cindy for all the hard work that made this a memorable way to start the New Year.

Here are a few pics and vids (Part I):

Shortly after arriving at the hotel Friday evening, I headed upstairs to the traditional pre-run festivities. Things were well in swing as Tony (JeepFan) handed me a vodka tonic and the fatigue from 6 hours of driving just faded away...
medium800.jpg

After indulging in libations, we headed over to Cafe Rio to tie on the feedbag, nom, nom......
medium800.jpg

The next morning we rallied at the departure point and got to know folks and their vehicles better (vid)

Ed (brute) brought his Hellcat powered JK6 all the way from Washington state :bowdown:
medium800.jpg

Turns out the Asian contingent was well represented -- here, three of the 4 Korean-Americans (Kevin - kpig not pictured). Amazingly Ed and I learned we both had Korean mothers, married to fathers in the U.S. Army....and we were both born in the Seoul Army Hospital! :crazyeyes:
medium800.jpg

Onward to the great Mojave Desert and our first stop/air-down point (vid):

Second stop at an abandoned ranch....
medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Ed checks out the remains of a sailboat hull -- made of concrete!
medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Once a thriving orchard......
medium800.jpg

A lone survivor in this botanical cemetery .....
medium800.jpg

Ed's JK6 :drool: Diggin' that King racing jack!
medium800.jpg

Next stop at the Soggy Dry Lake (vid)

31 Jeeps all lined up...
medium800.jpg

This stop to learn of old WWII bombing targets...
medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Back on the trail for some pre-running. Love my DTD for crawling, but now have a firsthand appreciation for its high-speed whoop-eating capabilities!

Learning of some of the desert's oldest living organisms
medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

To be continued........

Astroman

Part II......

Waiting in line in the wash for the first rock obstacle:
medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Dave (DMF) captured my attempt:
medium800.jpg

Vic (Rubicon) shot this vid on the same obstacle (click to view):

Another easier rock obstacle (vid also shot by Vic):

Last set of rocks -- Eddie demonstrating some impressive agility dodging a 6000 lb JK :eek:

Following JAGS (Jason) -- time to open it up a little in 2WD (video):

Descending to the valley floor:
medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Stopping to re-group:
medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Last stop in the Rodman Mountains -- to see stunning examples of indian petroglyphs:
medium800.jpg

A short hike into the small canyon
medium800.jpg

Steve (Blazer) checking out the scene
medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Garret and Lauren (SDG) brought their new addition along for the fun
medium800.jpg

Admiring the luminous C3 marking on the hood of the Code 3 JK8 interceptor (piginajeep)
medium800.jpg

And it wouldn't quite be a true Wayalife run without finishing in the dark!

All in all, a terrific trail run with lots of beautiful scenery, some challenging obstacles, great people and a better understanding (at least for me) of the rich history and natural environment of the Mohave Desert. Can't wait for next year :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Part II......

All in all, a terrific trail run with lots of beautiful scenery, some challenging obstacles, great people and a better understanding (at least for me) of the rich history and natural environment of the Mohave Desert. Can't wait for next year :thumb:

Awesome pics Jim!!!! Thank you so much for posting these up :thumb:

DMF

I can still remember this trip like it was yesterday. Thx for sharing more great photos.

After the trip my wife said go ahead and get the PR44. :rock:

Top Bottom