3.6 or 2.0?

64Chevy

I don't own a JL, and so this is second hand, but take it for whatever it might be worth. I have a buddy who has had built Jeeps for years. Runs 37's, had been through multiple re-gears, etc. He now drives a 2019 JLUR with the 2.0/8 speed/37s. He has not re-geared, and he says he does better than his buddies who have the 3.6/8 speed, 35's, and 4.88s in the mountains. He has almost as much money as God, so price is absolutely no object to him. He has no intention of re-gearing his 2.0.

That said, I'm thinking that his little turbo 4 is working hard--might be a great choice for a 50-75K miles before upgrade vehicle, but I'd sure think twice about it for a 200K vehicle.

maddog1953

mileage

Hi, out on the highway I average round 27 to 28 mpg using 93 octane and around town 20 to 22mpg with my 18 2.0l JL unlimited
Next time out i'll take a screen shot on the mileage and posted.

WAbicon

I'm in the same place with trying to decide between the 2.0 and the 3.6. I finally got the ok to pick up my dream Rubicon and doing my research. I commute probably 85% highway and so the 2.0 looks inviting. Just trying to figure if they are getting close to advertised mpg, but looks like its kinda all over the place. A sport would probably be better for commuting, but i still want to play. Also, now that they've been out a couple years, how are the 2.0s holding up? I've been wary of turbo motors since owning a WRX (I know totally different design theory, but was constant maintenance)

maddog1953

I'm in the same place with trying to decide between the 2.0 and the 3.6. I finally got the ok to pick up my dream Rubicon and doing my research. I commute probably 85% highway and so the 2.0 looks inviting. Just trying to figure if they are getting close to advertised mpg, but looks like its kinda all over the place. A sport would probably be better for commuting, but i still want to play. Also, now that they've been out a couple years, how are the 2.0s holding up? I've been wary of turbo motors since owning a WRX (I know totally different design theory, but was constant maintenance)
Hi, this is my 2018 JL with the 2.0 turbo 20191230_151435.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

DMF

Unlimited Sport 4 door. Still stock, but will upgrade soon.

31mpg on a 4door, that’s incredible. I always do the miles divided by gallons and mine always shows around 18mpg. But my display would say 22. Anyways that’s some good mpg you got there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WAbicon

I would pick the 3.6 for longevity. I feel that the 2.0 won’t last as long because it’s constantly having to be worked hard.

I think they used to say that about the EcoBoost motors, but guys have been pulling 200K+ out of the F150s. (F-150 is what I'll be trading in, but a 5.0)

Hi, this is my 2018 JL with the 2.0 turbo

That is impressive mileage. I hope to see something on the higher end of the ratings with my commute.

WJCO

Meme King
I think they used to say that about the EcoBoost motors, but guys have been pulling 200K+ out of the F150s.

The only thing I've seen pulled out of an EcoBoost F150 is the motor because it's got broken pistons and/or rods. I can honestly say I've seen at least 20 of them.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The only thing I've seen pulled out of an EcoBoost F150 is the motor because it's got broken pistons and/or rods. I can honestly say I've seen at least 20 of them.

A guy I work with has a Ford 5.0. He said he was afraid of the Ecoboost, because his friend destroyed one, towing a trailer from Brandon, MS to Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No replacement for displacement. And in no way am I defending the pentashit. I just wouldn’t consider a 4 cylinder for anything more than a Civic. The ford eco boost is junk too.

jdofmemi

In my experience, nothing good comes from asking a small engine to do big engine work.

Sure, it will for a while, but it just won't last.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
No replacement for displacement. And in no way am I defending the pentashit. I just wouldn’t consider a 4 cylinder for anything more than a Civic. The ford eco boost is junk too.

In my experience, nothing good comes from asking a small engine to do big engine work.

Sure, it will for a while, but it just won't last.

Best answers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DMF

I think more people should buy the 2.0. So when the time comes I can find videos on how to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Looking at a 2dr JL for the wife.
Went down a few old threads.

Had to endure a lot of BlueRubicon posts.
Forgot how much of a douche that guy was.

Anyway, we’re leaning towards the 3.6 with the etorque instead of the 2.0T.

Anyone have any further experience good or bad with the etorque on the 3.6? I’m pretty bummed to have to settle for this weird shit on my Pentastar…maybe it’s not an issue??

NPC 6060⁸42

I am curious the last post before today was a little over four years ago. Has the longevity of the 2.0 has been acceptable or not so much.

I am curious the last post before today was a little over four years ago. Has the longevity of the 2.0 has been acceptable or not so much.

Me too. I’m looking for the person who has 200K miles on their 2.0, runs 37s, drives exclusively between 6,000 and 12,000 ft, likes to off-road for 12hr days in 95 degree sun, and constant dust…

What have the maintenance issues been?

I know at that point my Pentastar needs a new oil filter housing, Tstat, maybe has a warped head and lifters maybe need to be replaced and it will be good until 300K mi.

And even then, do those problems exist as much on JL pentastars?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at a 2dr JL for the wife.
Went down a few old threads.

Had to endure a lot of BlueRubicon posts.
Forgot how much of a douche that guy was.
:ROFLMAO:
Anyway, we’re leaning towards the 3.6 with the etorque instead of the 2.0T.

Anyone have any further experience good or bad with the etorque on the 3.6? I’m pretty bummed to have to settle for this weird shit on my Pentastar…maybe it’s not an issue??
The upside to having etorque is that you don't have to deal with the auxiliary battery under the main one. The downside to it is that you do have a BIG battery under your Jeep and you also have the cooler lines that run along the frame rail that you need to be concerned with. That said, I really liked the 2.0L back when it had etorque.

Top Bottom