37's on a Dana 30?? Also, EVO vs Genright Rear carrier

ttfhell

I sure hope they change some of the lines as it looked way fugly to me. Aside from EVO, I really like the Genright tire carrier - on a setup like yours, it looks badass!!

main.php

That pic doesn't do it justice on that jeep. I've thought about as it would kind of match my jeep.

rtguy1

Curious to what is you guys don't like about the psc carrier. The angle on the tubing, the brackets, etc? It looks so similar to the genright to me. As I said I'm still undecided.

JKFlyer

Curious to what is you guys don't like about the psc carrier. The angle on the tubing, the brackets, etc? It looks so similar to the genright to me. As I said I'm still undecided.

I dont like that it has bracket over tire center....cant use lug nut brake lights which i love. also, no top hoop. kind of like a stinger for the rear (but not really). just not real beefy in my opinion :icon_crazy:

JKFlyer

What is the backspacing on your wheels? I ask because my wheels have 4.75 backspacing and that was fine when I was running my 35s no rub at all at full turn. When I put my 37s on I figured its the same width no big deal so i shouldnt rub. I was wrong because the tires have a larger circumference and rubbed my frame at full lock. I added washers to my steering stops at first but still rubbed a little. I wanted my full turning radius back so i got 1.5 inch wheel spacers. this stopped the rubbing completely and gave me about 3.25 inches of total backspace (1.5 spacers - 4.75 backspace wheels). so to answer your question you will need 3.5 inches of backspacing with 37x12.50x17 tires if you dont want to rub and want full turning radius. figure out what backspacing your running now and go from there

gotcha. thx :clap2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Honestly, not that I'm even liking the photos you posted but in them, it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did in person. The angle of the tubes as it leaves the body is too extreme and looks like a mistake. The HUGE bracket on the driver side corner looks like an afterthought and doesn't compliment the carrier at all. Maybe if there was something similar on the passenger side it would look a little better but without it, the hinge side "looks" really weak. Maybe it's not but that's how it looks. Compared to the really nice lines of their bumpers, rocker guards and even fenders, I have to say that this new tire carrier doesn't compliment them at all. But, that's just me.

silverbackjk

thats why i was saying it comes down to the carrier you like. if you like the genright carrier get the PS skins. if you like the EVO carrier get the EVO skins. i have seen it tho where someone on here had the evo skins and the genright carrier. i forget if they had to do any mods to the skins but it did look good.

I have the genright carrier with evo skins and it is a great setup

MTG

Caught the Bug
Honestly, not that I'm even liking the photos you posted but in them, it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did in person. The angle of the tubes as it leaves the body is too extreme and looks like a mistake. The HUGE bracket on the driver side corner looks like an afterthought and doesn't compliment the carrier at all. Maybe if there was something similar on the passenger side it would look a little better but without it, the hinge side "looks" really weak. Maybe it's not but that's how it looks. Compared to the really nice lines of their bumpers, rocker guards and even fenders, I have to say that this new tire carrier doesn't compliment them at all. But, that's just me.

Agreed. Looks like a home built one that someone attempted after seeing the Genright version. :yup:

For lack of a better description it just looks "off" to me. I like a lot of PSC stuff, but this one needs reworked. :yup:

silverbackjk

ahhh i knew i saw it somewhere on here! yes as JKFlyer said please post pics of it again

Here you guys go it's the best I have on the phone. You just need to weld custom bracket on drivers side to Evo skins. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385502177.227374.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385502203.958196.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385502240.257985.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

Agreed. Looks like a home built one that someone attempted after seeing the Genright version. :yup:

For lack of a better description it just looks "off" to me. I like a lot of PSC stuff, but this one needs reworked. :yup:

I was trying to figure iut why i didnt like it and what you say is it. Looks like an ugly custom job some joe did in his garage

Here you guys go it's the best I have on the phone. You just need to weld custom bracket on drivers side to Evo skins. View attachment 57967 View attachment 57968 View attachment 57969

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What made you decide to go with the this over the Evo carrier?

Sent from my phone?

JKFlyer

I was trying to figure iut why i didnt like it and what you say is it. Looks like an ugly custom job some joe did in his garage

Sent from my phone?

looks great! same question...why not do evo carrier at that point?

rtguy1

In my opinion way nicer and beefer than the poison spyder

Why is the genright beefier? Just wondering. Tubing looks to be the same size etc.
thanks for all the opinions guys. A lot of things I hadn't really thought about or looked at between the two.

bl17z90

Why is the genright beefier? Just wondering. Tubing looks to be the same size etc.
thanks for all the opinions guys. A lot of things I hadn't really thought about or looked at between the two.

I think the lack of the upper hoop makes it "appear" less sturdy.

Sent from my phone?

silverbackjk

Sent from my phone?

I will never run anything over 35's on this jeep. But it is pleanty strong to hold up to a 40 if you wanted to. The evo carrier you need to run at least 37's or the tire so tiny

Last edited:

silverbackjk

I think it is the angle it is at is just deceiving me on the poison one and the hinges and latch look more flimsy than the genright IMO. And i get no rattles at all on the genright. Not sure on the poison one.

Last edited:

JKFlyer

I will never run anything over 35's on this jeep. But it is pleanty strong to hold up to a 40 if you wanted to. The evo carrier you need to run at least 37's or the tire so tiny

actually check this thread out on Evo carrier. I thought same thing but looka t 35's, vs 37, vs 40., you can positin tire it seems so it doesn't look wimpy. 35's looks great IMO. they just dont stick out underneath but the fill the hoop nicely.

go to page 4 of the thread
http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/evo-rear-rockskins-tire-carrier-install-178354/page4/

silverbackjk

actually check this thread out on Evo carrier. I thought same thing but looka t 35's, vs 37, vs 40., you can positin tire it seems so it doesn't look wimpy. 35's looks great IMO. they just dont stick out underneath but the fill the hoop nicely.

go to page 4 of the thread
http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/evo-rear-rockskins-tire-carrier-install-178354/page4/

That pic is deceiving i have see one in person with 35's and the carrier really looks empty.

Top Bottom