40" Tires on a Dana 44 - Moby Endurance Test 2009 : 9 Trails in 6 Weeks

Charles

As mentioned, we have a Rubicon and they come with an electronic disconnect. The links stay attached and the sway bar itself is separated by an electronic motor.

Yes. You are looking at the old EVO bump stop extension that would have been installed if you didn't get air bumps installed with your DTD.

Yes, you are also seeing the old EVO rear sway bar system. It was similar to the Anti-Rock system only it was a part of the EVO lever frame. I actually didn't care for it much it as it was super squeaky and had a torsion rate that was higher than I preferred. In the end, it did break on me on Billings Canyon and is documented on the Keep it Tight video.

main.php

:dont_tell: Mel is a personal friend of mine as well as an advertiser here. If people find out that I tell the TRUTH about ALL products including those belonging to friends/advertisers, people might get the idea that I'm an honest guy
. :cheesy:

no way they would ever think that. What i have seen this would kill their daily chore of writing BS.

Thanks for the pics and write-up. Like always very helpful.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
although i am probably not going to ever be running 40s it was great to read this and watch the video. i must say it is the first time i have every seen Moby needing some help. but he was having a rough day, so i don't blame him.

hbkid22

I believe (and this is from memory) eddie said its better to have a sport/Sahara rear since the shafts are the same length so you only have to carry one spare shaft.

What axles are in a sport/Sahara? Is that a Dana 44? I am not familiar with all the stock axles yet but I have a sport and I know the lengths are the same for the shafts but what is the actual axle name?

t8er

yep. unlike the factory Rubi diff's the Sports and Sahara's have equal length shafts because they don't have the locker.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What axles are in a sport/Sahara? Is that a Dana 44? I am not familiar with all the stock axles yet but I have a sport and I know the lengths are the same for the shafts but what is the actual axle name?

Yes it's still a d44 just like in the rubicon. The difference is obviously the locker, spline count on the shafts (30 spline on sport, 32 for rubi), and shaft length. On sports the shafts are the same length which means you only need one spare shaft if one breaks. On a rubi I believe the passenger side is shorter so if it breaks and you only have a driver side shaft your SOL

hbkid22

Yes it's still a d44 just like in the rubicon. The difference is obviously the locker, spline count on the shafts (30 spline on sport, 32 for rubi), and shaft length. On sports the shafts are the same length which means you only need one spare shaft if one breaks. On a rubi I believe the passenger side is shorter so if it breaks and you only have a driver side shaft your SOL

Ahhhh. Good info. One last question. I assume I can just buy new shafts with a higher spline count and install them (and assume both sides need to be the same number of splines)? Don't need to do any other adjustments, parts or upgrades?

RockyJk

Ahhhh. Good info. One last question. I assume I can just buy new shafts with a higher spline count and install them (and assume both sides need to be the same number of splines)? Don't need to do any other adjustments, parts or upgrades?

You would have to change the carrier to accept the different spline count, if you were to put an arb locker I believe you can run 35 spline shafts

hbkid22

You would have to change the carrier to accept the different spline count, if you were to put an arb locker I believe you can run 35 spline shafts

Got it. I don't plan on doing anything til something breaks or I get my locker so that is good to know.

Thanks.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

This^^ you need a new carrier or locker to accept a higher spline count. ARB has a 35 spline locker so you can run 35 spline shafts. I opted to stick with the stock 30 spline ARB locker cause new 35 spline shafts at that time were too expensive

hbkid22

This^^ you need a new carrier or locker to accept a higher spline count. ARB has a 35 spline locker so you can run 35 spline shafts. I opted to stick with the stock 30 spline ARB locker cause new 35 spline shafts at that time were too expensive

Now who said the sheeple don't know what they are talking about over here! Thanks guys for all the help and info.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I believe (and this is from memory) eddie said its better to have a sport/Sahara rear since the shafts are the same length so you only have to carry one spare shaft.

Yeah I knew that. I just wasn't sure if they did it because of that or because they blew up their factory.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This is partly correct but the main reason we made the change is because of the above mentioned.

Braxtonsag

Reviving an old thread. Eddie, do you think that the weight of that big wheel and wide tire combo could have played part in the premature failure? Obviously Dana 44s aren’t meant to be beat on with 40s, but I’m just wondering if your gear choice with the small pinion, style of wheeling, and overall wheel weight could have been a big factor in it going so early

Top Bottom