40" Tires on a Dana 44 - Moby Endurance Test 2009 : 9 Trails in 6 Weeks

jorgelrod

Hooked
Reviving an old thread. Eddie, do you think that the weight of that big wheel and wide tire combo could have played part in the premature failure? Obviously Dana 44s aren’t meant to be beat on with 40s, but I’m just wondering if your gear choice with the small pinion, style of wheeling, and overall wheel weight could have been a big factor in it going so early

Probably a gear ratio with a bigger pinion would not have been enough to move the 40's. In addition, the taller the wheel, the bigger the fulcrum on the gears, at some point something is going to give...

Braxtonsag

Probably a gear ratio with a bigger pinion would not have been enough to move the 40's. In addition, the taller the wheel, the bigger the fulcrum on the gears, at some point something is going to give...

Oh no doubt with his style of wheeling it would be a matter of when not if. This is completely hypothetical, but I wonder if having a 3.6, 5.13s or 4.88s, 17” wheels and a 13.50 wide tire would’ve made a substantial difference.

Pinion would be bigger, significantly less rotational mass, and being able to turn them being a non factor

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Reviving an old thread. Eddie, do you think that the weight of that big wheel and wide tire combo could have played part in the premature failure? Obviously Dana 44s aren’t meant to be beat on with 40s, but I’m just wondering if your gear choice with the small pinion, style of wheeling, and overall wheel weight could have been a big factor in it going so early

I'm sure it's just me but I've never seen weight be an issue the way size will be. As far as the failure goes, there was nothing "premature" about it. I'm actually surprised it held out for as long as it did. Sure, 5.13 would have been stronger but even with 5.38, they're just barely enough for 40's - even with a 3.6L. Trust me, I've owned a 2012 with one and ran 40's on it as well. Not sure what you mean by "style of wheeling" but I'm sure you can find tons of guys who will tell you that they run 40's on a Dana 30.

Braxtonsag

I'm sure it's just me but I've never seen weight be an issue the way size will be. As far as the failure goes, there was nothing "premature" about it. I'm actually surprised it held out for as long as it did. Sure, 5.13 would have been stronger but even with 5.38, they're just barely enough for 40's - even with a 3.6L. Trust me, I've owned a 2012 with one and ran 40's on it as well. Not sure what you mean by "style of wheeling" but I'm sure you can find tons of guys who will tell you that they run 40's on a Dana 30.

Lmao I mean I can only go by what I’ve seen in videos but Iv never seen you get stuck cause you power through shit, that’s what I meant by style of wheeling. You’re probably right though, I was just curious. My 4.88s just seem over compensated for my 37s. Might just be because I’m in flat ol indiana though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lmao I mean I can only go by what I’ve seen in videos but Iv never seen you get stuck cause you power through shit, that’s what I meant by style of wheeling. You’re probably right though, I was just curious. My 4.88s just seem over compensated for my 37s. Might just be because I’m in flat ol indiana though.

LOL - Not sure what video you're referring to but I can only assume it's one of the newer JL ones. That being said, you'll forgive me but moving through an obstacle with good throttle control is hardly what I consider "powering through shit" and unless I'm getting winched, I don't really consider working it "getting stuck". But then, that's just me. When we chose to run this setup, we did so with the full knowledge that we were most likely going to break things and during that time, I made sure to stay off the skinny pedal. But, you can believe whatever it is you want to believe.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Hey Eddie, I saw that video again after the thread got resurrected, I see you already had the Dana 60 in the front, did you just use some sort of spacer to change the lug pattern in anticipation of breaking that rear and going to the 60 rear?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie, I saw that video again after the thread got resurrected, I see you already had the Dana 60 in the front, did you just use some sort of spacer to change the lug pattern in anticipation of breaking that rear and going to the 60 rear?

Used a 5x5 to 5x5.5 wheel adapter. After the break, we bought Mel's old PR60.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And as they say, the rest is Youtube history... ;)

Well, there was the time later where we broke one of the semi-float rear shafts in Moab. Apparently, Mel actually played hard with the axle before we bought it from him. We used the opportunity to have it completely rebuilt, converted to a full float and eventually gave it to Rubicat. :crazyeyes:

Braxtonsag

LOL - Not sure what video you're referring to but I can only assume it's one of the newer JL ones. That being said, you'll forgive me but moving through an obstacle with good throttle control is hardly what I consider "powering through shit" and unless I'm getting winched, I don't really consider working it "getting stuck". But then, that's just me. When we chose to run this setup, we did so with the full knowledge that we were most likely going to break things and during that time, I made sure to stay off the skinny pedal. But, you can believe whatever it is you want to believe.

I guess I should’ve worded it differently, I hardly see you having trouble, not “getting stuck”. And maybe I’m a vagina but I don’t make the jeep go up things it can’t just walk up, I’m generally the only jeep when we’re able to play out west so there’s a fear of being stranded if I break shit. That’s kinda what I meant by powering through shit. I admit I haven’t watched this video yet, saving it for tomorrow at work. But yes I was referring to newer videos where you persuade it with the throttle to get through and up things lol. Looking forward to watching this one tomorrow

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I should’ve worded it differently, I hardly see you having trouble, not “getting stuck”. And maybe I’m a vagina but I don’t make the jeep go up things it can’t just walk up, I’m generally the only jeep when we’re able to play out west so there’s a fear of being stranded if I break shit. That’s kinda what I meant by powering through shit. I admit I haven’t watched this video yet, saving it for tomorrow at work. But yes I was referring to newer videos where you persuade it with the throttle to get through and up things lol. Looking forward to watching this one tomorrow

I drive my Jeeps as hard as I feel comfortable with how I think they'll hold up. My JL is just running 37's and now with a ProRock 44 front axle. From experience, I know this setup should do well. I would not say the same about running 40" tires on anything less than a 60. Again, based on personal experience with my Jeep and from what I've personally seeing.

Exodus 4x4

40" Tires on a Dana 44 - Moby Endurance Test 2009 : 9 Trails in 6 Weeks

wayoflife;1148178When we chose to run this setup said:
I would not say the same about running 40" tires on anything less than a 60.

This is pretty much what I’m doing now on our JT. Anytime I post a pic of it on social media, there’s almost always a comment about the stock axles. Our intentions never were to run the stock axles very long IF we ran 40’s. Ultimately we will be swapping over to 1 ton axles of some variety, I just knew were going to run 40’s and coilovers right out the gate and decided to build around that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Braxtonsag

I drive my Jeeps as hard as I feel comfortable with how I think they'll hold up. My JL is just running 37's and now with a ProRock 44 front axle. From experience, I know this setup should do well. I would not say the same about running 40" tires on anything less than a 60. Again, based on personal experience with my Jeep and from what I've personally seeing.

For sure, you are most of the reason I have a pro rock being delivered Wednesday. Tired of stressing about breaking on the trail

Top Bottom