40's and overall rig height

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good point. Maybe this is a stupid question but what is the real advantage of 38" tires and a PR60 over 40's and a PR80? You lose an inch clearance with the PR80 but gain an inch and a half over a 37" tire in height over the axle. On a 38" you gain another 1/2" over a 37" but don't lose the inch of ground clearance? is it just cosmetics? If it is, you also deal with significantly higher rotating mass…..

Personally, I would stick with a 37 or a 40 if only because they are a common size and easier to find a spare if needed. 38 is just a weird size and unless you're just going to pound the pavement, I would steer clear of it. Having said that, 37's are a great size tire that'll get you going on just about any trail out there. It's what we run on Rubicat and what we used on the last JKX. 40's look badass for sure and will allow you to play that much harder but, unless you're playing out in places like Johnson Valley or Florence Junction on a regular basis, I might stick with 37's especially being that you seem to be having some heartache spending the kind of money to do it right.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Personally, I would stick with a 37 or a 40 if only because they are a common size and easier to find a spare if needed. 38 is just a weird size and unless you're just going to pound the pavement, I would steer clear of it. Having said that, 37's are a great size tire that'll get you going on just about any trail out there. It's what we run on Rubicat and what we used on the last JKX. 40's look badass for sure and will allow you to play that much harder but, unless you're playing out in places like Johnson Valley or Florence Junction on a regular basis, I might stick with 37's especially being that you seem to be having some heartache spending the kind of money to do it right.

I don't think I'll be hitting any of the west coast or AZ venues on a "regular" basis. Compared to locals who have this terrain in their back yard, I'll see it once or twice a year at most. I'll see more mild local stuff regularly so the argument can be made that I have a shit ton of overkill in the works. Still have a strange new itch to go 40's. Do I need it? No. You'e 100% right that 37's is probably all I need. But now that I know 40s still allow me to fit where I want to go, I am deathly afraid I am going to want to scratch that itch down the road for no other reason than gear head vanity. Don't have too much heartache about spending the cash to do it right but it definitely delays the v8 swap a bit if I go this route.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
The rig needs to enter 6'7" garages (79") regularly. On 37's it's never been an issue. But add another inch and a half and then the additional height to allow for the suspension to clear and it's starting to look bad
I really don't have anything to contribute on the 40s discussion, but will make a comment on your "garage clearance" note above. I just went through this issue for work and my new lift/tires.

The windshield cleared the garage, but the stock soft top bows did not.

Edit: hit send too early. So my point is if you have the factory top, add in the bow height on top of the windshield height or invest in the flatter trek top or lastly, run the hard top which all do clearance at windshield height.

- Jason

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I really don't have anything to contribute on the 40s discussion, but will make a comment on your "garage clearance" note above. I just went through this issue for work and my lift/tire.

The windshield cleared the garage, but the stock soft top bows did not.

- Jason

I'm am assuming a hard top hypothetically would clear. They just added speed bumps last week but didn't change the clearance signs. I may be f'd and all this talk may be academic if that is the case. Probably worth a drive to the three garages in question with a tape measure.

JAGS

Hooked
I'm am assuming a hard top hypothetically would clear. They just added speed bumps last week but didn't change the clearance signs. I may be f'd and all this talk may be academic if that is the case. Probably worth a drive to the three garages in question with a tape measure.

Ha. Yup, see edit in my post.

- Jason

Christarp

Damn this is a big decision.... I don't even know If I could/should/would change my order with dynatrac....and then the new wheels and tires too. Talk about "first world problems".

I say follow what you truly want. If you think you may get the itch for 40's later on I'd delay a few other mods to do the other bits right and just wait longer on the V8 swap, just my :twocents: though.

For example, I was looking to getting a new tire carrier and I really liked the look of the swing outs that are body mounted, now I was originally going to go with genright because of the cost of armor and the evo carrier together was a pretty penny, and I only have 35's at the moment! However, I knew that deep down I truly wanted the evo carrier, so I saved up a bit more, got what I really wanted, and put aside another plan I had in the works. In the end it only prolongs the excitement of owning the jeep for me personally. I can look forward to years of modifications and spend a lot of the time in between enjoying the rig for what it is and figuring out what things I should be changing based on my experiences. If I had it all done in one shot sure I'd have a sweet rig and I'd be real happy! But at the same time I feel like there is just that much less to look forward to in the future, but that's just me and you may very well not feel the same way.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Y'all are probably right. This time it's "want" and not "need" which makes the decision a bit harder. I'll call Drew on Tuesday and see if he can unring the bell at dynatrac and get a new total on the build. Might go ahead and go for the gold.

xflstl

This thread made me measure my height today at the top of the window / A pillar.
77' exactly.

Sent from my SCH-I605

jeeeep

Hooked
Here's a suggestion - take an old whip antenna and mount it at the height + 1" (to account for varying tire pressure etc..) you need to clear then go into the garage - you'll hear it if it scrapes and not jack anything up in the process.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Here's a suggestion - take an old whip antenna and mount it at the height + 1" (to account for varying tire pressure etc..) you need to clear then go into the garage - you'll hear it if it scrapes and not jack anything up in the process.

More than a few rigs now that are reporting a 77" height. Even an inch off I still have an inch buffer. I'm comfortable with that. Reworked the build budget to accommodate a "number" that I think will include a PR60 and 80 and PSC steering, wheels and tires. Depending on Drew confirming the budget and his ability to change my dynatrac order I may just go ahead and do this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned before, the whole 77" measurement is just at the windshield. If you have a soft or even hard top on, it WILL be higher at the top of the bows or at the back of the hard top.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
As mentioned before, the whole 77" measurement is just at the windshield. If you have a soft or even hard top on, it WILL be higher at the top of the bows or at the back of the hard top.

Damn your right! I never noticed that the back of the hard top sits higher. Is it because of the the suspension or is there something actually with the construction/dimensions of the hard top that makes it higher in the back. Mine sits a whole 2" higher but the Jeep looks level to the eye. Wonder if anyone running a similar setup has their hardtop on…. Wonder if it's a consistent 2" add for most jeeps...

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
All properly setup vehicles have a "rake" to them - the front a bit lower than the rear.

This may change everything.... Or rather force me to change nothing... It Really depends on the rake and how much of a chance I want to take. Definitely worth a trip to a few parking garages this afternoon

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This may change everything.... Or rather force me to change nothing... It Really depends on the rake and how much of a chance I want to take. Definitely worth a trip to a few parking garages this afternoon

Just buy another jeep to drive to work. Like an old CJ or YJ. :thumb:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Just buy another jeep to drive to work. Like an old CJ or YJ. :thumb:

I have a daily driver. The kicker is that is a nice luxo barge and the fiancée likes to take it every now and then. If I spend the loot to make these changes to the jeep and then she finds out that the result is that she can never take the Jaguar anymore during the week, I'll violate the first rule of household economics - "happy wife happy life."

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Recon at the 3 parking structures is a real world 80.5". Good to go on my end. Waiting till Tuesday to see if it's still an option with dynatrac.

Last edited:

ttfhell

Recon at the 3 parking structures is a real world 80.5". Good to go on my end. Waiting till Tuesday to see if it's still an option with dynatrac.

Dude the good folks at Dynatrac aren't standing around waiting to make your axles. You can change your order.

JAGS

Hooked

The stock antenna served this purpose when I had my parking garage issue after my lift. It was basically level with highest part of my soft top bows. If the antenna hit, then I would back up and try a different route.

- Jason

GCM 2

Dude the good folks at Dynatrac aren't standing around waiting to make your axles. You can change your order.

.....well actually, I just spoke with Jim M. And he has been sitting at his desk since last Wednesday, watching the email inbox and waiting on the phone to ring. All production is currently at a standstill until a decision is made in this thread :doh:

Top Bottom