40s on Dana 44?

RebelconJk

I have the C gussets and running chromoly shafts in the front and rear. With the stock rubicon 44s. On 37s, with JR Reel drive shafts front and rear. Haven't had any trouble with them yet. Other then a truss I guess there's nothing more I can really do right?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sleeves won't stop your axle from bending and that is where most of the issues are. How many axle tubes have you seen split besides trail bud's in the Wayalife video?

You can buy a spare sector shaft for about $150. A spare steering box for $100-300. A sector shaft brace is $300+. I'd rather bring the spare where I could even help someone else if needed.

Can you find me a steering box and sector shaft for $250 to $450 please? Text or PM preferred. :yup:

Tigrcky

You should be very safe with civic wheels. Can you get them with a 5 on 5? :rolleyes:

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I think the anti commie safari model of civics had that pattern

Sent from my whatchamacallit

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Nothing will stop your axle from bending however thick the wall is, its just whether the loading takes it over the elastic limit. But a 2.5" x 0.25" thk tube will bend more than a 2.5" x 0.25" thk tube with a 0.25" thk inner sleeve.

View attachment 103417

2.5" x 0.25" thk x 36" lg tube with 2500lbs on one end will bend 1.2"

View attachment 103418

2.5" x 0.25" thk x 36" lg tube/ 0.25" inner sleeve with 2500lbs on one end will bend 0.8" :eek:

Mel at ORE seems to understand the physics and an axle tube will be 30% strong with a sleeve. Maybe you can get him to explain it to you one day.

A sector shaft brace is only $100. Maybe you should have both, you know that you will help somebody else and then yours will go on the next obstacle.

At least you wrote something this time (however wrong it maybe) and not just reply bullshit

;);););)

You should be a physics major.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would skip the sleeves and would NOT run a truss I also wouldn't run with a truss, but I also don't like those skinny axle tubes up front and the EVO Magnum 44 sleeves give me a little peace of mind.

Mel is a friend of mine and as sacrilegious as it might be for me to not recommend buying one of their products, I would still stand by the fact that it's a waste of money. I should note, this is coming from a guy who's had them installed on his front axle and someone who used to think they made a difference. The sorry truth is, they don't and rather than waste any money on them, I personally think you're better off just running with what you've got until you can afford to upgrade to something better like a ProRock 44. Of course, that's just me.

Sector shaft brace is a waste of money I agree to disagree, but that is why we all have minds and can put these options on the table.

Fair enough. I don't know how many broken sector shafts have you had to deal with on the trail but the two I've seen including my own showed no signs of it breaking due to the lack of a sector shaft brace. Of course, that's just what I've seen. If you're running 37's or bigger, you're much better off running a ram assist as in addition to it helping you steer, it'll also help reduce the load on your sector shaft. But, you can agree to disagree with me here too.

Nothing will stop your axle from bending however thick the wall is, its just whether the loading takes it over the elastic limit.

I don't know, the 2 ProRock 44's I've had with their 3" diameter, 1/2" tubes have taken quite a beating and they still look straight. Of course, my ProRock 60's and even 80 have seen even more abuse without any issues. Just sayin...

But a 2.5" x 0.25" thk tube will bend more than a 2.5" x 0.25" thk tube with a 0.25" thk inner sleeve.

2.5" x 0.25" thk x 36" lg tube/ 0.25" inner sleeve with 2500lbs on one end will bend 0.8" :eek:

Mel at ORE seems to understand the physics and an axle tube will be 30% strong with a sleeve. Maybe you can get him to explain it to you one day.

Yeah, the images and physics sound great and even compelling to the point where I used to think it mattered but, the reality of things is that it doesn't. I have personally seen factory tubes with inner and outer sleeves bend without too much fuss and have seen tubes bend after having a truss installed. In the end, I personally have come to see it all as a waste of time and money. For all it's trouble, it just seems better to play with what you got and save up for a real upgrade.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Nothing will stop your axle from bending however thick the wall is, its just whether the loading takes it over the elastic limit. But a 2.5" x 0.25" thk tube will bend more than a 2.5" x 0.25" thk tube with a 0.25" thk inner sleeve.

View attachment 103417

View attachment 103418

A sector shaft brace is only $100. Maybe you should have both, you know that you will help somebody else and then yours will go on the next obstacle.

At least you wrote something this time (however wrong it maybe) and not just reply bullshit

;);););)

ORE/EVO are also businesses. They do what they do to make money.

If someone will buy my morning shit I will sell it and say it's better then yours.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have personally never had a sector shaft fail on me, but then I am running a brace. (Sorry that was cheap ;) )

LOL!! You say that as if I would care what you choose to run on your Jeep.

The one I have seen on the trail was a torsional failure not shear.

For those who don't know what you mean, "torsional" as in, it was a twist - in other words, a sector shaft brace would not have made a difference.

Larger tires will increase both though. I will stay an advocate of the steering brace and respect you for not being a advocate of said article. (God that sounds really Californian PC, might have to take myself outside for a good kicking)

Don't need to be apologetic to me - it's your money and your Jeep and you should run whatever gives you peace of mind.

A 3" x .5" thk tube is stronger than a 2.5" x.5" thk and will take more of a beating. I can run some more simulations if you would like just to see what physics has to say about how much better.

On the sleeves I have put forward the physics case and you your experience and observations. We should leave it at that?

Nah, we're good. Numbers and simulations is what got me to get sleeves when they first came out. What I have seen over the last 5 years has shown me that it's not worth the money or trouble. But, that's just me.

Hightower

I feel shame but I did it for quite awhile i did have it gusseted and 538 gears. Once I got the $$ together I went 60's I went with the idea that if one broke it would be replaces by a 60. :doh: I sold them straight as an arrow once the sufficient $$ was raised. :rock:

GCM 2

Mel is a friend of mine and as sacrilegious as it might be for me to not recommend buying one of their products, I would still stand by the fact that it's a waste of money.....

Even Mel will recommend first that an upgrade to a better axle is the correct choice over sleeving, gusseting, and trussing an exceptionally weak factory Dana 30 or Dana 44 axle. This goes to show you how honest the guy is, he could make a crap ton more money off a customer by convincing them to let the shop install all these superfluous components on to an inferior factory axle instead of just bolting in Dynatrac ProcRock option (which he makes less money off of). Kind of funny how ORE installs more Dynatrac axles than probably any other shop :thinking:

Some guys go the route of installing "C" gussets to get them by, and that is definitely not a waste of money while saving for the ProRocks. Everything else you do to that front axle so you can run bigger tires is really just a waste of money. I would like to know how sleeving, and trussing addresses weakness in the scrawny little stock axles in the axle tubes and the 5.13 or 5.38 ring and pinion guys throw into that stock housing???

ttfhell

Even Mel will recommend first that an upgrade to a better axle is the correct choice over sleeving, gusseting, and trussing an exceptionally weak factory Dana 30 or Dana 44 axle. This goes to show you how honest the guy is, he could make a crap ton more money off a customer by convincing them to let the shop install all these superfluous components on to an inferior factory axle instead of just bolting in Dynatrac ProcRock option (which he makes less money off of). Kind of funny how ORE installs more Dynatrac axles than probably any other shop :thinking:

Some guys go the route of installing "C" gussets to get them by, and that is definitely not a waste of money while saving for the ProRocks. Everything else you do to that front axle so you can run bigger tires is really just a waste of money. I would like to know how sleeving, and trussing addresses weakness in the scrawny little stock axles in the axle tubes and the 5.13 or 5.38 ring and pinion guys throw into that stock housing???

Pie chart coming soon.

Top Bottom