40's on Dana 44s?

WJCO

Meme King
Duratracs are a great tire and work really well in the snow and ice. The Cooper STT's are more an MT than anything and my comments about how well they do in these conditions is in comparison to all the other MT's I have tested out in the same conditions. Just wanted to make sure that I made that clear. :)

Yep. You did, indeed. Good info.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Duratracs are a great tire and work really well in the snow and ice. The Cooper STT's are more an MT than anything and my comments about how well they do in these conditions is in comparison to all the other MT's I have tested out in the same conditions. Just wanted to make sure that I made that clear. :)

Cant wait to see what you think of the STTs and to see what they look like mounted up.

whispike

When moving up to 37 inch tires is it recommended to make any upgrades to the stock rear d44 or will they be able to handle 37's as is?

When moving up to 37 inch tires is it recommended to make any upgrades to the stock rear d44 or will they be able to handle 37's as is?
Generally speaking, the rear d44 is fine for 37s. Still possibly to bend a flange but you can really do that even at smaller tire sizes. You could always upgrade the shafts if you wanted a little bit more toughness.

geberhard

Douchebag
Agree with the previous posts. A couple suggestions, even if running 37's is to strengthen the housing along with eventually upgrading internals. To Eddie's point, this will help add to your peace of mind Some suggestions, are adding a truss, additional c support on the front and\or sleeve, and "clamshell" the axles. You will lose marginal clearance with the clamshell. some companies like rocksliderengineering etc, have kits but they are very straightforward to build yourself. Aside form RCVs or Chromo shafts (possible future), my axle housing is as beefed up as can be for some peace of mind.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agree with the previous posts. A couple suggestions, even if running 37's is to strengthen the housing along with eventually upgrading internals. To Eddie's point, this will help add to your peace of mind Some suggestions, are adding a truss, additional c support on the front and\or sleeve, and "clamshell" the axles. You will lose marginal clearance with the clamshell. some companies like rocksliderengineering etc, have kits but they are very straightforward to build yourself. Aside form RCVs or Chromo shafts (possible future), my axle housing is as beefed up as can be for some peace of mind.

Only because my name was mentioned, I'd like to note that I would NEVER recommend wasting ANY money on things like a truss or sleeves, "clamshell" or otherwise. C-gussets are about all that I might do but otherwise, with a set of 37's, I personally feel you're better off just playing with what you've got until or unless you can afford a real solution such as a ProRock 44 or better. Throwing money at a factory axle is just that - throwing money at it and over the last 9 years playing with JK's, I have yet to see where it's been worth it. Of course, that's just me.

Hammmerhead

I'm running 40 X 15.50s on a Rubi with stock axles and 4.88's and wanting to go smaller as well. What is the consensus on the 37 vs the 38 inch tire? It seems everyone is running the 37's, but is there really that much difference with the 38 and Rubi D44's? I don't really wheel compared to what most of the guys do here. Although looking under my rig at the battle scars in the diffs and everywhere else, its seems that the previous owner was not scared at all about the stock 44's and the 40's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running 40 X 15.50s on a Rubi with stock axles and 4.88's and wanting to go smaller as well. What is the consensus on the 37 vs the 38 inch tire? It seems everyone is running the 37's, but is there really that much difference with the 38 and Rubi D44's? I don't really wheel compared to what most of the guys do here. Although looking under my rig at the battle scars in the diffs and everywhere else, its seems that the previous owner was not scared at all about the stock 44's and the 40's.

For me personally, I really hate odd size tires and a 38 is an odd size. Why you might ask? Because I have personally been in situations where either I or another in my group will have compromised more than one tire and when everyone is running the same size, bumming one off of somebody else is super easy to do. Of course, if you're out in the middle of nowhere, it's a lot easier to find a replacement 37 in a pinch than an odd size 38. Of course, I'm just going off of what I've had to deal with over the years.

geberhard

Douchebag
Eddie, thanks, my comment was more around teh peace of mind you had mentioned earlier (on going form 40's to 37). Anything that I cna do on the Jeep for peace of mind or not have an itch behind my ear is good in my book, but I agree, it is throwing money at an axle that i will eventually upgrade or along the lines of polishing a thurd. I think however that a well built 44 can endure well, and withstand a good amount of wheeling on 37's. A few hundred bucks here and there for gussets, sleeving, truss and a heavier duty diff cover can help it further go a long way.

I believe this may have been asked before but what are the thoughts on getting RCV's or chromos to withstand 40's, and hard wheeling but non aggressive driving?

WJCO

Meme King
Having no experience with a truss on an axle myself, I can still see logic on both sides of that argument, however, the tube/sleeve thing doesn't make sense to me at all. I don't see how a sleeve strengthens the tube at all. It still allows for a bend at the same location near the pumpkin. And as far as the truss, that puts a ton of heat on the axle, I'd rather just upgrade the axle to the right size to play it safe.

jkwebbie

I'm running 37s on stock axles 30/44. Most people say I'm stupid for doing so, which I do agree with them lol. But I am in the process of doing a 1 ton axle swap. With that being said,nice do wheel hard, but I know my limits and don't push them, that's why I believe my axles have lasted...that, and a little luck lol

BLCK4X4

Nothing wrong with 37's and honestly, I think you'll be much happier with them. They are a great size to run on a JK. Hell, I just ordered up a new set of 37's for Rubicat and will be going back down to them as soon as they come in.

Eddie, I'm going with the 37"x13.5x17"...
I saw your thread about Rubicat's new tires, they look amazing man!

I'm also gearing the axles at 5:10.. Good?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, thanks, my comment was more around teh peace of mind you had mentioned earlier (on going form 40's to 37).

LOL!! I didn't go back to 37's for "peace of mind", I did it because I KNOW that I will break something running 40x15.50s. I know this because I've been able to blow the internals of 2 factory front axles running 37's. A bent axle housing will not leave you high and dry and over the last 9 years, I have seen plenty of axles BEND by having a truss installed. I have also seen plenty of axles STILL bend in spite of having sleeves and/or a truss installed from hard use. No, my peace of mind now comes from knowing not to waste my money on a factory axle and on my 2012, I just played with it until I needed to replace it.

Anything that I cna do on the Jeep for peace of mind or not have an itch behind my ear is good in my book, but I agree, it is throwing money at an axle that i will eventually upgrade or along the lines of polishing a thurd. I think however that a well built 44 can endure well, and withstand a good amount of wheeling on 37's. A few hundred bucks here and there for gussets, sleeving, truss and a heavier duty diff cover can help it further go a long way.

From having done it myself, I can tell you that a few hundred bucks here and there will get you well on your way to something like a ProRock 44 and in a real hurry. The worst part is, I ended up having to spend all that money again anyway and to me, that just sucked.

I believe this may have been asked before but what are the thoughts on getting RCV's or chromos to withstand 40's, and hard wheeling but non aggressive driving?

My thoughts are that everyone has their own idea what "wheeling hard" is and how "often" is often. Again, I have been able to break chromoly axle shafts deep near the splines just running 37's. I have run RCVs in the past and while they are nice enough, I have found them to be far from worth the significant premium they come at especially being they make you work tooth and nail to get them to warranty a break and they consider twisted splines to be normal. This is to say nothing about how badly they snap and pop over time and of course, that is supposed to be normal too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I'm going with the 37"x13.5x17"...
I saw your thread about Rubicat's new tires, they look amazing man!

I'm also gearing the axles at 5:10.. Good?

Assuming you meant 5:13, that's what I would I would run with 37's and a 3.6L motor.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
i know im late to the part here but just to add here - I am running a PR44 on 37's and still breaking parts. Can't imagine running 40's on a Rubi44 can be a good idea at all unless its a showNshine type of Jeep.

I sleeved and gusseted my stock 44 and took it off a month later. Just save the coin by the PR44/60/80 and go from there.

BLCK4X4

Assuming you meant 5:13, that's what I would I would run with 37's and a 3.6L motor.

ROOKIE MISTAKE....yeah I meant 5:13s lol
And yes I've got the newer 2015 3.6L engine:)

That's good enough power in you're experience?
No extra things needed? :Rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ROOKIE MISTAKE....yeah I meant 5:13s lol
And yes I've got the newer 2015 3.6L engine:)

That's good enough power in you're experience?
No extra things needed? :Rock:

4:88 will give you stock power with 37s. For me, yes, 5:13s gave me good enough/better power. 5:38s will give you more but it'll have you running a higher RPM at highway speeds and leave you with a tiny pinion in a Dana 44.

Warebear

I say do it. Then you can blow up those axles and have an excuse to get some bad ass pro rocks. Actually, I'm gonna go do that right now. Brb

Top Bottom