40's on Dana 44s?

jims68

Save your money guys and save up for the 1 tons as Eddie says over and over again. A $1500 piece of mind, which is very easy to do, is still a 30/44 with lip stick. You have just moved weaknesses to a different point. On top of if you do wheel hard, I mean 1 wheel at a time hard even 8 luggers do bend/break. Factor in your worst case and save for that for your build and do it once. I could of at minimum be into a PR 44 up front if I would of only listened!

geberhard

Douchebag
uPiM5Ul.jpg

yep, there is only so much you can polish a turd. Good info guys, I have been on the fence on what to do axles wise, so I will be focusing on building a pair of tons and be done with it. I am spoiled by having the pair of tons on my crawler, and really hate dealing with broken stuff on the trail. One tons, here we go again!

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
For what it is worth, I wanted to explain my strategy. I will be taking my 2016 JK down to ORE in a couple of months, but prior to this, I worked with Drew and my estimate was changed about 4 times. I had only a PR44 in the front and then was going to leave the stock rear Dana44 alone.

The best change I made, which saved me some $3,000, was to go with the rear axle (Dynatrac XD60). The money savings were from the $2,000 cost for gearing and other labor overlap, along with the savings from the larger rear brakes that come with the XD60. Then, the Dynatrac Pro-Grip brakes in the front were an almost free upgrade. Once I changed that rear axle, the entire build came into line and I could use the money saved for other upgrades.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
especially being they make you work tooth and nail to get them to warranty a break and they consider twisted splines to be normal. This is to say nothing about how badly they snap and pop over time and of course, that is supposed to be normal too.

WTF? Plastic deformation IS a failure, the materiel just hasn't fractured yet. It's a shame RCV doesn't know that.

Last edited:

jkwebbie

i know im late to the part here but just to add here - I am running a PR44 on 37's and still breaking parts. Can't imagine running 40's on a Rubi44 can be a good idea at all unless its a showNshine type of Jeep.

I sleeved and gusseted my stock 44 and took it off a month later. Just save the coin by the PR44/60/80 and go from there.

Grubbicon beat the shit out of his Jeep on 40s with Rubi 44s. How they never broke or bent is beyond me lol. And he didn't do shit to strengthen them haha. But he's doing a 1 ton swap now

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Grubbicon beat the shit out of his Jeep on 40s with Rubi 44s. How they never broke or bent is beyond me lol. And he didn't do shit to strengthen them haha. But he's doing a 1 ton swap now

Like I always say, everyone has their own idea of what "beat the shit" really is - or, more or less anyway :)

Grubbicon

I actually broke 1 rear axle shafts (at the splines) and a driveshaft (1310 that broke at the tcase side yoke) in that 9 month span or so that I ran the 40s on the d44s. I believe part of what made it last as long as it did was the fact I was still running 4.10s with a 3.8. When it got to into a bind I simply couldnt force it because I didnt have the power.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457126427.171851.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457126458.994700.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457126493.862676.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Like I always say, everyone has their own idea of what "beat the shit" really is - or, more or less anyway :)

Ain't that the truth. My Dana 30 has survived some intense trails around here so far, just got done running 'Home Depot' and 'Bed, Bath, and Beyond."

Blackjk58

Hey guys, I have a question I'm not sure that this have been already ask,

So I was planning on running Pr44 in front and rockjock60 in the rear on 40". is the pr44 going to be enough for not breaking every time?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you play as hard as you think you do, at the very least, 60 front and rear but I have seen the Rock Jock not even be up to the job.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Blackjk58

Thanks, so its better go with dynatrac or junk yard ar they the same result ?
(Im new in the diff upgrade world trying to have te most advice for this big purchase :p )

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks, so its better go with dynatrac or junk yard ar they the same result ?

:cheesy: Not even close. I recommend you look around Dynatrac's website and the Wayalife videos showing them being built. The quality and strength is one of a kind :thumb:

This is one expensive decision that you only want to have to do once.

Blackjk58

This is one expensive decision that you only want to have to do once.[/QUOTE]

Thanks , that's why I wanted to ask you guys some question because I know that you have more experience than me in this! [emoji106]🏾

Top Bottom