$500 to spend on a bumper!!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I talked to a buddy locally and he suggested that I look for a bumper that is wider than the grille so obstacles don't destroy it. For those with narrower bumpers like the EVO and some others, are obstacles really gonna get up there? It's hard to believe for me.

The EVO bumper (and others) are short for a reason.

You need shorter bumpers to clear bigger tires and you want the ability to put your tires against an obstacle so your bumper doesn't get hung up.

Jmjnewbold

The EVO bumper (and others) are short for a reason.

You need shorter bumpers to clear bigger tires and you want the ability to put your tires against an obstacle so your bumper doesn't get hung up.

So, by using the tires instead of your bumper against an obstacle you keep your rig rolling forward? So would a stinger just get in the way then?

So, by using the tires instead of your bumper against an obstacle you keep your rig rolling forward? So would a stinger just get in the way then?

I believe Sharkey is refering to nosing up to a rock or ledge. A narrow bumper lets you put your front tire right on the obstacle. The stinger wont be in the way unless you plan on crawling up a verticle wall. If the rock or ledge is tall, you can approach at a slight angle to avoid hitting the bumper first.

Jmjnewbold

I believe Sharkey is refering to nosing up to a rock or ledge. A narrow bumper lets you put your front tire right on the obstacle. The stinger wont be in the way unless you plan on crawling up a verticle wall. If the rock or ledge is tall, you can approach at a slight angle to avoid hitting the bumper first.

Oh ok, gotcha!

Benito

Caught the Bug
So, is there ever a concern while off-roading that your bumper might be too narrow and you could damage the body/grille?

I could never see that being an issue if you plan your line over an obstacle properly. The obstacle will have to be very odd to reach into grill

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449446139.291829.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449446150.979101.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449446162.065367.jpg

Benito

Caught the Bug
Thanks, It is the steel Evo 1/4 pounder w/stinger and it comes powder coated. The aluminum version does not come coated

Chasemccl

Ace mid width stinger last time I checked if you search around a little bit you can get pretty close to $500 ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449462981.515468.jpg

Benito

Caught the Bug
Looks sick! How much did the bumper set you back?

Retails for $650 w/ stinger, $400 w/o stinger. I bet a supporting vender could give you some sort of discount. I was at a food drive that was held by a local jeep club yesterday and I saw a few different bumpers, a lot of smittybuilt, poison spider, ACE, LOD, and a few other unknown brands and The gussets get on the 1/4 pounders stinger is probably the beefiest.

Top Bottom