AEV 2.5" XT DualSport with SumoSprings bumpstops

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you ban the I.p. address?

I'd rather be fishing...

Yes but, losers like him are good about finding ways to sneak back on so, we don't even bother anymore. It's easier just to wait until they start posting again as they're oh so hard to miss. :rolleyes2:

bl17z90

:cheesy:

I actually know a guy who has metalcloak skin/fenders on his lj and i have seen him abuse them. Kinda cool, really makes me want to pull the trigger on evo skins and tire carrier.

While we're on the topic of bushings :thinking:
What are different kinds of bushings/joints will you find on jeep control arms?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy:

I actually know a guy who has metalcloak skin/fenders on his lj and i have seen him abuse them. Kinda cool, really makes me want to pull the trigger on evo skins and tire carrier.

While we're on the topic of bushings :thinking:
What are different kinds of bushings/joints will you find on jeep control arms?

Personally, I still think they look gay on an LJ but, at least they are more functional and won't do body damage if it gets hit due to the way the LJ is made. A JK is a totally different story.

Clevite: bonded rubber bushing (what is used on factory arms as well as other companies - good tough bushing that stay quiet, require no maintenance but, will offer bind in your flex)
Johnny Joints: made by Currie and really, an industry standard - proven to work well
FK Rod Ends: a great joint that Full Traction likes to use but - has no energy/vibration dampening (typically used on one end only)
Polyurethane: very common aftermarket joint that ProComp, Rancho, RK like to use (good durable bushing but squeaks like a banshee if not greased)
Spherical Joint: common name for a basic Johnny Joint like Chinese copy - companies like TeraFlex use them but, they're far from being as good.
Duroflex: What Metalcloak just came out with. I'm sure they may work fine (time will tell) but, they're far from being the next magically best thing since sliced bread as some would have you believe.

TheStick

I don't want to get on the side of ticky tac penis pen but do have a question here.

First in full disclosure I am thinking about going metalcloak, for one big reason they are local up here. I've met the dudes. And they seem to make a great product. With that disclosure... :)

I am just curious, wouldn't you expect an CA with less bind have a positive effect on ride quality?

It wouldn't be the reason I would chose the product necessarily, but if in fact their arms have less bind, I would think it would help ride quality. No?!?

billybob990

On the trails it might be a little better but on road, no it wouldn't make any difference because your not flexing

I'd rather be fishing...

TheStick

On the trails it might be a little better but on road, no it wouldn't make any difference because your not flexing

I'd rather be fishing...

What makes LA's better on road then? I understand there is different geometry there that is not present with just better flexing joints, but still trying to wrap my head around this one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to get on the side of ticky tac penis pen but do have a question here.

First in full disclosure I am thinking about going metalcloak, for one big reason they are local up here. I've met the dudes. And they seem to make a great product. With that disclosure... :)

What I can tell you is that back when I still owned JKF, the new owner of Metalcloak tried signing up as a regular joe blow and tout how wonderful their products were. Need I say, I put an end to that. Now, every time I hear someone talking them up, they turn out to be guys like TacPen. Kinda makes me wonder how good their products really are if these are the kind of business tactics they have to resort to in order to sell them. Of course, that's just what I have seen and my opinion based on it.

I am just curious, wouldn't you expect an CA with less bind have a positive effect on ride quality? It wouldn't be the reason I would chose the product necessarily, but if in fact their arms have less bind, I would think it would help ride quality. No?!?

Why would you expect that and how would it help?!?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What makes LA's better on road then? I understand there is different geometry there that is not present with just better flexing joints, but still trying to wrap my head around this one.

Simply because long arms allow their geometry to sit flatter like stock. Long arms do NOTHING to improve flex.

billybob990

That I couldn't tell you I've never owned a L.A. system and don't know if they ride better.

I'd rather be fishing...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That I couldn't tell you I've never owned a L.A. system and don't know if they ride better.

I'd rather be fishing...

Well, I have. On my TJ and on my JK's. Long arms allow you to restore and/or improve your suspension geometry so that they sit flatter just like stock and this provides a much better ride that can be felt most on pavement. Long arms will not offer any more flex but, they will allow your axle to articulate more true (less swipe) just like stock.

TheStick

What I can tell you is that back when I still owned JKF, the new owner of Metalcloak tried signing up as a regular joe blow and tout how wonderful their products were. Need I say, I put an end to that. Now, every time I hear someone talking them up, they turn out to be guys like TacPen. Kinda makes me wonder how good their products really are if these are the kind of business tactics they have to resort to in order to sell them. Of course, that's just what I have seen and my opinion based on it.

Why would you expect that and how would it help?!?

Yeah. Wasn't aware of that. It is disappointing they would do that. They seem like cool dudes and have given me a chance to check out their systems first hand since its right around the corner from my work.

I won't defend them for that, but I could see situations where just from a business perspective they may have a lot to learn. Combining tech knowledge with business knowledge is a tough combo.

TheStick

Well, I have. On my TJ and on my JK's. Long arms allow you to restore and/or improve your suspension geometry so that they sit flatter just like stock and this provides a much better ride that can be felt most on pavement. Long arms will not offer any more flex but, they will allow your axle to articulate more true (less swipe) just like stock.

Cool. That does actually help my understanding.

Top Bottom