Aftermarket Cold Air Intakes

Aeraun

I have an AFE cat back exhaust and CAI and so far no complaints. As of now I'm not running a snorkel but if I were I'd switch out the In Take, otherwise I love tht sound and even though any gains are minimal it cannot be denied that you aren't helping the engine. I mean it boggles my mind how restricted the air flows are of engines from the factory. Install was easy for both and they were relatively cheap.

TheDuff

With the recent number of people with 3.6L engines consuming oil and all having cai's in common, I would wait a little longer and see what comes of these instances

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

2trackin

I've been involved in engine tuning for some time now. From Gm LS series v8s. To Subaru turbo boxer engines. Naturally aspirated and turbo. Even with a tune, an air intake will be the least contributing factor in performance. The only time I have ever say an intake due justice in not only an astetic but also performance manner is on engines putting out closer to the 500hp mark. Generally at high rpm or high boost. And even that is usually cured with a simple high flow filter or even a clean oem filter at that.
K&N and other types of "performance" filters are great for air flow, as well as dust and dirt. I have yet to see a K&N filter that hasn't allowed some dirt through. The intake tubing is often dirty. Even with the filter oil(which when coated on the filter brings it's flow down).
Don't get me wrong, for my weekend warrior sports cars, I have always had at least a K&N filter, maybe even an intake. Mostly for the ascetics and sound. But on a daily driver. I've never change an intake or use anything other than oem filter. And only do a catback exhaust if I really wanted some more noise.
It may be just my personal opinion. But I have seen far to much damage from "cold air intakes" on daily drivers to ever suggest the use of one on a everyday driven vehicle. And definitely not on an offroad driven vehicle where the air filters duties are amplified hundreds of times over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

pahlbfishn

I've been involved in engine tuning for some time now. From Gm LS series v8s. To Subaru turbo boxer engines. Naturally aspirated and turbo. Even with a tune, an air intake will be the least contributing factor in performance. The only time I have ever say an intake due justice in not only an astetic but also performance manner is on engines putting out closer to the 500hp mark. Generally at high rpm or high boost. And even that is usually cured with a simple high flow filter or even a clean oem filter at that.
K&N and other types of "performance" filters are great for air flow, as well as dust and dirt. I have yet to see a K&N filter that hasn't allowed some dirt through. The intake tubing is often dirty. Even with the filter oil(which when coated on the filter brings it's flow down).
Don't get me wrong, for my weekend warrior sports cars, I have always had at least a K&N filter, maybe even an intake. Mostly for the ascetics and sound. But on a daily driver. I've never change an intake or use anything other than oem filter. And only do a catback exhaust if I really wanted some more noise.
It may be just my personal opinion. But I have seen far to much damage from "cold air intakes" on daily drivers to ever suggest the use of one on a everyday driven vehicle. And definitely not on an offroad driven vehicle where the air filters duties are amplified hundreds of times over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Absolutely correct. Most after market intakes are snake oil. More air flow=more dirt sucked into engine.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
We had a member or 2 on here use that intake, and still denied a warranty claim when the motor started burning oil. So if you think it wont void anything, you will be surprised.

As far as an intake goes...Im sure it will perform the same as any other on the market.

10abadilla/jk

That's odd to void warranty when the product states oem. My jeep is a 2012 so warranty is almost out anyways. Now here is a dumb question. Do you think changing to an "aftermarket" or "performance" intake could have had something to do with the motor burning oil. And what is the opinion of staying stock or "upgrading?"

Speeddmn

Here is my take on this. Our motors, both the 3.8 and 3.6 are no where close to a "high performance" motor. The cost for a CAI, associated tune to get max benefits versus what you actually get is very minimal.

I haven't looked into buying one simply because I know it would not be practical.

Now back to the it's your jeep, it's your money, have fun.

10abadilla/jk

Wow I guess I should contact and get a written statement from Chrysler themselves if possible. Thoughts on changing from factory intake to upgraded?

WJCO

Meme King
Anything that didn't come from the factory isn't OEM. Even dealer installed add-ons such as this one can put your warranty at risk. As far as oil burning, if the filter were to allow dust by the filter media and score your cylinder walls, then yes it would be a contributing factor to oil burning. Otherwise no.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act has been in place for several decades to protect customers. You can read through it if you want, but there are clauses in there that basically state if a dealer tries to deny a claim based on modifications, they should somehow have to prove that the modifications contributed to the failure, etc. This is all a he said/she said pissing contest in a court room setting.

Why do you want to upgrade the intake?

10abadilla/jk

The 3.8 does not really even compare in my opinion to the 3.6l I would say it is considered more of a performance engine based on one of many aspects that it has about 80hp more the the 3.8l. Its also no longer a cast iron block but now an aluminum block which has shaved a lot of weight. My opinion is my motor. The 3.6 cannot be compared with the 3.8l because the 3.6 torque and hp are much greater. I feel as if it were built for performance.

10abadilla/jk

Many reasons I for one have read and two just feel. But one main one is the stock one actually broke on the lower part of the box and I figured now could be a great time to upgrade. But my jeep only has 40,000 miles on it. If it can cause the motor to burn oil or is any way harm if rather return it and buy stock being that they are almost the same price.

WJCO

Meme King
Many reasons I for one have read and two just feel. But one main one is the stock one actually broke on the lower part of the box and I figured now could be a great time to upgrade. But my jeep only has 40,000 miles on it. If it can cause the motor to burn oil or is any way harm if rather return it and buy stock being that they are almost the same price.

If you use it offroad a lot, I would stay with stock. I switched over on my rig (WJ) just because I had to modify the intake for my washer bottle. I wish I could have kept it stock. As far as a pavement princess, I'd say go with the modified one.

Moochie

The Jeep with the MOPAR, dealership installed cold air kit had to have its engine replaced. Warranty denied by FCA. They blamed it on this modification.

If you look at a graph of the dust a cold air intake lets in your engine, I would absolutely stay stock.

The Magnuson Warranty Act is a joke. The FTC commission does not enforce the law. I know. I spent 4 months working on this and got no where even with the District Attorney writing directly to Chrysler! :banghead: I'm sure Eddie will agree.

Speeddmn

The 3.8 does not really even compare in my opinion to the 3.6l I would say it is considered more of a performance engine based on one of many aspects that it has about 80hp more the the 3.8l. Its also no longer a cast iron block but now an aluminum block which has shaved a lot of weight. My opinion is my motor. The 3.6 cannot be compared with the 3.8l because the 3.6 torque and hp are much greater. I feel as if it were built for performance.

When I said high performance, I meant it not as a HP/TQ rating. When you take a motor that has 260hp/300tq (for example) and add a cold air intake, you need to adjust the timing, fuel, spark etc etc to get the most out of it. By doing that and then going back to the dyno for proven results and now said motor has an increase of 7hp/11tq, I ask you this, is/was that worth the cost?

Some motors, specifically ones not found in a jeep wrangler, can and will always be classified as a High Performance motor. These are the one where you add 1 degree of timing, gap the plugs, add a CAI, tune and for some reason they produce 30hp/50tq from the same things. Some motors respond very well to this.

You sir, seem to have your mind made up and want reassurance from the Jeep world that s CAI is cool and all the kids on the block need one... When in fact the percentage of people that own one, versus the Honda Civic crown is complete opposite.

10abadilla/jk

From what I'm reading I want to stay stock now. And I take the Jeep out every weekend. It is far from a pavement princess. So that being said I'd be better off staying stock to avoid dust or future engine damage.

WJCO

Meme King
The Magnuson Warranty Act is a joke. The FTC commission does not enforce the law. I know. I spent 4 months working on this and got no where even with the District Attorney writing directly to Chrysler! :banghead: I'm sure Eddie will agree.

I've never had personal experience using it. I do think it could be a useful tool for a consumer to throw in the face of the dealer during certain circumstances though. But like you said if it comes down to legal action, it's a case by case basis.

Top Bottom