Aftermarket Cold Air Intakes

10abadilla/jk

When I said high performance, I meant it not as a HP/TQ rating. When you take a motor that has 260hp/300tq (for example) and add a cold air intake, you need to adjust the timing, fuel, spark etc etc to get the most out of it. By doing that and then going back to the dyno for proven results and now said motor has an increase of 7hp/11tq, I ask you this, is/was that worth the cost?

Some motors, specifically ones not found in a jeep wrangler, can and will always be classified as a High Performance motor. These are the one where you add 1 degree of timing, gap the plugs, add a CAI, tune and for some reason they produce 30hp/50tq from the same things. Some motors respond very well to this.

You sir, seem to have your mind made up and want reassurance from the Jeep world that s CAI is cool and all the kids on the block need one... When in fact the percentage of people that own one, versus the Honda Civic crown is complete opposite.

The intake was never to be cool by any means not to fit in with rice burners. It was more of a performance aspect due to what I use the jeep for. Dunes. Desert. Trails. Etc. I wanted opinions based on those who have the same motor as I do or who are jeep enthusiast as well to help get better information first hand. Got a lot of information from a lot of people willing to help rather then judge to feel good. Anyways thanks for the advise and grouping me with the cool kids. Feels nice to be on top.

WJCO

Meme King
From what I'm reading I want to stay stock now. And I take the Jeep out every weekend. It is far from a pavement princess. So that being said I'd be better off staying stock to avoid dust or future engine damage.

I think that's a wise decision.

jeeeep

Hooked
That's odd to void warranty when the product states oem. My jeep is a 2012 so warranty is almost out anyways. Now here is a dumb question. Do you think changing to an "aftermarket" or "performance" intake could have had something to do with the motor burning oil. And what is the opinion of staying stock or "upgrading?"
It may say OEM but that just means it's a Mopar product. If you read the fine print indicates for off-road use only and the additional fine print indicates that Chrysler does not warranty anything tagged as made for performance or off-road use only.
You made a wise decision sticking with the stock air cleaner

deezus

Glad I read this...I have an RCS CA I and while I like the sound, I don't believe it adds anything to my 13 JKUR. I will be going back to stock. Thanks guys.

I had a CAI on my 2015 JKUR. As soon as I spotted dust behind the filter in the tube I went back to stock. Now I have a $300.00 paper weight on the shelf.

deezus

Mine is a R2C cold air intake
It has 2 different filters one for off road and one for street. Does that make any difference?

deezus

Mopar cold air intake

Omg I took the CAI off and reinstalled the factory one. Maybe I'm crazy but it shifts smoother and engine sounds so quiet now. Ty guys for the tip. Oh and there wasn't any dust in the aftermarket CA but there was a little black stuff around flapper on carburetor.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Omg I took the CAI off and reinstalled the factory one. Maybe I'm crazy but it shifts smoother and engine sounds so quiet now.

Very common for stock intakes to allow smoother and quieter operation. The engineers got that one right at least.

Oh and there wasn't any dust in the aftermarket CA but there was a little black stuff around flapper on carburetor.

Common as well to have carbon build up around the throttle plate. You can use carb cleaner and a lint free rag to clean that off from time to time. Cleaning it can help throttle response as well.

deezus

Very common for stock intakes to allow smoother and quieter operation. The engineers got that one right at least.

Common as well to have carbon build up around the throttle plate. You can use carb cleaner and a lint free rag to clean that off from time to time. Cleaning it can help throttle response as well.

Well I'm gonna stick with stock!

jesse3638

Hooked
I was only looking into changing mine when I was looking into PSC Hydro Assist. In looking for a CAI I wasn't even looking for performance gains just which one filters as well or better than stock. It seems now there is a new bracket that allows you to use their reservoir with the stock air box. Once I do go to PSC I'll be leaving mine stock.

xxJWPxx

I had the Banks CAI and Banks Monster Exhaust on mine. I pulled the CAI off in preparation of selling my 2dr and I have to say I like the sound of the Monster Exhaust much better without the CAI. I didn't have any dirt or debris in the CAI when I took it off.

Heavyhaul07

Stay stock. I use a k&n drop in filter in my stock box. Keep my old one around as a spare jic. With a cai and water crossings don't mix to well also.

Nelson130

I spent some time wrestling with the question of whether or not to get a CAI. I read more negative than positive and felt the money would be more useful elsewhere. I did swap out the stock filter with a K&N drop in replacement and have been very happy thus far. All the research I did seemed to indicate you don't get that much extra performance from an aftermarket CAI and that the stock one is actually deigned pretty well. Again this is what I surmised from my research so someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Also it seems a lot of guys looking at a CAI went with a snorkel, with the added dirt filter you can get that seems to give you a good compromise. Again I have no direct experience with this setup but I did come across a lot of positive reviews of it. It could be something to explore for your application.

Favorite Cold Air Intake?

I'm looking at buying a cold air intake for my 3.6L and was wondering what you guys have? Also what are the cons of putting one on? And do they actually increase mpg?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Last edited:
The best one is the OEM one that the engineers spent countless hours researching and designing for the best way to optimize your fuel economy and performance. I'm currently in the process of swapping my aftermarket one back to stock. Long story. A Jeep is not the best candidate for aftermarket air intakes. It's just not necessary.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5392-Cold-Air-Intake-upgrade

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?36957-Mopar-cold-air-intake

Ahhh well thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom