Alignment cost, did I get hosed?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all who replied, and yes I will be changing dealers in the future. The notch you speak of has me puzzled? According to the mechanic, he took the bottom axle side lower control arm bolts out and slid the cam bolts in? They are still in there at this moment, but I don`t see any grinder marks? And I asked him straight up if he drilled anything out and he said no.

The mount holes on your axles are square in shape and there are tabs on either side of them that can be knocked out in the event cam bolts are installed. This would allow for the square holes to become rectangular slots that will allow an adjustment in the axles position. You would NOT be able to see any of this as the cam washers would hide the slots. You would only be able to see them if the washers are removed. Did they remove the washers?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for all who replied, and yes I will be changing dealers in the future. The notch you speak of has me puzzled? According to the mechanic, he took the bottom axle side lower control arm bolts out and slid the cam bolts in? They are still in there at this moment, but I don`t see any grinder marks? And I asked him straight up if he drilled anything out and he said no.

Strange. As Eddie said, just look closely.

And as far as your sway bar, are you still under factory warranty or extended warranty? Factory warranty, even diagnosing should be covered, but under extended warranty, there is usually a diagnostic charge unless there is a 'failed part' found that the warranty covers. Regardless, they should have told you this up front before spending your money.

bowtech50

So if I remove the washers and see the rectangle hole is there, what do I need to do to put the stock bolts back in? I just went and looked and cant tell with the washers on there.

WJCO

Meme King
So if I remove the washers and see the rectangle hole is there, what do I need to do to put the stock bolts back in? I just went and looked and cant tell with the washers on there.

You will have to add metal to fix that hole. Weld.

WJCO

Meme King
But, if your caster is in spec on the sheet, you could just leave it there for now too. At least you got your money and bolts back.

bowtech50

Here is what happened in the last 3 hours. I got pissed and left work early. Traveled to dealer on pulled right into the service bay. They were more then happy to change the bolts out while I watched, and they did. They had not knocked out the slots, and I could see where you could. I asked them how they planned on getting more then 1/32" adjustment, and they said they had never saw the knock outs before. Lucky me right! Then I addressed the $125.00 charge on the sway bar which still does not work by the way. They said it worked on the lift, and I said show me how it works on the ground and bring a new rubicon in to compare to, and they did. The new Jeep started flashing sway bar right away, and went solid when they drove forward 10 feet. Mine did not flash at all. They put mine on the lift and were able to get it to disconnect by letting it come down with a wheel under the tire, but no dash light? Long story short I am getting a full refund less $89.95 for the alignment? I drove home a free loaner 2015 JKU sport, and they are road force balancing all 5 tires for me for free. So this whole mess is costing me $89.95. I want to say thanks again for all the suggestions, you guys rock! I bought my tires and wheels from Tread Depot is Georgia and had them shipped here, so I really have no idea if the were RFB or just balanced. I hope this all gets fixed correctly as far as the sway bar goes, and that the RFB fixes my slight shimmy.

WJCO

Meme King
Here is what happened in the last 3 hours. I got pissed and left work early. Traveled to dealer on pulled right into the service bay. They were more then happy to change the bolts out while I watched, and they did. They had not knocked out the slots, and I could see where you could. I asked them how they planned on getting more then 1/32" adjustment, and they said they had never saw the knock outs before. Lucky me right! Then I addressed the $125.00 charge on the sway bar which still does not work by the way. They said it worked on the lift, and I said show me how it works on the ground and bring a new rubicon in to compare to, and they did. The new Jeep started flashing sway bar right away, and went solid when they drove forward 10 feet. Mine did not flash at all. They put mine on the lift and were able to get it to disconnect by letting it come down with a wheel under the tire, but no dash light? Long story short I am getting a full refund less $89.95 for the alignment? I drove home a free loaner 2015 JKU sport, and they are road force balancing all 5 tires for me for free. So this whole mess is costing me $89.95. I want to say thanks again for all the suggestions, you guys rock! I bought my tires and wheels from Tread Depot is Georgia and had them shipped here, so I really have no idea if the were RFB or just balanced. I hope this all gets fixed correctly as far as the sway bar goes, and that the RFB fixes my slight shimmy.

Sweet deal!! Too bad though they sold you a bolt set with offset washers but installed them with no change in offset!!!!!!!!!!!! At least you got it worked out.

Essentially you paid $90 for a road force balance. So not the worst outcome. I'd be finding a different dealer for service for sure!

plext0r

Wow, you really got a decent outcome considering your initial cost and dealing with a stealership. Since buying the 2008 JKU this past June, I've only gone to the dealer once and that was to have them fix the gas filler tube that has an unlimited miles warranty. They wanted to charge me $250 after the fact and I reminded them it was covered under the warranty. They had to look it up again and then magically produced a $0 invoice. :naw:

Galo

Way to go Wayalife..

And, by wayalife, I mean the community here. This thread is a great example of what 'we' do as Jeep people.
We help and support each other, regardless of circumstances, weather, color of Jeep, location - whatever.
And by Wayalife, I also mean Eddie (et. al.). I sincerely Thank You for providing a place for this 'community' to congregate and
discuss our issues and passions, and promote our shared way of life.

God Bless and have a Jeep day.

Jason

jesse3638

Hooked
Great outcome. It's funny how most of the jeep community tends to know more about the jeep than the service techs, sales people, and the like. Fortunately my dealership seems to be pretty good. They replaced my axle seal under warranty then when it started leaking again they saw it was a scored axle shaft and replaced that too despite all my mods. I thought for sure they wouldn't based on wheels and tires alone.

WJCO

Meme King

What city are you in? If you're in the Minneapolis area, I got a guy out there in that area who is familiar with most of the dealers in that area. I'll try to get you a lead on a decent service writer at a decent dealer.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Wow, I read the whole thread and am impressed on how it turned out for you! What a turn around and glad it's all worked out.

Top Bottom