Almost Tire Time

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It’s almost tire time for me and currently I run the Nitto Trail Grappler MT in a 37. But the 37 isn’t a true 37...when I first got them I measured them at a true 36. I’m curious to as if there may be a better option for a true 37 or maybe even a 38. I’ve always been happy with the performance and appearance of the trail grappler but have started considering maybe a Milestar Patagonia Mt but know it’s super soft and hard to find reviews on it.

The important factors....it is my daily driver and I have 5.13 gears with Dana 44 front and rear (both trussed and front C’s) with Yukon axle shafts in the rear and revolution axle shafts in the front.

NO TIRE MEASURES as tall as is stated on the sidewall. NOBODY in the industry refers to "actual" tire size when talking about lifts, gears or otherwise. The link below should shed some light for you.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/35075-The-Ultimate-TRUE-TIRE-SIZE-Database

If you want a "true" 37 inch tire, you need to run a 40.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also, as far as tires go, here's a video that shows what our Cooper STT Pros have been able to do for us and over a 2 year period of time.

longarmwj

From that I’ve seen of the Milestars, in person and not in videos, they seem to work decently well. I think for a budget buyer they aren’t a bad option but there are better options out there.

I’ll put it this way. I have a set of 37x12.50x17 STT Pros on my Jeep, and at 40% tread they were hooking up BETTER on wet trails on rocks covered in slick red Georgia clay then full tread brand new MTRs were.

I’ll put it in perspective like this. We had a rubicon in our group that day running a set of 40 inch MTR Kevlars and I was having less of a problem on trails then he was, and I’m open/open running smaller tires

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

I considered the Patagonia’s before getting a really good deal on STT Pros. I don’t put a lot of miles on my Jeep...just driving to the trail and back...so tire life isn’t a huge factor for me. I considered the Patagonia’s because of the softer compound. I like the idea of less road noise but more than that, I have heard that they have really good traction on rocks...wet and dry. All that said, I couldn’t get over the fact that I don’t like the way they look.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
figures why they are so cheap.

Exactly! I know most people out there don't care where their Jeep parts come from and sometimes, it's just unavoidable that they come from China but for me personally, I prefer to buy MADE IN THE USA whenever possible. :usa-flag:

From that I’ve seen of the Milestars, in person and not in videos, they seem to work decently well. I think for a budget buyer they aren’t a bad option but there are better options out there.

Much like winches, tires aren't something I tend to consider based on "budget". And, as you've noted, there are better options out there, even if you're determined to run a 38.

...All that said, I couldn’t get over the fact that I don’t like the way they look.

:cheesy: Just because testing products out is what I like to do, I had considered giving them a go early on but man, I just couldn't get past the fact that they look like ass. :crazyeyes:

Brute

Hooked
I've owned a service based business in an industry where if one made bad choices, it could impact their ability to live...and I'm always amazed how some people always shop with their wallet first. Certain items should be weighed on their merit, especially when it comes to safety...tires are one of them

Exactly! I know most people out there don't care where their Jeep parts come from and sometimes, it's just unavoidable that they come from China but for me personally, I prefer to buy MADE IN THE USA whenever possible. :usa-flag:

Much like winches, tires aren't something I tend to consider based on "budget". And, as you've noted, there are better options out there, even if you're determined to run a 38.

:cheesy: Just because testing products out is what I like to do, I had considered giving them a go early on but man, I just couldn't get past the fact that they look like ass. :crazyeyes:

I agree they are ugly and I did not know their manufacturing location. I’m not closed to running other tires as I do love my Nittos. I do like buying American but sometimes price has to play a part for me....Jeeping is an expensive hobby on a public servant salary. That being said I like to run ideas by the critics who speak their mind and get input and facts before making a final decision. I’ll look into the Coopers, never really considered them. Any other great recommendations?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I agree they are ugly and I did not know their manufacturing location. I’m not closed to running other tires as I do love my Nittos. I do like buying American but sometimes price has to play a part for me....Jeeping is an expensive hobby on a public servant salary. That being said I like to run ideas by the critics who speak their mind and get input and facts before making a final decision. I’ll look into the Coopers, never really considered them. Any other great recommendations?
I've had good luck with toyo and nitto.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

I think i saw 37-13.50 17 SST PRO for like $275 a tire through Walmart online. Discount tire direct price matches too I think. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
That is the great thing about Jeeping ! Choices for everyone, if everyone bought the same thing it would be boring.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Toyo MT is one of the best all around tires I've ever run. With the exception of their 40, all the other tires are made in Georgia. Their 37x13.50 range E tire have near bullet proof sidewalls and to this day, I have yet to see one fail. They don't hook up as well as Coopers on the rocks but just by a bit and they are quieter on pavement. I wouldn't hesitate to run them again.

Nespoli1

I am running the MTRs now. Ready to get rid of them. Just like Eddie said the don’t balance and are loud and track like crap. Tread pattern looks good but if you price them out they are way to expensive. For the price of 4 MTRs u can buy 5 STT Pros. And even NITTOs. Smart move if it’s a daily driver and a weekend worrier.

MacRubi2

I think i saw 37-13.50 17 SST PRO for like $275 a tire through Walmart online. Discount tire direct price matches too I think. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah Discount Tire did just that on the Cooper STT Pros in a 37 that my son put on his JKUR.... can’t beat that

Another option I’ll throw out here is the Pro Comp Xtreme MT2. I’ve run them in a 35 first and now in there 37 and I’m very happy with them.
The 35 were a E rated tire and did run a bit rough but the 37s are C rated and ride so much better.

No cupping or chunking and road noise is comparable to the Coopers and they didn’t take much weight to balance.

I believe Maxis makes them plus a 40K mile warranty

Last edited:

SLO

Yeah Discount Tire did just that on the Cooper STT Pros in a 37 that my son put on his JKUR.... can’t beat that

Another option I’ll through out here is the Pro Comp Xtreme MT2. I’ve run them in a 35 first and now in there 37 and I’m very happy with them.
The 35 were a E rated tire and did run a bit rough but the 37s are C rated and ride so much better.

No cupping or chunking and road noise is comparable to the Coopers

I have a buddy that swears by the Pro Comps but i haven’t heard much about them on here.

Top Bottom