Am I Ready for 40's

RDE2ROK

40s on a stock front end is just too much. Even if you sleeve & gusset! I did everything but truss it and the right side tube still bent! And I'm only running 37s. Yes the Dynatrac is the way to go, I've got my front already and saving for the rear. Anyone want to buy a good used Kidney?:cheesy:

snopro

Banned
40s on a stock front end is just too much. Even if you sleeve & gusset! I did everything but truss it and the right side tube still bent! And I'm only running 37s. Yes the Dynatrac is the way to go, I've got my front already and saving for the rear. Anyone want to buy a good used Kidney?:cheesy:

I did more than sleeve and gusset, Reid outters, prosteers, RCV axles and big brake kit.

CRAZYCASEY

snopro said:
I did more than sleeve and gusset, Reid outters, prosteers, RCV axles and big brake kit.

RDE2ROK had aftermarket ball joints and RCV axles as well. His held up for a while but it won't last forever. I actually bent my first housing running 35s without sleeves and gussets. Once I moved up to 37s front axles started giving out, even superior's. it sounds like your determined to make it work with 40s so stay off the skinny pedal and good luck!!!

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I actually bent my first housing running 35s without sleeves and gussets. Once I moved up to 37s front axles started giving out, even superior's.

So what axle were you running the D30 or D44 stock when you bent your housing with 35s?

snopro

Banned
RDE2ROK had aftermarket ball joints and RCV axles as well. His held up for a while but it won't last forever. I actually bent my first housing running 35s without sleeves and gussets. Once I moved up to 37s front axles started giving out, even superior's. it sounds like your determined to make it work with 40s so stay off the skinny pedal and good luck!!!

I'm not determined to stick with my current setup. I just wondering even with an upgraded front housing where's the point to change. It seems to be at the 37 going to 40's mark

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not determined to stick with my current setup. I just wondering even with an upgraded front housing where's the point to change. It seems to be at the 37 going to 40's mark

All the improvements you can make to a factory 44 housing will not change the size of your ring & pinion and it will be the most likely source of a break when running 40's. RCV's have super strong joints and, being made out of chromoly will be tougher but, the size of the shafts themselves will not be any beefier nor will they have as many splines as you can have with 60 shafts. This will be another source of a likely break. As mentioned, skinny pedal is only part of the equation.

snopro

Banned
All the improvements you can make to a factory 44 housing will not change the size of your ring & pinion and it will be the most likely source of a break when running 40's. RCV's have super strong joints and, being made out of chromoly will be tougher but, the size of the shafts themselves will not be any beefier nor will they have as many splines as you can have with 60 shafts. This will be another source of a likely break. As mentioned, skinny pedal is only part of the equation.

If I go up from 5.38 in gear ratio to a 5.13 will the pinion issue be not as likely to be damaged as easily.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I go up from 5.38 in gear ratio to a 5.13 will the pinion issue be not as likely to be damaged as easily.

Yes. But, is coughing up another $1000-$1500 to regear again something you'd really want to do? You would also see a noticiable loss in power and that still won't change your axle shaft size. They will become the next most likely thing to break.

If anything, I might save the money you would otherwise spend to regear and use it to help pay for a new rear 60. I would then try selling what you have now up front and use it to help pay for a new front 60 which is considerably more expensive.

CRAZYCASEY

Doknocker said:
So what axle were you running the D30 or D44 stock when you bent your housing with 35s?

D44. I replaced the housing and sleeved gussets and regeared all at once. Then moved up to 37s and started breaking axles and Stearing boxes. I wish I would have done the 60s to begin with but live and learn I guess!!!

snopro

Banned
Yes. But, is coughing up another $1000-$1500 to regear again something you'd really want to do? You would also see a noticiable loss in power and that still won't change your axle shaft size. They will become the next most likely thing to break.

If anything, I might save the money you would otherwise spend to regear and use it to help pay for a new rear 60. I would then try selling what you have now up front and use it to help pay for a new front 60 which is considerably more expensive.

I'm fortune enough to be able to regear myself, so like when I did the 1st time $500.00 for complete rebuilt front and rear with gears.
I do have a Rubi-crawler sitting here on my workbench for the last year.
Have you offroaded with anyone that has one.
I was going to put it in but the 5.38 gears were low enough for me, so I opted not to install.

snopro

Banned

Yeah I probably just run it until it breaks!! But now I got some great info on what to order for a 60

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I probably just run it until it breaks!! But now I got some great info on what to order for a 60

That's what we're doing with our Dozer JK. Saving up and hoping that we won't break our front axle until we can afford a ProRock 60 :yup:

snopro

Banned
When it does break ill take the broken 44 of your hands ;) bwahahaha

Yeah you can have the housing!!! Ill probably rob the RCV axles, Pro Steers,and big brakes out. It might take awhile!! Bubba isn't a Daily Driver and It took me 2 1/2 years to get 12,000 miles on him.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah you can have the housing!!! Ill probably rob the RCV axles, Pro Steers,and big brakes out. It might take awhile!! Bubba isn't a Daily Driver and It took me 2 1/2 years to get 12,000 miles on him.

2-1/2 years?? LOL!! I can put on 12,000 on each of our JK's in about 2-1/2 Months and I work from home :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom