Am I Ready for 40's

MTG

Caught the Bug
Not to hijack any further, but I put 3300 miles on my car two years ago. I've put almost 20K on my jeep in 16 months! :eek:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Not to hijack any further, but I put 3300 miles on my car two years ago. I've put almost 20K on my jeep in 16 months! :eek:

Know what. If you don't drive it, what go is it. I drive it because I love it "Jeep"!!!! :wings:

bob-o12jk

Banned
Know what. If you don't drive it, what go is it. I drive it because I love it "Jeep"!!!! :wings:

Yep its a Jeep thing, I put 15k miles on my 2012 in only 8 months lol..... And spent at least $10k too in mods yikes

Last edited:

Tattedfire

40s on a stock front end is just too much. Even if you sleeve & gusset! I did everything but truss it and the right side tube still bent! And I'm only running 37s. Yes the Dynatrac is the way to go, I've got my front already and saving for the rear. Anyone want to buy a good used Kidney?:cheesy:

Lol I've got my rear already and am saving for the front!

snopro

Banned
I would but here in Minnesota we have mega salt thrown on the roads in the winter. So I am trying to preserve my Jeep for the time being. It gets harder and harder not to drive. I do have an annual spring meet and greet in March that a bunch of us go snow 4x4ing down forestry roads.

xjryder

I like the video of you going to Dynatrac, makes me feel better when I spend a butt load of cash on some new axles, BUY AMERICAN!!!!!:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So back to 40's which brand do most people run and why

Depends on what you need them to do. If you want to play hard on the trails, few 40's can compare to a Nitto Mud Grappler. If you're looking for a good all around 40, I would recommend a Nitto Trail Grappler or Toyo MT. I've run them all and they have always served me well. If you need something that'll last a long time, BFG's will wear like iron but, have really thin sidewalls.

snopro

Banned
Depends on what you need them to do. If you want to play hard on the trails, few 40's can compare to a Nitto Mud Grappler. If you're looking for a good all around 40, I would recommend a Nitto Trail Grappler or Toyo MT. I've run them all and they have always served me well. If you need something that'll last a long time, BFG's will wear like iron but, have really thin sidewalls.

Have you run the Krawlers at all?! The non competition series

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, I have no experience running them. I believe that the company Nemesis was running a set on their JK last year at the King of the Hammers clean up and tore through a sidewall. ProfessionalDriver was there and I'm sure he can verify as much.

No, I have no experience running them. I believe that the company Nemesis was running a set on their JK last year at the King of the Hammers clean up and tore through a sidewall. ProfessionalDriver was there and I'm sure he can verify as much.

True story... We were following the Nemesis Industries crew through some obstacles at The KOH Cleanup this year. There was a section of the trail where they tried a more difficult obstacle and sliced their 39-Inch Krawler's sidewall. The right side of the obstacle is the side they sliced and the rocks were pretty sharp, but nothing out of the ordinary for Johnson Valley.

snopro

Banned
Yeah here in Minnesota the best Offroading is at the Ironrange area in northern Minnesota. The sharp razor like edges of the large iron ore bolders usually do a number on tires.

snopro

Banned
Ok how about brand, I see a lot of the big named guys running a 37 and AT when they drive across the states. Is there certain 40's are as good?
I'm considering Toyos, GY MTRs, KM2, or Nitto's

GCM 2

Ok how about brand, I see a lot of the big named guys running a 37 and AT when they drive across the states. Is there certain 40's are as good?
I'm considering Toyos, GY MTRs, KM2, or Nitto's

Scratch the Goodyears and KM2's from your list of 40"s. The MTR/K's are a true 40" tire, however they are barely able to be balanced because the tire is almost a square, and have exceptionally weak sidewalls. The KM2's although overall not a bad tire, their sizing falls very short of the claimed size (almost 2" on some sizes) and the KM2's sidewall also leans towards the weak side when compared to the Toyo or Nitto's. KM2's also are not very good in the snow/ice because they have zero siping. I have owned all 4 of your choices, I personally will have hard time moving away from Nitto (and Toyo since it shares the same parent company, and even factory for some tires).

snopro

Banned
Scratch the Goodyears and KM2's from your list of 40"s. The MTR/K's are a true 40" tire, however they are barely able to be balanced because the tire is almost a square, and have exceptionally weak sidewalls. The KM2's although overall not a bad tire, their sizing falls very short of the claimed size (almost 2" on some sizes) and the KM2's sidewall also leans towards the weak side when compared to the Toyo or Nitto's. KM2's also are not very good in the snow/ice because they have zero siping. I have owned all 4 of your choices, I personally will have hard time moving away from Nitto (and Toyo since it shares the same parent company, and even factory for some tires).

I do have a Van Alstein siping for my current Geolanders 38's which fall short in size as well
I'm lucky enough not to drive in winters because I park Bubba away from the Minnesota Salt
So the falling short by 2 inches is common for other manufactures as well.
I currently sit at 36.6 mounted actual size
I forgot to throw in the mix super swampers Iroks

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yup, what GCM 2 said.

Top Bottom