American Sniper

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
At the risk of having this spin way out of control (hopefully it won't go that way)...

For those of you who have actually seen the movie, do you think it is too much for a well-adjusted almost 13 yr old to see? I'm thinking of taking my son tonight. I know every kid is different and exposure to violence and tough themes is a hugely personal parental choice. I am of the belief that seeing this type of movie can be powerful in a positive way for certain kids, but I also recognize some movies may be just too powerful and/or graphic for certain ages. So, what say you?

I will have to say yes because all of the young generation needs to understand what these soldiers especially snipers see and go through to keep this country safe everyday. I understand also that some of the scenes may be to violent or graphic, but your son is well-adjusted and I think he will take it just fine. I see the movie as a part of history as well because it shows what one man can do to change the face of history and the lives of the veterans to better lives. I hope this helps.

ssgp2

At the risk of having this spin way out of control (hopefully it won't go that way)...

For those of you who have actually seen the movie, do you think it is too much for a well-adjusted almost 13 yr old to see? I'm thinking of taking my son tonight. I know every kid is different and exposure to violence and tough themes is a hugely personal parental choice. I am of the belief that seeing this type of movie can be powerful in a positive way for certain kids, but I also recognize some movies may be just too powerful and/or graphic for certain ages. So, what say you?

I think it's a good movie to start a discussion with your son and maybe learn more about him through his perception about the movie.

The hardest moral part of the movie was the decision to shoot or not.

noroad

I agree NOROAD it's hard to believe the way he died. I gotta admit it hit me kinda hard

ya very sad, I think this movie is a good way to put this hero into the eyes of the american people, and show what troops do for us and deal with!

JDDK

Always a good idea to train the kids early and help them interpret things in a beneficial and instructive way. Too few fathers take their role as serious as you do. Good job dad!!!

Jaydoc1

At the risk of having this spin way out of control (hopefully it won't go that way)... For those of you who have actually seen the movie, do you think it is too much for a well-adjusted almost 13 yr old to see? I'm thinking of taking my son tonight. I know every kid is different and exposure to violence and tough themes is a hugely personal parental choice. I am of the belief that seeing this type of movie can be powerful in a positive way for certain kids, but I also recognize some movies may be just too powerful and/or graphic for certain ages. So, what say you?

Honestly Sharkey this movie will probably disturb you as a father more than it will him as a kid. There's nothing in it that he couldn't have seen on any television crime show. Eastwood did a very good job with the violence and kept the Gore to a minimum.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Honestly Sharkey this movie will probably disturb you as a father more than it will him as a kid. There's nothing in it that he couldn't have seen on any television crime show. Eastwood did a very good job with the violence and kept the Gore to a minimum.

X2 Jaydoc Eastwood did a great job with the movie.

It definitely has less Gore compared to other war movies/ documentaries I have seen

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I greatly appreciate all of the comments. To be honest, I'm not even that worried about the gore because, like stated above, it's everywhere in the news and online.

He is a great kid (thankfully, all of my kids are). He has perfect grades both academically and in citizenship, is in honors classes, has a lot of friends, excels in multiple team and individual sports, etc. He and his friends play video games like Call of Duty and Battlefield. I don't really have a problem with the games because he has no issue with separating fantasy from reality. What I don't like about those games though, is that they tend to glorify a bunch of things that can be very difficult in the real world for any number of reasons, and they make no attempt to tell the "whole" story. My hope is that this movie helps tell the whole story...that war, and death, and fighting can all come at a big cost. Even the most heroic soldier pays an incredible price for that heroism. You can't begin to appreciate that cost unless you first have some understanding that the cost is there. To me, it just seems like this movie may provide a bit of a reality check juxtaposed with the fantasy that exists on tv and in video games.

I hope that all makes sense. Anyway, thanks again.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I greatly appreciate all of the comments. To be honest, I'm not even that worried about the gore because, like stated above, it's everywhere in the news and online.

He is a great kid (thankfully, all of my kids are). He has perfect grades both academically and in citizenship, is in honors classes, has a lot of friends, excels in multiple team and individual sports, etc. He and his friends play video games like Call of Duty and Battlefield. I don't really have a problem with the games because he has no issue with separating fantasy from reality. What I don't like about those games though, is that they tend to glorify a bunch of things that can be very difficult in the real world for any number of reasons, and they make no attempt to tell the "whole" story. My hope is that this movie helps tell the whole story...that war, and death, and fighting can all come at a big cost. Even the most heroic soldier pays an incredible price for that heroism. You can't begin to appreciate that cost unless you first have some understanding that the cost is there. To me, it just seems like this movie may provide a bit of a reality check juxtaposed with the fantasy that exists on tv and in video games.

Wow! That's deep.

Paddington is playing today too.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421454709.100724.jpg

Just sayin' ;)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Wow! That's deep.

Paddington is playing today too.
View attachment 119717

Just sayin' ;)

:cheesy: Give it a few years. You will be having to make the same kinds of decisions about to what you will, or will not, expose your kids.

Edit: And if your son wants to see Paddington Bear when he is in middle school, I think you are going to be dealing with much different issues. Just sayin' ;)

Last edited:

BlackHawk08jk

I'm just getting ready to watch it I'm very excited. I love when they make movies telling a real Hero's story. They deserve to have their story told.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

My 14 year old watched it. I personally do not feel it is too much for a well adjusted teen to handle at all. Of course there is death, killing and shooting but in my opinion no where near as graphic as say, tears of the sun.

BlackHawk08jk

Sadly, it was a seven figure judgment even before fees and costs get added to the mix. Nothing like taking money from the widow and fatherless children of hero. Way to go Jesse...you should be proud. :grayno:

Any d-bag that would be enough of a pussy to sue over gettin hit for runnin his mouth, lead alone sue a woman and child does not deserve a penny from anybody.

MTG

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: Give it a few years. You will be having to make the same kinds of decisions about to what you will, or will not, expose your kids.

Edit: And if your son wants to see Paddington Bear when he is in middle school, I think you are going to be dealing with much different issues. Just sayin' ;)

You mean I can't just give them money and expect them to exercise discretion at the theatre? :thinking:

JAGS

Hooked

I think you taking him to go see it is the best part of the whole thing. Then the ability to talk about it and life afterwards. It's what real parenting is all about. Something else very lost in today's society. 👍👍👍

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Saw the movie this afternoon. When the film ended, most of the theatregoers including myself sat silently in our seats and got ourselves together before we hit the exit. I won't say anything about an appropriate age to see it, but it had an impact on the adults in the IMAX. I'm gonna see it again.:thumb::thumb:

Top Bottom