American Sniper

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Just got home from seeing it. Saw it in IMAX and I haven't seen a theater that quiet in a long time... Really would like to read the book now.

JLSilerJK

Watched it last night. Wild movie man. Amazing story. What a life he led. I too thought about the book this morning.

Thanks to those of you that served or still do serve!

jeeeep

Hooked
At the risk of having this spin way out of control (hopefully it won't go that way)...

For those of you who have actually seen the movie, do you think it is too much for a well-adjusted almost 13 yr old to see? I'm thinking of taking my son tonight. I know every kid is different and exposure to violence and tough themes is a hugely personal parental choice. I am of the belief that seeing this type of movie can be powerful in a positive way for certain kids, but I also recognize some movies may be just too powerful and/or graphic for certain ages. So, what say you?

My 14yo daughter and I go see a lot of action and marvel comic type movies. We went to see this and though she said it was good, she also said it was "too real".

Being an older dad we've always had a lot of discussion on what's going on in the world but this movie definitely led to a lot of "real" discussion on a lot of subjects.

BlackHawk08jk

Saw the movie this afternoon. When the film ended, most of the theatregoers including myself sat silently in our seats and got ourselves together before we hit the exit. I won't say anything about an appropriate age to see it, but it had an impact on the adults in the IMAX. I'm gonna see it again.:thumb::thumb:

It was the same way when I watched it last night.

ssgp2

For the firearm enthusiast, here is what was involved in the research:

"There was a lot of work by many people to build the guns for "American Sniper" It was our job to make it happen and get them with very little time. The guns had to be exported to Morocco and State Dept. permits had to be submitted with serial numbers, etc. There was less than three months to have 6-pairs of guns made for the film. They had to be researched, built, acquired, etc. On some of the builds we had to get the stocks, barrels, bottom metal, etc. so the builders could work their magic. We all know how long a stock can take! Because we were doing 2004-2008 many parts and pieces were proving difficult. We had to pull favors, contact friends, make some new ones and in some cases barter for parts. I can tell you that a pair of the early McCann rails in not easy to find. Many in the industry came together and we give thanks to all. Here is a list of many who helped on this project: Remington, Dakota Arms, McMillan, HS Precision, Knight's Armament, Rock Creek, Douglas, McCann Ind., Leupold, Nightforce, FLIR, Turner Saddlery, GA Precision, High Caliber Sales, Badger Ord., Black Hills, and many others.
Below is a list of the guns and who built them. They were done in pairs:
Early style Mk 13 Navy Rifle- (built by Dan Ross-DD Ross Company) used by Bradley Cooper
McMillan Tac 338- (built by McMillan Firearms) used by Bradley Cooper. **not their stock gun. Actually built to match the one Kyle personally had.
Knights Armament Mk 11 Mod. 0- (built by Knight's Armament) one gun was used by Bradley Cooper, the other was used by Kevin Lacz who played himself "Dauber" **with correct markings!!
Mk 12 Mod 1- (Uppers built by Alan Brown. Purchased through Kevin O'neill at High Caliber Sales) **these are the same guns from "Lone Survivor" they got stripped and painted and used in American Sniper as well! one of 6 used by Cooper. 5 others by additional stunts/actors. **lowers were all Colt F/A**
USMC M40A3- (built by Dan Ross-DD Ross Company) Used by Marine Snipers in film. We had both fixed 10 Unertl scopes and Schmidt Benders to play at different times; early and late.
US M24- (built by Scott Fritschler of ISS) Army snipers
Mk 13 Mod. 5-(built by Alan Brown) This was supposed to be a late Kyle gun. All the guns were being built in advance of seeing a script on our part. As it played out, Cooper used the McMillan late in place of this rifle. Unfortunately you will not see these guns in the film.
GA Precision Gladius- (built by GA Precision) this is the only gun we did not have doubled. This is also the only gun not owned by ISS.
There were other sniper rifles used in the film. Guns we had in our inventory prior like the Mk 14 EBR's, etc.

We also had some foreign snipers. We used Romanian PSL's for Morocco as we could not export our Chinese guns. The Dragunov's were used for filming back in the states. We had some Tabuk Ak's built as well as a pair of Snipers. Two Rivers Arms-Steve Russsell built these.

As far as technical details like the reticles, clicks where they are not supposed to be or even editing two guns together, it kills us as well! The correct scopes and reticles were provided. Some things are just out of our control! One of the gun mags is doing a big article on the guns and will have some great pics. Keep an eye for that!
Thanks
ISS Weapons"

pastorwug

This movie is rated R for violence, gore, and pervasive language throughout.
If the Parent is not accompanying the child under 17 they are not allowed to enter our theater where we live to see this movie.

I've seen plenty of gore in my lifetime, I surely want to limit the amount my children would see, they can make up their own mind when they turn 17.

Pervasive language is a whole other issue to me, I get plenty of it at our local PD and I get tired of it - I don't get tired of the people, just of the lack of thought required to use such language.

Several of my PD friends that have seen the movie have said to me - save your money and buy a box of ammo instead - more satisfying.

Thank you to all that have reviewed this movie.

Jk909

Every American should see this movie. It really does a good job at showing what these heroes go through for us. I wish his family the best.

I got a chance to see it yesterday... for people like myself, that have never been in the military, but have many friends and family in the in the military, it's a powerful movie.

I have friends in the special forces and speaking from the experience of knowing them after they come back from a tour, it always took time to readjust... some never did. They never talk about the things they have seen or done... I think that is the second hardest part... the first being the things they are called upon to do.

It is so sad they way he did... after all the things he had seen and had to do, to the fight that was needed to bring himself back from that dark place... he loses his life to someone he was trying to help.

When the movie ended... you could have heard a pin drop... no one made a sound. That's a powerful movie.

72blubyu

The movie is a must see and was very well done. This was one of the only books I have read since my college days and it was a book that once I started reading I didn't stop until I was done.

Hot94Z28

The movie is a must see and was very well done. This was one of the only books I have read since my college days and it was a book that once I started reading I didn't stop until I was done.

I do read books sometime but this was one I started reading on a Friday afternoon and by Saturday night I was done.

JeepDrum

Saw the movie this afternoon. When the film ended, most of the theatregoers including myself sat silently in our seats and got ourselves together before we hit the exit. I won't say anything about an appropriate age to see it, but it had an impact on the adults in the IMAX. I'm gonna see it again.:thumb::thumb:
It was powerful. I experienced the same thing, and it was very moving to walk out of a silent theater.
I wanted to finish the book before I saw the movie, but my girlfriend wanted to do the dinner and a movie thing tonight and she picked it. I might go see it again after I do finish the book.

Jackal01

Finally saw it on Thursday. It was pretty much everything I expected from a Clint Eastwood movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it as did the wife (whom admittedly doesn't normally like movies like that). I only got irritated when some in the audience actually clapped twice: When the other sniper was killed and at the end-credits. I never understood applause at a movie.

Clark Collins

Awesome movie. I didn't know ahead how it was going to end. Way sad that he was killed that way. I have a brother who was in Seal Team 6 and those guys are a special breed. Now his son is a Seal.

I was in the Navy from 61-65, but didn't have to go to Viet Nam. I lost a friend in that war and am so glad that our troops are getting more respect now than they did back then.

Top Bottom