Amp'd Up JKU Sport Build

seansheds

My plan is to eventually install EVO Rockskins and Rock Sliders, but since that will cost around a grand with welding I decided I needed something in the meantime even for offroading stock. Craig's List to the rescue! I picked up a set of Rubi Rails for $100 and since I'd seen them in action I knew they would work, but I would still need to be careful.

It was time for the granny steps to go anyway. :2thumbsup:

Running boards removed. It felt bigger already. (that's what she said :D)
IMG_7258.jpg

Chopping a couple inches off so they're ready for the 35's. Luckily the 2014 already has the angle cut rear pinch seam.
IMG_7259.jpg

The Project Manager
IMG_7261.jpg

It's amazing how different she looks without the running boards!
IMG_7262.jpg

seansheds

The same weekend I installed the Rubi Rails I also installed a CB. I saw that most runs require them or a race radio so I figured it was time. I went with the Cobra 75 WX ST because of it's compact size, a Firestik II 4' antenna, and although not the ideal place to mount the antenna, a spare tire mount bracket.

I didn't take any photos of the install but it was easy. My SWR meter didn't come in time so I would have to tune it later.

IMG_7257.jpg

I found this really cool handset bracket on Amazon. The top extension holds a race radio it's a perfect combo having both in one place. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1VSZD6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_7294.jpg

seansheds

It was now the 3rd week of May and I had made up my mind that I was going to do the lift next month sometime. I had been watching Craig's List for tires but nothing good had come up. Then I saw a set go up from a member on here. They were Dick Cepek Mud Country's with about 14k miles so I immediately reached out. Lucky me, I got them! He was dropping his Jeep off at ORE right before Memorial Day weekend and I would be able to pick them up the week after (now this week). Perfect!

I also knew I was going to need a tire carrier. I decided I wanted a gate mounted one to have freedom of choice of bumpers. I narrowed it down to the EVO Gate Mounted Carrier, Crawler Conceptz Gate Mounted Carrier, and the Maximus-3 carrier. Each one had it's pro's and con's so I wanted to get some feedback. As luck would have it a guy I know reached out and said he would sell me his Crawler Conceptz for a great price because he was switching to EVO Corner Armor and Body mounted carrier. The deal was too good to pass up so I accepted.

It was an easy swap because we agreed to just swap hinges since they have to be cut to install the carrier. He also wanted my stock carrier to use temporarily until he got his new one. I said no problem.

Out with the old! I had to re-route my CB cable since the carrier plate covers the hole on the right side. I just routed it through on the left side with the third brake light wires.
IMG_7301.jpg

In with the new! He had it clear coated but it didn't last so I'll be taking it to get powder-coated soon. So far it's solid and no rattles. I even put it through a day off road and no issues.
IMG_7308.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

seansheds

It's now May 24th and I remembered the Fishbone bumper giveaway was today at 5pm. Of course I forgot about it at 5 and I was talking to my wife when I saw a notification from wayoflife come in. It didn't even dawn on me but thankfully I checked my phone a minute later and saw this message...

Congratulations seansheds
You have just been selected to WIN a Fishbone Front Bumper!!
You now have 5 minutes to respond to this thread and claim your prize

NOTE: If you are NOT seansheds, DO NOT post on this thread as you will be disqualified from this giveaway.

Wait, WHAT? I freaking won?! Shit, respond as quick as possible. I was afraid I missed the 5 minute window but Eddie responded "Congrats, you won!". AWESOME! I couldn't believe it and neither could my wife.

Thanks again Eddie and Cindy, and Fishbone!!

seansheds

Super Amp'd that I won the bumper I just couldn't wait any longer so I order my shocks, a ProCal, and some other odds and ends. I also decided I needed a Memorial Day weekend project so I took a drive to ORE to get the EVO Rockstars which raise your rear shock mount location 1.5" and add skids to the LCA and shock mount.

Well, since I drove all that way (30 min :cheesy:) of course I couldn't leave without some other goodies!

:eek:

IMG_7300.jpg

SHIT JUST GOT REAL!

seansheds

I had been debating whether to skid the evap canister or just relocate it. Well, I figure it's one less thing I have to worry about and deal with if it's relocated. Plus it ended up being a little less money than a skid so I ordered a kit from Dominion Offroad (http://www.jeepswag.com/shop/?s=evap&post_type=product).

This was my Sunday project over Memorial Day weekend and it was a pretty easy install. The directions were decent and everything went smoothly until I had a mismatched bolt and nut. The threads were slightly different, and of course I couldn't find anything around the garage. I made a quick run to Home Depot, but unfortunately they didn't have either combination in stainless so I grabbed a non-stainless nut to use temporarily. I need to call them today and have them send me the proper nut. For $70 and an hour to install I think this mod is worth it.

IMG_7353.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

seansheds

Memorial Day Monday my plan was to install the Rockstar skids :rock: and oil pan skid. I was doing some family stuff in the morning so I didn't get started until around 1pm. I figured the Rockstar skids :rock: would take a couple hours so I started with them. Good thing I did.

Everything started off fine. I jacked up the Jeep and got it on stands, removed the wheels and got started on the passenger side. Shock, sway bar link, and rear side of the LCA removed and out came the sawzall. It was my first time cutting through welds and even with a good new blade it's tough. I cut everything off and used the grinder to finish it up.

I went to slide the skid on but no way it was going on. I read in another thread about someone having the same problem and the issue is the LCA mount flares out slightly, but the skid does not have that flare. BFH time. I gave one side a bunch of whacks to remove the flare and the skid finally went on. Then there was an issue with one of the holes not lining up. So I got out the drill and made the one hole just large enough so the bolt would slide in. Ok, passenger side is good so I painted the exposed metal and moved to the driver's side while the paint dried.

I hadn't removed LCA on the driver's side yet and as soon as I did the whole axle rotated forward. FAK, I forgot about that! Oh well, thankfully I have a floor jack so I'll be able to jack up the pinion and reset the angle later. Same issues with installing the driver's side and same hole not lining up. Once I got it all done I painted it up and moved back to the passenger side.

I go to put the LCA back into the slot and it was tight, real tight. Now this is normally a good thing :cool:, but not in this case. I beat the crap out of it with the rubber mallet but could not get the holes to line up. It's because I removed the flare in the LCA bracket now the metal sleeve (not sure what it's called) in the center of the CA joint was too long. After trying to work it from every angle my only option was to use the grinder and shave some metal off each side of the sleeve. I finally got it to go in and put everything back together, then did the driver's side. I put the wheels back on and let it settle then torqued all the bolts down.

It ended up taking 5 hours instead of 2 so I never got to the oil pan skid. Granted I did take a fair amount of time with a wet rag cleaning off the "dumb ass mud trip" I took a few weeks back! I won't be doing that again. Shit sucks to get off!

In the end, even though they were a pain in the ass, I'm glad I installed the skids. They should prove to be useful and I'm getting some much needed wrench time and learning along the way. Now I know to at least double my time estimates!

F*$king mud!!! :doh:
IMG_7357.jpg

Much better!
IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

Ain't gonna happen :grayno:
IMG_7360.jpg

:rock:
IMG_7361.jpg

IMG_7364.jpg

seansheds

That brings us to today. You guys are all caught up now.

I'm heading to ORE this afternoon to pick up my tires and I'll be installing the lift Saturday. Stay tuned and wish me luck!

seansheds

Oh yeah, so my long term plan is to run on the D30 and 35's until I can get a ProRock 44. Right now I'm looking at the Trail Leader package since it includes the built PR44 Ultimate and the entire rear kit with 35 spline shafts, ARB locker, R&P and install kit, and a diff cover. I would drop in the PR44 and just have to have the gears done in the rear. KMC Machete wheels and 37x13.50 STT Pros.

This plan of course could change too. Maybe I'll need a PR60/80! :hmm:

seansheds

Also, I'm glad all of us that day at Cougar Buttes changed your whole jeep-world. Like watching an illness take hold, it was great!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

For real man. Complete take-over! It brought back my young days of quads and motocross racing. I wish I never got away from it and I'm glad I'm back on a bigger scale. Better late than never!

Top Bottom