Andys Jeep build

nbunga

Caught the Bug
How'd you bleed it? When I did mine, I was parked on my driveway that is an uphill slope and I jacked up the front just enough to get the wheels off the ground. Added fluid, fired up the Jeep and turned lock to lock about 20 times. Added more fluid. Lock to lock another 20 times. Let it sit with the cap off the res for 30 minutes. Checked fluid level. Lock to lock another 20 times. Put the cap on and it was good to go. Checked fluid again in the morning.

There is a noticable "no power steering" feel when pulling into a parking space and having to go left to right at low RPM quickly. Giving it a little tap on the gas fixes that. Otherwise no issues during normal driving or crawling.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

That’s pretty much how I did it. I went by the PSC instructions. Test drove it after about 3 bleeding cycles.

I think I’m going to take the ram out of the equation and cap off the ports on the gear to see how it does. Should be able to rule out the gearbox that way.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Yes. Checked that with the tie rod end of the cylinder disconnected.

What are using for a reservoir? Are you sucking air possibly? What you are describing is exactly what I experienced when I had my ram lines reversed. You got me.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Try disconnecting the ram, and cap the ports or just strap the ram up off the tie rod. This will confirm whether or not the ram and gear are working in unison. One could be out running the other causing the issue. If your steering comes back to normal, the ram/steering gear combo is not set up right.

If you still have the issue, then it’s the gear or pump. Since the pump was fine prior to the install, I would guess it’s the gear.

Sucks Andy. Worst case, call Kelvin at PSC, he might have done ideas.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

nbunga

Caught the Bug
What are using for a reservoir? Are you sucking air possibly? What you are describing is exactly what I experienced when I had my ram lines reversed. You got me.

It’s the stock reservoir, I’ll double check in the morning, it would be nice if it were just swapped hoses.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Try disconnecting the ram, and cap the ports or just strap the ram up off the tie rod. This will confirm whether or not the ram and gear are working in unison. One could be out running the other causing the issue. If your steering comes back to normal, the ram/steering gear combo is not set up right.

If you still have the issue, then it’s the gear or pump. Since the pump was fine prior to the install, I would guess it’s the gear.

Sucks Andy. Worst case, call Kelvin at PSC, he might have done ideas.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I’ll try that in the morning. It worked fine with the gear capped off before I plumbed the ram in, but that was while it was still up on jackstands and no tires on the front.

I wonder if there’s a possibility that the sector shaft brace could be binding things up.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ll try that in the morning. It worked fine with the gear capped off before I plumbed the ram in, but that was while it was still up on jackstands and no tires on the front.

I wonder if there’s a possibility that the sector shaft brace could be binding things up.

That I don’t know, maybe. But that’s a lot of force to bind up.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Weebz

Caught the Bug

I’m betting you have the hoses reversed. Fingers crossed.

nbunga

Caught the Bug

I hope so. If is the gear I guess I’ll just port mine and see how it does. After a little researching it looks pretty simple to just drill and tap your own.

rubiDave

If it were me, I'd try disconnecting the tie rod end of the ram and seeing if the ram is in sync with the steering direction. Maybe there's some debris or an obstruction in one of the ram lines?
Good luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug

Yo we’re right! Good call. It was weird though, with the ram unhooked from the tie rod, it seemed to be moving in the right direction according to where the steering wheel turned. Just very erratic and not very well in sync. So I thought it was plumbed correctly. It was only when I turned the tires by hand with the ram still disconnected that the cylinder was moving in and out perfectly synced, but backwards.

Now that that’s taken care of I can finally get to all the pidley crap I wanna do before next week.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Yo we’re right! Good call. It was weird though, with the ram unhooked from the tie rod, it seemed to be moving in the right direction according to where the steering wheel turned. Just very erratic and not very well in sync. So I thought it was plumbed correctly. It was only when I turned the tires by hand with the ram still disconnected that the cylinder was moving in and out perfectly synced, but backwards.

Now that that’s taken care of I can finally get to all the pidley crap I wanna do before next week.

Well that is great news and I’m sure a relief! On to the next.

jdofmemi

That's a prime example of why I gave up on getting the hydro hooked up before the trip.

I've already got enough problems to fix, don't need one more.

Glad to hear that you got it handled👍

Top Bottom