Andys Jeep build

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Holes all reamed, drag link and tie rod installed.
IMG_0994.jpg
Ported steering gear installed, went pretty well, just lowered it in with an electric hoist.

Anyone ever run into this issue?
I think I need to clock my pitman arm 90*, I can’t get to my steering stop going full driver before I hit the gearbox stop. That’s with the drag link adjusted all the way in. The box was used so I’m thinking the arm may have been installed 90* off. I’ll have to pick up a puller today, mine are all to big.
IMG_0992.jpg IMG_0993.jpg

Weebz

Caught the Bug
View attachment 349694
Ported steering gear installed, went pretty well, just lowered it in with an electric hoist.

I think I need to clock my pitman arm 90*, I can’t get to my steering stop going full driver before I hit the gearbox stop. That’s with the drag link adjusted all the way in. The box was used so I’m thinking the arm may have been installed 90* off. I’ll have to pick up a puller today, mine are all to big.
View attachment 349695 View attachment 349696

Do you have that much additional travel the other way? Disconnect the tie rod and see.

JKbrick

View attachment 349694

View attachment 349695 View attachment 349696

I have a puller you can use but I’m not home today

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Do you have that much additional travel the other way? Disconnect the tie rod and see.

Yes. Starting from a centered steering wheel, I can turn at least one full turn more to passenger, that’s with nothing connected to the pitman arm.

Steering goes lock to lock fine with DL disconnected. I got a puller at Napa so I’ll mess with it more tomorrow morning. I have to work on it in the mornings before the kids get up, once they’re up it’s a little hard to concentrate.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Ok, the pitman arm was fine, I ha my tie rod adjust all the way in, every turns as it should.

Question on the ram install. When I mount it, I want the steering all the way to passenger with the cylinder fully compressed? This seems like the way it should go. IMG_1011.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Ok, the pitman arm was fine, I ha my tie rod adjust all the way in, every turns as it should.

Question on the ram install. When I mount it, I want the steering all the way to passenger with the cylinder fully compressed? This seems like the way it should go. View attachment 349717

Yes, but also check it at full extension on the driver side too.

Looks correct in the picture to get the tabs burned on. You can adjuster exact position on the TR mount later on.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Yes, but also check it at full extension on the driver side too.

Looks correct in the picture to get the tabs burned on. You can adjuster exact position on the TR mount later on.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Good thing you told me that. The clamp was hitting the diff cover the first time I tacked it on.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
So I got the hydro all mounted and plumbed up. Bled the system about 10 times. Sector shaft and track bar braces installed. Steering wheel aligned and toe in set. Now I don’t know what the heck is going on.

Seemed to work pretty good at first, went out back to my shooting berm to check clearances. Seemed to be a little slower than I expected. But I’ve only ever driven one other hydro setup and that was a full PSC system, not a homemade cobbled together version that I’m praying I won’t regret doing. Took it up and down the driveway a few times and it got even worse. At one point it was like I had no power steering at all. Got it back in the shop and tried bleeding it a few more times. Seemed to be a little better. Just very inconsistent, steers nice and smooth some of the time and really hard to steer some times.

Engine RPM doesn’t seem to have much effect on it, so it would seem that the pump is putting out enough.

There is also a definite hard hesitation when switching directions, like it stops right at first then continues on.

Could there still be air in the system?

Did I get ripped off on a used steering gear? Supposedly it was a good one that the guy just upgraded to PSC when he went up to 40s. But it was Facebook, so you know how that goes.

Any suggestions much appreciated

And I know I should have just gone PSC to begin with🤷*♀️

BaddestCross

How'd you bleed it? When I did mine, I was parked on my driveway that is an uphill slope and I jacked up the front just enough to get the wheels off the ground. Added fluid, fired up the Jeep and turned lock to lock about 20 times. Added more fluid. Lock to lock another 20 times. Let it sit with the cap off the res for 30 minutes. Checked fluid level. Lock to lock another 20 times. Put the cap on and it was good to go. Checked fluid again in the morning.

There is a noticable "no power steering" feel when pulling into a parking space and having to go left to right at low RPM quickly. Giving it a little tap on the gas fixes that. Otherwise no issues during normal driving or crawling.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom