Another manufacturer claiming installer error

did you remember to put the release bearing back in and the right way round? silly question but I've seen so many people get the trans back in and all buttoned up and boom there's the release bearing still sitting on the side. :cheesy:

TOB was installed right as confirmed by the new grease that was put in the slave cylinder dowel hole. Also I'm driving it just fine now on the same new TOB.

hmm only other things I can think of are the flywheel and throw out bearing transmission post confirm it's not hanging up.

Maybe when you get it back it'll still be assembled the way they tested it. Might be worth a call to see what model they tested it on?

I've also run into problems where I didn't have the clutch aligned perfectly and the fingers weren't pressing even all around - luckily my brother-in-law (mechanically better than me) looked at it and noticed it wasn't even all around. Don't know how I managed to get it uneven but I did...

Gonna call them directly tomorrow and see just what testing was done and on what model. My rig had less than 20k miles on it when I got it and I'm pretty sure it was still on the original clutch.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
OP, if you are 110% sure you installed the clutch correct, and REALLY believe you were wronged, dispute the charges on your credit card. Make Centerforce prove the clutch is perfect to the CC company. There is no way I'd eat a $400 loss if I was truly wronged.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The thing that strikes a nerve with me is that if they insist in doing an "inspection" of the clutch and do so by "installing" it on some kind of test rigs prior to them issuing a refund or replacement, I would think they'd have to show some kind of proof that this was actually done. Even if they are right and you are wrong, I'd have a hard time accepting that just based on their word.

JKWrang

The thing that strikes a nerve with me is that if they insist in doing an "inspection" of the clutch and do so by "installing" it on some kind of test rigs prior to them issuing a refund or replacement, I would think they'd have to show some kind of proof that this was actually done. Even if they are right and you are wrong, I'd have a hard time accepting that just based on their word.

Moreover - the labor involved in this "test" alone more than likely covers the cost of the part itself... if its REALLY good why not just ship out a new one and repackage the original? Suppose it is perfectly operational and they tested it - sell it again and remove any/all doubt from the consumer.

Just got off the phone with Roger at Centerforce. I was able to clarify a few issues with him in regards to the "testing" they did.
1) Their test rig is nothing more than an OEM flywheel laying on a bench.
2). He "believes" the flywheel is from a 3.8 OR 4.0
3). He stated that the same flywheel has an OEM pilot bearing and bushing and that their clutch does not require an aftermarket replacement that it will work fine with an OEM one.
4) He stated that he provided pictures ( my 4WP contact is going to provide them to me ), of the clutch mounted to their "test rig" and showing a 1/4" space between the clutch plate thru shaft and pilot bearing whereas no such space existed when mounted on my vehicle.
5). When I asked him how we can rectify this situation so that I'm not stuck with a $400 part I can't use, he stated, " I can't do anything else for you until YOU prove to US that it does not fit your jeep". Which, roughly translated means bend over and assume the position.

Call #2 to Centerforce produced some slightly better results.
This time I spoke to Roman who happens to be the first customer service rep that was contacted when we first returned the clutch two months ago.
He stated that I need to return the clutch to them yet again because it seems the only testing they did on it was for clearance, they never even checked to see why it wasn't releasing. But at least this time I wasn't "Double Dog Dared" to prove it doesn't work.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Just got off the phone with Roger at Centerforce. I was able to clarify a few issues with him in regards to the "testing" they did.
1) Their test rig is nothing more than an OEM flywheel laying on a bench.
2). He "believes" the flywheel is from a 3.8 OR 4.0
3). He stated that the same flywheel has an OEM pilot bearing and bushing and that their clutch does not require an aftermarket replacement that it will work fine with an OEM one.
4) He stated that he provided pictures ( my 4WP contact is going to provide them to me ), of the clutch mounted to their "test rig" and showing a 1/4" space between the clutch plate thru shaft and pilot bearing whereas no such space existed when mounted on my vehicle.
5). When I asked him how we can rectify this situation so that I'm not stuck with a $400 part I can't use, he stated, " I can't do anything else for you until YOU prove to US that it does not fit your jeep". Which, roughly translated means bend over and assume the position.

Dude, dispute it on your credit card and stop messing around. Let them do the work and prove things to you, not vice versa. If you wait too long, that window will close (90 days in most cases.) Let them pay for the shipping both ways as well.

Dude, dispute it on your credit card and stop messing around. Let them do the work and prove things to you, not vice versa. If you wait too long, that window will close (90 days in most cases.) Let them pay for the shipping both ways as well.

That would work if I had used one. But, I may end up with a new one yet. They say it was shipped back to the store on the 14th of November and received at the store on the 18th, but there's no clutch at the store. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417641824.268293.jpg .

jeeeep

Hooked
that's just crazy and not much of a test.
hope it works out well. IMO if I were the manager at 4WP I would've refunded you out of good relations and worked it out with CF as a vendor

jeeeep

Hooked
that's it??? that's their testing?? :naw:

Well, if that's what they are showing as proof, I guess you putting it on your flywheel and showing that it's hitting with same type photos it should suffice as proof for a refund, that's insane

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Good luck. That is piss poor customer service. I installed a centerforce on my 83 Toyota 4x4 pickup about 20+ years ago and had zero issues. I would hope 4wp would back you up on this.

Kavanji

does the clutch disk have two "high" sides? according to your first photos it shows the centre high side protruding from the disc towards the engine. on the pics you got from centerforce it looks like the "high" side is facing away from the flywheel towards the gearbox.
if you ask me you installed the clutch disc the wrong way around because it was marked wrong. they probably did not even look at the markings on the disk because they know which way around it goes.

when you have all the bits back take some pics of the clutch disk.

Top Bottom