Anyone self quarantined? AKA - the 2020 SH!T SHOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

I see the thread's taken a few twists and turns :). To the original question, yes.

My wife has a history of RA and gastric related issues. With this in mind, I ended up taking her to the doctor w/o any expectation of having C19. Doctor sent us home and actually did not encourage C19 testing. Couple days later, my wife was so bad off I decided to take her to Urgent Care.

Interesting experience. This is a major facility but it looked like a ghost town. The didn't let you in. You drove up to the portico at the front, then doctors and nurses came out, fully garbed, and assessed you while in your car. Weird experience. Sent us to ER.

Getting to ER, another place that normally has a fairly full parking lot, a ghost town. Looking at # cars, had to wonder if they had enough staff on hand to watch the doors<g>. Pulling up to ER, looked like another ghost town. Just us. Went in to scope out the situation. They had a large canvas enclosure at the entrance w/two nurses who looked happy to have something to do.

Normally, you take your sick family member in and assist with registration if needed. That day, no. They took her in. Told me I could wait in the car or go home. After about 45 minutes, headed home. Talked by phone, but didn't see her again for 3 days.

Thought I'd scrape by, but no. My symptoms started a week after her's, and significantly different. She had most of the symptoms you hear. I pretty much only had headaches, fevers, and as it evolved, shortness of breath. Worst part of the whole thing, aside from general unpleasantness? How long it lasted. Days without evidence of improvement. At least with a cold, you can see its evolution of a 10 day period. This, not a lot of change day-to-day. Then, after about two weeks it, finally, started to lift. Closing on a month for me now, the last thing I'm recovering from is shortness of breath. Doing something lightweight, like climb stairs, play w/dogs for 2 minutes, or take a shower, left me really struggling. I can fully appreciate the need for respirators for elderly, who may already have diminished respiratory capacity.

Health department tracked us both, me because I was in direct contact, for 14 days after onset of symptoms. One criteria for declaring one's self 'recovered', 3 days at 100% and no fever. About 10 days no fever now.

In-between headaches, one can only watch so much Netflix or mindless TV. Things like reading, also triggered headaches. So, all I can say is, avoid it. It was a really rough way to get two weeks off work.

Glad to hear you’re coming around. My wife is on the end of her second week and starting to feel better. Her symptoms sound much like yours. For her the headache’s are hanging in the longest. I had nothing more than common cold symptoms and a bit more joint pain about a week or so prior to her. No symptoms have returned for me or the kids so far. Boredom of course is taking it’s toll but overall we are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

14ACES

You are right...it is like the kobayashi maru. A no win situation. But we need to try and find a way to win.

We needed to be locked down to control the curve. Imagine what would have happened if we did nothing. We would be looking at millions of deaths not 10 of thousands. The medical system would most likely collapse. Crime and violence would become the norm as people would do whatever the could to live.

However it also showed the USA and pretty the world was ill prepared for a complete pandemic disaster. We robbed from peter to pay paul. And now peter doesn’t have anything left to take!!

Even if we control the spread, allow time for our infrastructure to get supplied and up to speed. We still won’t have a cure or vaccine for it for quite awhile. Best case scenario 12 months. Probably closer to 18 months till the have it in production.

As a country we have to get back to work. The economy has to keep going. We will for the most part all catch it. People will die and it will suck. The question really is when that will happen.

The way we live is going to change. Social distancing will be the norm. Car dealers will go online, sit down restaurant and bars will probably go away till we have a cure. Movie theaters will disappear as will malls. We have even really touched gyms, concerts, churches, beaches and gatherings of large crowds. And the list goes on.

Our economy is going to change. Our lives are going to change and the impact is going to be huge. We will feel it for years to come.

I know my manufacturing business is feeling it. As most all of you are as well feeling it.

I am all about my rights and your rights. But being told to stay home is not infringing on our rights. Out of respect for your fellow man. You need to respect everyone rights too. Just because you aren’t afraid to get sick. Others are terrified. They know they will die if they catch it. That changes everything. I know if I was asymptotic and gave it to someone...I knew or loved and they died because I want out of my house. I would be devastated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yeah let’s destroy everything to keep people from dying.

I haven’t met one person that’s lived forever.

littlebeas

I see the thread's taken a few twists and turns :). To the original question, yes.

My wife has a history of RA and gastric related issues. With this in mind, I ended up taking her to the doctor w/o any expectation of having C19. Doctor sent us home and actually did not encourage C19 testing. Couple days later, my wife was so bad off I decided to take her to Urgent Care.

Interesting experience. This is a major facility but it looked like a ghost town. The didn't let you in. You drove up to the portico at the front, then doctors and nurses came out, fully garbed, and assessed you while in your car. Weird experience. Sent us to ER.

Getting to ER, another place that normally has a fairly full parking lot, a ghost town. Looking at # cars, had to wonder if they had enough staff on hand to watch the doors<g>. Pulling up to ER, looked like another ghost town. Just us. Went in to scope out the situation. They had a large canvas enclosure at the entrance w/two nurses who looked happy to have something to do.

Normally, you take your sick family member in and assist with registration if needed. That day, no. They took her in. Told me I could wait in the car or go home. After about 45 minutes, headed home. Talked by phone, but didn't see her again for 3 days.

Thought I'd scrape by, but no. My symptoms started a week after her's, and significantly different. She had most of the symptoms you hear. I pretty much only had headaches, fevers, and as it evolved, shortness of breath. Worst part of the whole thing, aside from general unpleasantness? How long it lasted. Days without evidence of improvement. At least with a cold, you can see its evolution of a 10 day period. This, not a lot of change day-to-day. Then, after about two weeks it, finally, started to lift. Closing on a month for me now, the last thing I'm recovering from is shortness of breath. Doing something lightweight, like climb stairs, play w/dogs for 2 minutes, or take a shower, left me really struggling. I can fully appreciate the need for respirators for elderly, who may already have diminished respiratory capacity.

Health department tracked us both, me because I was in direct contact, for 14 days after onset of symptoms. One criteria for declaring one's self 'recovered', 3 days at 100% and no fever. About 10 days no fever now.

In-between headaches, one can only watch so much Netflix or mindless TV. Things like reading, also triggered headaches. So, all I can say is, avoid it. It was a really rough way to get two weeks off work.

Glad to hear you and your wife came through the other side. Hearing your symptoms, I swear I had this thing back in late January. That fever was like nothing I’ve ever had and I was just as pitiful with the shortness of breath. I went to the doctor (which I rarely do) and it wasn’t the flu or strep, but it took me weeks to get over. It also went through my work ridiculously quick, over half us were the walking dead. It was starting to pop off in China at the time, but no one thought it was here yet. I’d be interested to do the antibody test when it becomes widely available. Felt like a drama queen when I had it because I’m an overall healthy guy and some moments felt like I needed to go to the hospital.

jesse3638

Hooked
My personal opinion is we have had it here for a lot longer than we realized. I know a bunch of people who experienced these symptoms back in November and December. Should have left things alone, let people get it and start building immunities. Yes people would have died. It happens and is unfortunate. Life will go on. This is just fucking crazy. The way I do my job has completely changed and is making it very difficult. I signed up for my job and know what I got into. Last night I was working a trauma patient. My hands were covered in blood holding this guys scalp on his head. I had a fucking N95 on that was choking me while causing my now required safety glasses to fog up, and had to pull it down. My protocol said I was supposed to put a surgical mask on him before treating him. When we got him into the ambulance I was taking my gloved off and the fucker ripped right in my palm. Now his blood is on my skin. What I did was put on a new set so I could keep working without putting bloody handprints all over. When it was all said and done my coworker and I had this guy's blood all over our PPE. We deconed our equipment, and I washed my hands thoroughly before doing anything else. I knew this all was a possibility before I signed up to do this job 17 years ago. If frustrates me to no end to hear about all these Healthcare workers bitching about the situation they are in while doing what they signed up to do. The people I have the most empathy for are the people keeping us fed and all our necessities coming into our home. They have been in contact with far more people and most likely people with the bullshit, but don't even know it until they get sick. Bottom line humans are one of the most filthy creatures on this planet. I honestly question all this social distancing and its real affects. Did it just delay the outcome we are experiencing now? Would it have been worse if we did nothing? Could it have been lessened if we welded our doors shut? Who knows. What I do see is this pandemic has restored humanity a little. For a short time people are actually going out of their way helping one another and putting their own entitlements on the back burner. I'm going to miss all of that when this ends and it's back to the status quo, gimme gimme gimme. I do realize there is probably a lot of ignorance in this rant that's why I'm ending it now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
As much shit as I give you for being a hose dragger, you have my respect.

You can’t pay me enough to deal with that shit. (Blood, brains, bodily fluid).

Right there with you Jessie.

It’s nauseating to hear the nurses and health care workers bitch and complain. I’m glad they are getting some recognition but the complainers need to fucking quit. It’s the job they signed up for! “Get to fighten or get away”

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Right there with you Jessie.

It’s nauseating to hear the nurses and health care workers bitch and complain. I’m glad they are getting some recognition but the complainers need to fucking quit. It’s the job they signed up for! “Get to fighten or get away”

I wasn’t going to say it, but when cops get shot that’s what I hear.

dustinfromohio

The problem with this whole isolation plan is that it’s temporary and designed around the premise that everything will eventually go back to normal. Unfortunately, as global trade continues to grow and more people travel internationally, pandemics like this will increase in frequency. It’s no coincidence that small pox, Spanish flu, etc were associated with major conflicts and troop movements. We’ve been dealing with this in the arborist world for decades now. First Dutch Elm disease (from Asia) wiped out the majority of our Elms, then Emerald Ash borer (from Asia) wiped out all of our Ash trees, now spotted lantern fly and Asian long horned beetle (you guessed it, from Asia) are decimating dozens of other species. Each time the USDA attempts to quarantine and each time they are unsuccessful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom