Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

Are you happy with the spring rates that came on your EVO Bolt-On Coil Overs?

• Yes, I am competely satified with the spring rates I got out of the box.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • No. I wish they came with a softer spring rate

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • No. I wish they came with a heavier spring rate

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters
When I had them, I switched the rear uppers to 250 making both front and rear 250/250 and loved the ride and, lift height and less rear bottoming out vs 200/250 rear I started with. No complaints at all when running this kit. It was fun to experiment and change spring rates and lift height.

Scott helped me in my first set and I ordered the 250's for the top rear on this set I'm going to install. Out of the box, I bottomed out so bad I did t think they filled the CO's with nitrogen. I carry too much stuff, but this set up SaddleTramp posted is perfect for me now!

SaddleTramp

Scott helped me in my first set and I ordered the 250's for the top rear on this set I'm going to install. Out of the box, I bottomed out so bad I did t think they filled the CO's with nitrogen. I carry too much stuff, but this set up SaddleTramp posted is perfect for me now!

Even a blind squirrel (me) finds a nut eventually, lol. Let's get that new kit on Duke this weekend! ;-)

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I went from a JK with EVO bolt on's to a jeep with a Skyjacker kit.

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

upnover

I need to check my rates out, but I am happy with mine. Haven't had a bottoming out issue. I have maybe an 1.5" front and .5" rear preload.

Tree Frog

Well this is another great thread! :thumb:

I am running the out of the box setup from EVO. To tired to go look what the world it is right now. I know its 250/ 250 in the front. Back?
4 door with a lot of heavy stuff on it and in it.
1 inch of preload in the front and 3/4 in the back. Overall lift is right at 3.875 from the factory spec. sheet that it floating around the internet.
My rock rail is sitting dead nuts level to the garage floor.

I was running 170 psi in all corners and have now dropped it down to 150. Seems a little smoother.

Part that has got me bummed is the crappy up travel. I have got about an inch to 1.5 in the back and maybe 2 in the front.

I am on 35's right now and with 3.875 of lift it looks kind of high to me. Rides like a dream with the long arms and really I only smack the bumpstops every once in a while.

I had a front slider that was sticking and making a lot of noise. Took everything apart and found that sand had gotten in there and had made what looked like tile grout between the shock body and the slider.
Some pretty deep groves in the shock body already. about 2000-2500 miles since install. Took everything apart and cleaned real well then started with a green 3-M pad and worked gently down to 1000 grit.
Then polished with Mothers Aluminum polish. Nice and quiet right now.

The front slider is on a smooth shock body but the rear sliders ride on a threaded portion of the body.

Overall very happy, but kind of surprised how little up travel. Keep looking at the Ultra-4 rigs with a major amount of up travel. (I know- It's not an Ultra 4 rig :naw:)

Havoc40

Happy to see this thread. I'm installing my bolt ons this weekend. My rig is a little heavy, so I thought ahead and ordered some springs for the rear to play with. I have 225, 250, and 275 uppers coming. Also have 275, 300, and 325 lowers coming.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have been running them for couple years now and out of the box with my 4 door loaded up they sagged bad in the back. Switched to 300/300 in the back and they still bottom with doors/too and fully loaded. I will probably go to 350 in the rear and move the 300s up front.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Funny
Not one post gives a spring length

Lol sorry I read spring rate. Well all the spring lengths are the same. It's the rate that's different. Also spring length will be different when mounted due to people having the adjustment collar set differently

filterbiz

Lol sorry I read spring rate. Well all the spring lengths are the same. It's the rate that's different. Also spring length will be different when mounted due to people having the adjustment collar set differently

Spring lengths are not always the same
For instance
I have 14"bottom 250 and 10" top 200
Wondering how the evos come out of the box?

Havoc40

Out of the box EVO springs are:

Front 12" upper/12" lower with 250/250lb springs
Rear 10" upper/12" lower with 200/250lb springs

Kking08

does anybody know of a guide as far as spring weights and weight for the bolt on coilovers? I am new to the coilover game but i feel like my setup isn't right. I have a heavy rig with steel corner armor, steel fenders and 37s. My jeep feels fine in the front end but seems to be a little "soft" in the rear.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
does anybody know of a guide as far as spring weights and weight for the bolt on coilovers? I am new to the coilover game but i feel like my setup isn't right. I have a heavy rig with steel corner armor, steel fenders and 37s. My jeep feels fine in the front end but seems to be a little "soft" in the rear.

Mine was too soft in the rear also. I ended up switching the rear coils to 250/300 and still hit the bumpstops once in awhile when loaded.

I have order both front and rear setup for my JKU today. I am completely new to coilover setups and how to adjust them for ride height and preload? Want a low center of gravity and also not to be so high I can't get my Jeep in my garage after the lift and 37" tires. My garage has an open height of about 90" and little lower than most.

Been also doing some research on bump stops and plan on picking up a set of King Air bumps for the front, what do you guys run for the rear?

Top Bottom