Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

Are you happy with the spring rates that came on your EVO Bolt-On Coil Overs?

• Yes, I am competely satified with the spring rates I got out of the box.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • No. I wish they came with a softer spring rate

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • No. I wish they came with a heavier spring rate

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I have order both front and rear setup for my JKU today. I am completely new to coilover setups and how to adjust them for ride height and preload? Want a low center of gravity and also not to be so high I can't get my Jeep in my garage after the lift and 37" tires. My garage has an open height of about 90" and little lower than most.

Been also doing some research on bump stops and plan on picking up a set of King Air bumps for the front, what do you guys run for the rear?

90" is huge, you should be able to set your jeep up WAY shorter than that with the bolt ons and 37s.
I have 4" of lift, 37s (toyos) and my jeep is just a hair over 78" tall with the factory soft top. One thing I would suggest looking into is the width, my garage door is 88" wide, LUCKY the jeep with slabs is only 84" wide... that was a close call... but height wise, your fine

Last edited:
90" is huge, you should be able to set your jeep up WAY shorter than that with the bolt ons and 37s.
I have 4" of lift, 37s (toyos) and my jeep is just a hair over 78" tall with the factory soft top. One thing I would suggest looking into is the width, my garage door is 88" wide, LUCKY the jeep with slabs is only 84" wide... that was a close call... but height wise, your fine

Okay, I will definitely look at the width. I will also be running the ATX Slabs with 37" Cooper STT Pro's so I assume if I am at 84" or more I should be good.

Edited... lol... the garage door is more like 80" to 81" tall.. will have to adjust the opening a little bit more in the up position to get the extra clearance, not 90" tall.

But, still I should clear if you are at 78" with a soft top and 37" on 4" lift. My setup is the exactly the same.

Last edited:

MOOK

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460215824.605470.jpg I'm trying to figure out my rear setup on these.. I have the 200/250 springs they come with but I feel they are to soft. I have poison spyder corners with aluminum fenders. LOD rear bumper an carrier 120lbs with 20x10 slabs an 40x1550 nitto MUDs. Pretty heavy set up. I'm at about 4.5in of lift. I'm constantly in my bumps while driving on the street. All 4 corners have 150psi, air bumps set at 75psi. I get a nice thud on almost any bump in the road in the rear. Any thoughts, suggestions on what spring weight to switch to? Right now I'm thinking 250/300. I'm just not trying to go above 4.5in of lift or be to stiff

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
View attachment 197187 I'm trying to figure out my rear setup on these.. I have the 200/250 springs they come with but I feel they are to soft. I have poison spyder corners with aluminum fenders. LOD rear bumper an carrier 120lbs with 20x10 slabs an 40x1550 nitto MUDs. Pretty heavy set up. I'm at about 4.5in of lift. I'm constantly in my bumps while driving on the street. All 4 corners have 150psi, air bumps set at 75psi. I get a nice thud on almost any bump in the road in the rear. Any thoughts, suggestions on what spring weight to switch to? Right now I'm thinking 250/300. I'm just not trying to go above 4.5in of lift or be to stiff

When I talked to ore about running my bolt ons with 40s they told me would need changes for sure. Suggested changing springs and maybe pressure to try it. Many times need to change the valving to compensate for the heavy 40s.

MOOK

When I talked to ore about running my bolt ons with 40s they told me would need changes for sure. Suggested changing springs and maybe pressure to try it. Many times need to change the valving to compensate for the heavy 40s.

I may have this wrong. But I wouldn't think the wheels and tires would have much influence on valving and springs because like axles are unsprung weight minus the spare.. More on the weight of the body itself? That may be different bombing through the desert but here in the east I don't get to experience that fun. This is just my understanding as I am unsure and still learning

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I may have this wrong. But I wouldn't think the wheels and tires would have much influence on valving and springs because like axles are unsprung weight minus the spare.. More on the weight of the body itself? That may be different bombing through the desert but here in the east I don't get to experience that fun. This is just my understanding as I am unsure and still learning

I live in Michigan so I'm in east. Yes it's unsprung weight but that unsprung weight is being forced upward when you hit a bump. I'm just telling you what they told me. I talked to both drew and mel about it so I'm assuming they know :)

MOOK

I live in Michigan so I'm in east. Yes it's unsprung weight but that unsprung weight is being forced upward when you hit a bump. I'm just telling you what they told me. I talked to both drew and mel about it so I'm assuming they know :)

Good info. That helps me understand better. The fronts with 250/250 do really well. Do you think the recommended 170psi in the rear would better benefit me instead of 150? I need to call them about my setup too, something I should of done by now

MOOK

Can always try it if u have a nitrogen fill tank

A friends shop does. Finally got around to checking them since the install and one of them had 80psi.. I still thought it rode great compared to the previous bds kit. At 150lbs it's even better than I thought it could be. Only the issue of the bumps hitting so easily. Going to start messing with it to see what we can get

thardy

Banned
A friends shop does. Finally got around to checking them since the install and one of them had 80psi.. I still thought it rode great compared to the previous bds kit. At 150lbs it's even better than I thought it could be. Only the issue of the bumps hitting so easily. Going to start messing with it to see what we can get

Have you thought about upping the pressure in the bumps?

MOOK

Have you thought about upping the pressure in the bumps?

Thought yes, unsure also. When I first installed the bumps I could move the driver side rear with my hand. Turned out it had zero psi in it. We then put in the 75psi and and the 150 psi in the shock. Ride improved but the thud over bumps also started. Makes me think more psi would make it more harse. Idk

Tree Frog

I went with 250/ 250 in the rear and it made all the difference. Running 150psi.

Really recommend getting your own fill kit and a nitrogen bottle. One of the little tanks is perfect as the reservoirs dont hold much capacity.
One of our guys here on WAL turned me on to a company on E-bay and I went that route. Got the bottle from Airgas (our local welding gas supplier)

Not an expert by any means but I would think you really want to stay off of the bumps as much as possible. Let the coilovers do the work and use the bumps for the really big nasty hits.

thardy

Banned
Thought yes, unsure also. When I first installed the bumps I could move the driver side rear with my hand. Turned out it had zero psi in it. We then put in the 75psi and and the 150 psi in the shock. Ride improved but the thud over bumps also started. Makes me think more psi would make it more harse. Idk

Depends on what's happening. Are the bumps compressing too quickly causing them to bottom out or are they causing the harsh hits?

MOOK

Depends on what's happening. Are the bumps compressing too quickly causing them to bottom out or are they causing the harsh hits?

Harsh hits. They are hitting maybe half way compressed on the worse hits and just barely 1/4 on average. They have yet to be bottomed out. They are recently installed. Right now the rig is in the shop replacing the PSC steering box. The one we just installed had a leak and PSC sent a new one out next day. Great customer service! When that is done over the next couple days we can adjust more in the rear. One way or another I do believe higher spring rates is a must, only how much more is what to figure out

MOOK

I went with 250/ 250 in the rear and it made all the difference. Running 150psi.

Really recommend getting your own fill kit and a nitrogen bottle. One of the little tanks is perfect as the reservoirs dont hold much capacity.
One of our guys here on WAL turned me on to a company on E-bay and I went that route. Got the bottle from Airgas (our local welding gas supplier)

Not an expert by any means but I would think you really want to stay off of the bumps as much as possible. Let the coilovers do the work and use the bumps for the really big nasty hits.

Thank you! I will look into that and should be a great help with monitoring the psi in these

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I ended up putting 250/300 in the rear. I still hit the bumpstops when I have the Jeep fully loaded. I am thinking of going 300/300 as I really like how it rides with the 250/300 setup. Running 37 inch Nittos with slabs.

Hammmerhead

I'm running 40X 15.5's too with the bolt ons. Do you have a pic of your bumpstop setup on the rear?

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
View attachment 197187 I'm trying to figure out my rear setup on these.. I have the 200/250 springs they come with but I feel they are to soft. I have poison spyder corners with aluminum fenders. LOD rear bumper an carrier 120lbs with 20x10 slabs an 40x1550 nitto MUDs. Pretty heavy set up. I'm at about 4.5in of lift. I'm constantly in my bumps while driving on the street. All 4 corners have 150psi, air bumps set at 75psi. I get a nice thud on almost any bump in the road in the rear. Any thoughts, suggestions on what spring weight to switch to? Right now I'm thinking 250/300. I'm just not trying to go above 4.5in of lift or be to stiff

My dad had the same problem with his rear kings. First they were to soft an then every bump there was a loud thump so the shop that put them on put a rubber house around something in the rear end act like a bump stop sorry it was so long ago I can't remember what they put the rubber house on.

Top Bottom