Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

Are you happy with the spring rates that came on your EVO Bolt-On Coil Overs?

• Yes, I am competely satified with the spring rates I got out of the box.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • No. I wish they came with a softer spring rate

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • No. I wish they came with a heavier spring rate

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters

Tree Frog

So you guys that are putting on the heavy springs,
Could you please post up your vehicle weights and any corner weights or front to rear bias if you have that data.

I am running 250's on all 8 coils right now. With the fronts set at 3/4 inch of preload and the rears at almost nothing.
Weight is right at 5500 with an almost even front/ rear bias.
Got rid of the new King sliders and went the AGM's I got from DChew. The King sliders were letting in sand and mud then grinding it up and eating the shock bodies.
Timing rings are set to run on mostly the primary coil as I want the softer ride.

Rides like a dream with no bottoming unless I really do something I should not be doing.

Just wondering how heavy you guys are?

utiadam

LOSER
So you guys that are putting on the heavy springs,
Could you please post up your vehicle weights and any corner weights or front to rear bias if you have that data.

I am running 250's on all 8 coils right now. With the fronts set at 3/4 inch of preload and the rears at almost nothing.
Weight is right at 5500 with an almost even front/ rear bias.
Got rid of the new King sliders and went the AGM's I got from DChew. The King sliders were letting in sand and mud then grinding it up and eating the shock bodies.
Timing rings are set to run on mostly the primary coil as I want the softer ride.

Rides like a dream with no bottoming unless I really do something I should not be doing.

Just wondering how heavy you guys are?

I really want to get mine weighed but not sure where to go. Is there normally a fee and if so how much?

Tree Frog

Cat scales near you

The Loves off of I-10 at the 162

The Petro off I-10 at the 199

TA off I-10 at the 203

About 10 bucks. Try to put one axle on one scale and the other axle on the next scale. It will give you front/ rear and total.
Just like weighing an RV or straight truck.

Here in OR we have scales all over for the log trucks. They are free to use and you just drive up and go at it. They are always on. I really wonder about the accuracy but it is within 50 lbs.
Cat scales are supposed to be pretty darn accurate with a guarantee should you get an overweight ticket. (Big Truck problems)

utiadam

LOSER
Cat scales near you

The Loves off of I-10 at the 162

The Petro off I-10 at the 199

TA off I-10 at the 203

About 10 bucks. Try to put one axle on one scale and the other axle on the next scale. It will give you front/ rear and total.
Just like weighing an RV or straight truck.

Here in OR we have scales all over for the log trucks. They are free to use and you just drive up and go at it. They are always on. I really wonder about the accuracy but it is within 50 lbs.
Cat scales are supposed to be pretty darn accurate with a guarantee should you get an overweight ticket. (Big Truck problems)

I'll try to hit up Loves at I10 when i leave work tomorrow

Tree Frog

Interesting that the big tire, the swing away tire carrier and all that weigh in at only 160 over what I am at. I want to say I had about 3/4 of a tank. Full hardtop on.
I guess I am carrying too much recovery crap around with me. But I would not leave home without it. (You just never know when the zombie apocalypse is going to start)

MOOK

Wanted to update as I got my new springs put on last night...

PacRacing Springs 225/325-front 275/325-rear

1st the ride is better, it doesn't float down the road like a boat on water anymore. Its still soft but much more stable. Also it does not hit the rear bumps anymore...

In the rear driver side I have zero pre load, maybe just under an half in pre load on the rear passenger side

both fronts have just under 3in of pre load...

IMG_2339.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic, lighting is terrible right now. When I have a better time of day and weather permits, Ill get better pics...

So basically now I have tons of lift... Im not even sure how much... Ive measure 15in of space in the front between coil spring mounts as to the 9-3/8 factory specs. Granted I do have UD60's, so I'm unsure how much that effects it.. The rake in the rear bothers me, but its as low as it can get.. I don't like the amount of pre load used in the front just to get it up to go with the rear..

At this point I think the bottom 325's are spot on but 250 top springs all around would better suffice. Thoughts and opinions?

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
View attachment 202995 here is another angle. Again sorry for the bad lighting

Im just talking out of my ass here and just a thought. But can you not switch the top rear springs to the top front ones? It might even it out a little better without having to put so much pre-load in the front and the rear might sit a little lower at the same time?

MOOK

Im just talking out of my ass here and just a thought. But can you not switch the top rear springs to the top front ones? It might even it out a little better without having to put so much pre-load in the front and the rear might sit a little lower at the same time?

The front top springs are 12in in length and the rear top are 10in in length. If they were equal in length then I could do that. Certainly would be cheaper ha! Doing more thinking I may start with 250s in the rear. Hopefully that will lower it and possibly be able to take some pre load in the front out. If I can get 1/4in of pre load out of the front and have the jeep level, I'll be happy

utiadam

LOSER
Sorry i barely noticed this thread was updated. The 250 on top all around could work to level it all around. That's quite a bit of preload in the front though. Maybe 250 top in rear and 275 top front? The whole thing seems to be a trial and error thing.

MOOK

Sorry i barely noticed this thread was updated. The 250 on top all around could work to level it all around. That's quite a bit of preload in the front though. Maybe 250 top in rear and 275 top front? The whole thing seems to be a trial and error thing.

I definitely want to take some of the pre load out up front. To the best I can, my measurements are showing me 5.5in of lift in the front. My UD 60s make it difficult to be more certain. I'd like to get that down to a max of 5in lift or just below. My front pre load measures at 2-7/8, so just under 3in. I'm thinking a half inch out will get me a decent pre load setting and the amount of lift I want. Changing the rear 275 out to a 250 or 225 will allow the rear to set lower to make the changes to the front possible. Choosing the rear is where I think I should start but wether i should go 250 or 225 idk

MOOK

What I'm thinking by what I'm seeing... I've got 5.5in of lift minimum in the front, maybe almost 6in rear as it sits now. Changing to 250 tops all around will set me even at 5.5in of lift all around. Keeping the front top 225 and changing to rear 225 top will get me around 5in of lift level all around. If that makes sense ha

MOOK

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463075334.847278.jpg here is another angle, I didn't take the pic to make the rear seem more drastic, it's really that much higher

Top Bottom